Black activists: Boycott Kobe Bryant NOW over Trayvon Martin comments

CaféAuLait;8849483 said:
Kobe Bryant Trayvon Martin Comments: Laker Star Takes Shots for Race Remarks on George Zimmerman Murder Case

"I won't react to something just because I'm supposed to, because I'm an African-American. That argument doesn't make any sense to me," Bryant said. "So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we've progressed as a society? Well, we've progressed as a society, then don't jump to somebody's defense just because they're African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won't assert myself."

Because he said one should wait for facts, there are demands he be boycotted.

Najee Ali, a self-described civil rights activist and Project Islamic H.O.P.E. director, called for boycott Thursday of all Bryant-related products, according to Fox News.

"African American youth should no longer buy Bryant's jerseys or shoes and should boycott all products he endorses," Ali said in a statement. "Bryant doesn't identify with the struggle that our African-American youth face nationally. So why should we continue to support Bryant who has never truly identified with the African American experience."

Others accuse him of being out of touch because he was raised in another country(pretty sure he was raised in the US?)

"(
(Kobe) is somewhat confused about culture, because he was brought up in another country," Brown said and Brown went onto say he would not be invited to any black athlete summits.

Kobe Bryant fires back at Jim Brown over African-American ?culture? comments | For The Win

Kobe Bryant Trayvon Martin Comments: Laker Star Takes Shots for Race Remarks on George Zimmerman Murder Case : US&Politics : Latin Post

Should Kobe be boycotted?

Kobe was not only raised in another country, he was raised by a father that played in the NBA. On top of that he did not deal with the racism most Black people go through. He was a star by the time he came back to the states to play high school ball. He had most people catering to him by then. I wouldnt give his thoughts much credence. As for boycotting him? I wouldn't call it boycotting but I would not waste money buying his stuff nor any other athletes stuff. He is an athlete and not someone who saves lives. When people stop lending credence to people just because they are famous maybe you will see school teachers get paid more than ball players. Priorities are strongly out of kilter.

Democrats attack people who tell the truth. White people are called racist for having the same opinion as Kobe, so does that mean Kobe is racist against black people too? :lol:

No. Kobe is just clueless never having to deal with it. He has "athlete privilege" instead of white privilege. People treat you totally different as an athlete. You pretty much can do no wrong.

Democrats attack people who tell the truth. White people are called racist for having the same opinion as Kobe, so does that mean Kobe is racist against black people too? :lol:

No. Kobe is just clueless never having to deal with it. He has "athlete privilege" instead of white privilege. People treat you totally different as an athlete. You pretty much can do no wrong.

Really? You are honestly going to state that the ‘clueless’ stance was to wait and see what the evidence shows before jumping on the poor TM bandwagon?

There was nothing clueless at all about his initial statements. The only reason that it upset others is because the race baiting assholes that feed on this type of thing can’t stand having even the tiniest voice of reason when they are selling their product. It’s pathetic.

Really? You are honestly going to state that the ‘clueless’ stance was to wait and see what the evidence shows before jumping on the poor TM bandwagon?

There was nothing clueless at all about his initial statements. The only reason that it upset others is because the race baiting assholes that feed on this type of thing can’t stand having even the tiniest voice of reason when they are selling their product. It’s pathetic.

I'm talking about the "is he racist?" comment. His initial statement was most likely done more in the interest of protecting his marketing power. Most superstars make a ton of money off white people by reflecting their beliefs and thoughts. You should talk to any sports agent sometime to see how the game is played. Michael Jordan had a priceless comment once when he said "Republicans buy shoes, too" .

CaféAuLait;8849483 said:
Kobe Bryant Trayvon Martin Comments: Laker Star Takes Shots for Race Remarks on George Zimmerman Murder Case

"I won't react to something just because I'm supposed to, because I'm an African-American. That argument doesn't make any sense to me," Bryant said. "So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we've progressed as a society? Well, we've progressed as a society, then don't jump to somebody's defense just because they're African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won't assert myself."

