Buy Nothing Project

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Some of you probably haven't heard about the Buy Nothing Project. They talk about a local "gift economy," keeping stuff out of the landfill, etc. However, you can give away just about anything and they will take it.

I've seen everything from baby/kid gear, clothes, toys, to extra rocks/mulch from landscaping on my local group FB page......They're mostly on FB.

Now the do-gooder crap aside I guess it would be a good way to get shed of stuff you no longer want but I prefer to donate to a local hospice group and take the tax write-off.....Otherwise landfill here it comes. ;)

Some of you probably haven't heard about the Buy Nothing Project. They talk about a local "gift economy," keeping stuff out of the landfill, etc. However, you can give away just about anything and they will take it.

I've seen everything from baby/kid gear, clothes, toys, to extra rocks/mulch from landscaping on my local group FB page......They're mostly on FB.

Now the do-gooder crap aside I guess it would be a good way to get shed of stuff you no longer want but I prefer to donate to a local hospice group and take the tax write-off.....Otherwise landfill here it comes. ;)

My Great Uncle used to say "Keep something for 10 years. If you don't use it by then, throw it away."

Yep, I try to only buy the disposable stuff that I need every day -- coffee filters are a good example, and then they go in the compost pile. When I buy clothing, it's usually second-hand, or I make it at home.

Never throw anything away. My little town is always happy to take anything I'm done with. We have curb specials.

Exception -- I make rosaries for needy Catholic groups and I buy materials for that -- beads and wire, religious medals, etc.

I spent years cleaning out jobsites to build my farm

you wouldn't believe what the world throws out......

Now i get produce by the truckload from a local food warehouse for my pigs

while those kids are still starving in China.......~S~

I spent years cleaning out jobsites to build my farm

you wouldn't believe what the world throws out......

Now i get produce by the truckload from a local food warehouse for my pigs

while those kids are still starving in China.......~S~
My former employer would throw away semi trailers full of brand new parts when an engineering change brought about a new part replacement. Some of these would end up being very expensive parts which were now considered scrap. Yea, there is enough good stuff getting thrown out daily in this country that it boggles your mind, especially if all this waste was documented and people would even know about it.

The other day i had a truckload of boxed broccoli , all a week of being out of date

The markets reject short dates

So here i am going down the road with all this broccoli , some of which is still on the road..... :rolleyes:

I'll usually chuck a few boxes in the back door of local soup kitchens, the legion, and a few eateries i pick up slop from

they ask me no questions, i tell 'em no lies......;)~S~

Forum List

Back