🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Zone1 Booker T. Washington -The Dumbest Comment A NATIONAL Black LEADER has Ever Made.

“There is another class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. ... Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs ... There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well.”
Booker T. Washington

Booker T. Washington, My Larger Education, Garden CITY New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1911, pg. 118, Booker T. Washington. My Larger Education; Being Chapters from My Experience

The fact that Washington said that in 1910 should show intelligent people that he was wrong and not some prophet who was before his time.

What he said was the dumbest thing a black leader has ever said and because his comment is still being used by whites to dismiss racism, it is one of the most damaging comments pertaining to race relations in the history of this country made by anyone, regardless of race.

This thread is about the harm Washington has caused through the years because of this comment.

I honestly don't know too much about him but, what do you think it was that lead to that comment by him? Just wondering which people influenced him at that time to say such a comment. Obviously he was not a dummy, he had a pretty prestiegeous life, from what little I do know. And coming up from being a slave he had a good view of two different worlds.

I dont think that comment dismisses racism, but It does put under scrutiny people like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who profited greatly from identity politics. Two things can be true at the same time, however... would like to know more about your take on what influenced Washington.

None of that benefitted me. None of that affected you.

None of that benefitted me. None of that affected you.
It did benefit you. My father couldn't get benefits after serving in WWII. That did impact my life.

It did benefit you. My father couldn't get benefits after serving in WWII. That did impact my life.
How did any of that benefit me? I wasn't even alive for most of it, and those errors were later corrected.

I honestly don't know too much about him but, what do you think it was that lead to that comment by him? Just wondering which people influenced him at that time to say such a comment. Obviously he was not a dummy, he had a pretty prestiegeous life, from what little I do know. And coming up from being a slave he had a good view of two different worlds.

I dont think that comment dismisses racism, but It does put under scrutiny people like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who profited greatly from identity politics. Two things can be true at the same time, however... would like to know more about your take on what influenced Washington.
It doesn't put neither Jackson or Sharpton under scrutiny. Only in a certain portion of white America does anybody believe that blacks want to keep racism alive or deny white racism to blame blacks opposing itfor keeping America divided by race.

As far as what Washington said, to me it's irrelevant as to what caused him to make such a stupid and dangerous comment. He saw what was going on. The comments do dismiss the racism he faced.

How did any of that benefit me? I wasn't even alive for most of it, and those errors were later corrected.
Do you benefit from the creation of the constitution? And your parent, grandparents, etc., benefitted and that impacted you.

Do you benefit from the creation of the constitution? And your parent, grandparents, etc., benefitted and that impacted you.
Does the constitution pick and choose which whites benefit and which ones don't?

Or do poor whites choose their situation?

What we will see is that all the people who will agree with the comments Washington made with be whites who are right wing. No one black will agree with this. This comment is about an issue pertaining to black people. So why do right wing whites think these comments are so great and why blacks should think in this kind of self defeating way?

Does the constitution pick and choose which whites benefit and which ones don't?

Or do poor whites choose their situation?
Yep, it did. And the 1790 Naturalization Act passed by congress as required by the constitution, made it clear.

Poor white practice racism against blacks/POC.

Yep, it did. And the 1790 Naturalization Act passed by congress as required by the constitution, made it clear.

Poor white practice racism against blacks/POC.

How did whites become so poor, with all of these built in benefits?

How did whites become so poor, with all of these built in benefits?
Ask the poor whites who are racists. Because racism is about more than money.

If he didn't get benefits, it was his fault. Most places black veterans got the same benefits all other veterans did.

It doesn't put neither Jackson or Sharpton under scrutiny. Only in a certain portion of white America does anybody believe that blacks want to keep racism alive or deny white racism to blame blacks opposing itfor keeping America divided by race.

As far as what Washington said, to me it's irrelevant as to what caused him to make such a stupid and dangerous comment. He saw what was going on. The comments do dismiss the racism he faced.

Hmmmm if Jesse Jackson was ever guilty of shaking down a corporation for money, then yes... he would be under scrutiny. Just because I mention the names of those two it doesnt mean that I wouldnt believe the majority of blacks would love to do away with racism... those are your words, not mine.

Those two are individuals and trying to hide their actions by hiding within a group, I don't buy.
Ok then, I just figured B.T. Washington was someone that maybe you had read up on... its fine that you dont know much. There are a few books on my reading list, ive wanted to buy, some of my interests have been in Frederick Douglass, B.T. Washington and that 1619 Project book.
Seems to me though that Washington must have had a good reason for making that quote... you call it stupid and dangerous.... yet you dont even know why he made it... ok. In that case, ill make it a point to let you know what I find out.

Hmmmm if Jesse Jackson was ever guilty of shaking down a corporation for money, then yes... he would be under scrutiny. Just because I mention the names of those two it doesnt mean that I wouldnt believe the majority of blacks would love to do away with racism... those are your words, not mine.

Those two are individuals and trying to hide their actions by hiding within a group, I don't buy.
Ok then, I just figured B.T. Washington was someone that maybe you had read up on... its fine that you dont know much. There are a few books on my reading list, ive wanted to buy, some of my interests have been in Frederick Douglass, B.T. Washington and that 1619 Project book.
Seems to me though that Washington must have had a good reason for making that quote... you call it stupid and dangerous.... yet you dont even know why he made it... ok. In that case, ill make it a point to let you know what I find out.
But Jackson was not guilty of that. Just because some white talk radio show person makes that claim doesn't make it so. Don't try that individual junk with me. Policies were made and they weren't made for individuals.