Najee Ali, a self-described civil rights activist and Project Islamic H.O.P.E. director, called for boycott Thursday of all Bryant-related products, according to Fox News.

"African American youth should no longer buy Bryant's jerseys or shoes and should boycott all products he endorses," Ali said in a statement. "Bryant doesn't identify with the struggle that our African-American youth face nationally. So why should we continue to support Bryant who has never truly identified with the African American experience."

Others accuse him of being out of touch because he was raised in another country(pretty sure he was raised in the US?)

"(
(Kobe) is somewhat confused about culture, because he was brought up in another country," Brown said and Brown went onto say he would not be invited to any black athlete summits.

Kobe Bryant fires back at Jim Brown over African-American ?culture? comments | For The Win

Kobe Bryant Trayvon Martin Comments: Laker Star Takes Shots for Race Remarks on George Zimmerman Murder Case : US&Politics : Latin Post

Kobe was not only raised in another country, he was raised by a father that played in the NBA. On top of that he did not deal with the racism most Black people go through. He was a star by the time he came back to the states to play high school ball. He had most people catering to him by then. I wouldnt give his thoughts much credence. As for boycotting him? I wouldn't call it boycotting but I would not waste money buying his stuff nor any other athletes stuff. He is an athlete and not someone who saves lives. When people stop lending credence to people just because they are famous maybe you will see school teachers get paid more than ball players. Priorities are strongly out of kilter.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I did not know he was raised out of the US. Is there really anything wrong with his saying one should know the facts before jumping to a conclusion though? I feel as if many people did. Could it be his being raised in another country could have led him to look for facts instead of jumping to conclusions?

I agree that much should not be put into what celebs say though. And their pay is ridiculous compared to teachers, firemen, police, military, etc.

CaféAuLait;8853592 said:
CaféAuLait;8849483 said:

"(

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I did not know he was raised out of the US. Is there really anything wrong with his saying one should know the facts before jumping to a conclusion though? I feel as if many people did. Could it be his being raised in another country could have led him to look for facts instead of jumping to conclusions?

I agree that much should not be put into what celebs say though. And their pay is ridiculous compared to teachers, firemen, police, military, etc.

Nothing wrong with with what he said about waiting to know the facts first. What ticked people off was the distancing himself from Blacks in general. He doesn't have the shared experience that most Black people have so its probably puzzling for him that Black people are quick to jump to the defense of other Black people without waiting to hear the whole story. He wasn't constantly dripped on for his entire life about all the negative things attributed to Black people by the media. Europe is different in that way. They have their problems with racism but its way worse over here.

CaféAuLait;8853592 said:

Nothing wrong with with what he said about waiting to know the facts first. What ticked people off was the distancing himself from Blacks in general. He doesn't have the shared experience that most Black people have so its probably puzzling for him that Black people are quick to jump to the defense of other Black people without waiting to hear the whole story. He wasn't constantly dripped on for his entire life about all the negative things attributed to Black people by the media. Europe is different in that way. They have their problems with racism but its way worse over here.

He isn't "black enough?"

CaféAuLait;8853592 said:

He isn't "black enough?"

He is either clueless, wary of tarnishing his image, or both.

Asclepias,

Do you think you would have been a house negro, a field negro or just getting your ass whooped all the time?

Asclepias,

Do you think you would have been a house negro, a field negro or just getting whooped all the time?

Do you mean if I was alive during slavery?
Ya, Sherlock

Hard to say if I was born during that time. People did what they had to do to survive back then. If I was transported back now i'd be killing white folks until they caught me and hung me. So none of the above.

Last edited:
Asclepias,

Do you think you would have been a house negro, a field negro or just getting your ass whooped all the time?
He would be a black overseeer, kissing up to his white masters then talking about how proud he is to be black. Not much unlike today.

Forum List

Back