Build Back Better: houses.

Only ones I was involve with, back when supplying in the trades, were more than that and percentage difference significantly more than traditional framing and brick exterior. I bet it does start to look more attractive comparatively with what the price of wood is these days. Metal studs may also be more attractive. I was supplying high-end hurricane rated windows and being real picky on their mounting, as compared to standard Tennessee construction techniques.

IDK. The hitch has always been getting the ICF forms. A friend of mine replaced the house on his wife's family farm with a smallish two story poured concrete house and it took him about three years just to be able to get dried in. He had a real time getting all the forms he needed.

IDK. The hitch has always been getting the ICF forms. A friend of mine replaced the house on his wife's family farm with a smallish two story poured concrete house and it took him about three years just to be able to get dried in. He had a real time getting all the forms he needed.
The ones I worked with (from the millwork side), not only used formed concrete, but some kind of foam around it and stucco exterior coating. These were also large two-story builds, metal studs inside, steel beams, special tie down metal roofs, and exterior doors in steel frames. I was told they were incredibly energy efficient for the size, also.

concretecastle1.jpg

Can't we build stronger houses, that won't be blown away by hurricanes and tornadoes? How about reinforced concrete for the outside walls. This would also reduce flood damage. It could also be designed to be a heat/cool sink as well.
Earth homes will be necessary in the near future if these tornadoes keep getting stronger. As for the coasts and low-lying areas they should be built up or abandoned. If it's not at least 25 feet above sea level it won't last very long.

An hour. LOL. I live in Costa Rica

Oregon buys steel and wood from Oregon, screws come from Canada ...

To the OP ...
Hip roofs and hurricane clips ... this is only a little more expensive to add in new homes and actually fastens the roof to your home ... usually it's just the sheer weight that holds down the roof, in areas with high wind loads, we need to be "nailing it down" ... the "hip" style provides less cross-section and the clips hold the roof to the walls ...

Retrofitting these items into an existing home is prohibitively expensive, better off razing the building and putting up new ... good thing it's just the property that's valuable ...

Flooding is a different issue ... if you must build in a flood plain, then build on stilts ... when we look at these communities washed away by floods, notice a few homes still stand? ... on stilts? ... the wash-away walls washed away and so virtually no water forces against the home ...

All of these are 19th Century solutions ... after the Galveston Hurricane, we stopped caring ...

Forum List

Back