Now, this discussion is about Washingtons comment, not some white radio race hustlers opinion of Jackson. I have read up on Washington, that's why I say what I do. The black accomodationist strategy has never worked. Men like Washington, Moton and others learned the hard way how it didn't. Washington watched black communities burn in the south and he still came up with this stupidity.

I really wish whites like you would stop assuming things. I said the comment was stupid and dangerous because that is what it has turned out to be. Washington ignored everything he lived through to buy into an internalized racism fueled belief of accomodation. His belief was to not challenge whites and perhaps one day they will respect us. Well that one day has yet to come and todays white racist uses his words as validation of their racism.

im2.5 thinks if the framers were all black that theyd make the constitution fair for whites lmfao.

im2.5 thinks if the framers were all black that theyd make the constitution fair for whites lmfao.
You are not qualified to speak to what I think. The framers were NOT black, so face reality instead of imagination.

Me too. the Dubois way w.orked

They both had far different ideologies, likely attributed to personal history.

Washington spent his first 9 years as a child in slavery in the south and obtained his freedom after the Emancipation Proclamation was passed.

Dubois was never a slave, and early on, gained attention for his academic achievements, and eventually went on to graduate from Harvard.

Washington obviously had a sense of "gratitude" for just being free, or as "free" as the times that he lived in allowed him to be, so he safely followed the model of acceptable stereotypical behavior for the era that he lived in.

Dubois on the other hand, never accepted second class citizenship with gratitude.

Black poets and educators througout modern history have written about their stark differences and the impact that each had.

One was a "worker" and the other more of a "thinker" who sought to advance the social status of Black citizens.

I remember my grandmother sharing the following poem by Dudley Randall with me about their opposing views.

She was born in 1910, and her own words were....."If I had listened to Booker T, instead of W.E.B., I would have been content being a domestic/servant for my entire life, instead of learning how to read, and getting an education"

BOOKER T & W.E.B.
"It seems to me," said Booker T.,
It shows a mighty lot of cheek
To study chemistry and Greek
When Mister Charlie needs a hand
To hoe the cotton on his land,
And when Miss Ann looks for a cook.
Why stick your nose inside of a book?"

"I don't agree," said W.E.B.,
"If I should have the drive to seek
Knowledge of chemistry or Greek,
I'll do it. Charles and Miss can look
Another place for hand or cook.
Some men rejoice in skill of hand,
And some in cultivating land,
But there are others who maintain
The right to cultivate the brain."

"That all you folks have missed the
boat
Who shout about the right to vote,
And spend vain days and sleepless
nights
In uproar over civil rights.
Just keep your mouths shut, do not
grouse,
But work, and save, and buy a house."

"For what can property avail
If dignity and justice fail.
Unless you help to make the laws,
They'll steal your house with
trumped-up clause.
A rope's as tight, a fire as hot,
No matter how much cash you've got.
Speak soft, and try your little plan,
But as for me, I'll be a man."

"It seems to me," said Booker T. --

"I don't agree,
Said W.E.B."

Dudley Randall

Also, here is a link to Washington's most famous speech.
He was in favor of Blacks remaining in the southern region as opposed to migrating north.

The second link is Dubois' most serious public criticism of Washington.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
They both had far different ideologies, likely attributed to personal history.

Washington spent his first 9 years as a child in slavery in the south and obtained his freedom after the Emancipation Proclamation was passed.

Dubois was never a slave, and early on, gained attention for his academic achievements, and eventually went on to graduate from Harvard.

Washington obviously had a sense of "gratitude" for just being free, or as "free" as the times that he lived in allowed him to be, so he safely followed the model of acceptable stereotypical behavior for the era that he lived in.

Dubois on the other hand, never accepted second class citizenship with gratitude.

Black poets and educators througout modern history have written about their stark differences and the impact that each had.

One was a "worker" and the other more of a "thinker" who sought to advance the social status of Black citizens.

I remember my grandmother sharing the following poem by Dudley Randall with me about their opposing views.

She was born in 1910, and her own words were....."If I had listened to Booker T, instead of W.E.B., I would have been content being a domestic/servant for my entire life, instead of learning how to read, and getting an education"

BOOKER T & W.E.B.
It shows a mighty lot of cheek
To study chemistry and Greek
When Mister Charlie needs a hand
To hoe the cotton on his land,
And when Miss Ann looks for a cook.
Why stick your nose inside of a book?"

"If I should have the drive to seek
Knowledge of chemistry or Greek,
I'll do it. Charles and Miss can look
Another place for hand or cook.
Some men rejoice in skill of hand,
And some in cultivating land,
But there are others who maintain
The right to cultivate the brain."

"That all you folks have missed the
boat
Who shout about the right to vote,
And spend vain days and sleepless
nights
In uproar over civil rights.
Just keep your mouths shut, do not
grouse,
But work, and save, and buy a house."

"For what can property avail
If dignity and justice fail.
Unless you help to make the laws,
They'll steal your house with
trumped-up clause.
A rope's as tight, a fire as hot,
No matter how much cash you've got.
Speak soft, and try your little plan,
But as for me, I'll be a man."

"It seems to me," said Booker T. --

"I don't agree,
Said W.E.B."

Dudley Randall

Also, here is a link to Washington's most famous speech. He was actually against the migration to the north.

That Atlanta Compromise came back to bite him real hard. I guess growing up when I did, I just couldn't understand black accommodationists. I still can't. And it really irks me to see whites who cannot actually stand black people trying to push accommodationists on us as role models. As Malcolm X said, and I'm paraphrasing, the white man has never settled for accommodation and the white man has never assimilated.

Forum List

Back