Calif Gig Law Now Killing Music and Performing Arts Industries

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Nothing positive occurs when you put Democrats in charge.

Under AB 5, we will be required to inform all U.S.-based musicians that they must now become employees of San Jose Jazz, or incorporate themselves before they will be allowed to perform for us.

If band leaders choose to pursue incorporation, they will then need to take on the responsibility of payroll and HR administration for the rest of their band.

In many performing arts disciplines, such as jazz, musicians are constantly reconfiguring line ups, performing as sidemen in various bands, and as one-time special guests for specific performances.

We will now be obliged to devote tremendous time and resources to constantly hiring, managing and tracking of musicians through this cumbersome process.

AB 5 unnecessarily complicates other work arrangements found in community cultural programming such as small festivals, neighborhood street fairs, parades and summer music series in our local parks.

San Jose Jazz is best known for producing our large Summer Fest which brings tens of thousands of visitors and requires hundreds of temporary roles to execute.

Commentary: California’s new gig worker law is disrupting the music industry and threatening all performing arts

Nothing positive occurs when you put Democrats in charge.

Under AB 5, we will be required to inform all U.S.-based musicians that they must now become employees of San Jose Jazz, or incorporate themselves before they will be allowed to perform for us.

If band leaders choose to pursue incorporation, they will then need to take on the responsibility of payroll and HR administration for the rest of their band.

In many performing arts disciplines, such as jazz, musicians are constantly reconfiguring line ups, performing as sidemen in various bands, and as one-time special guests for specific performances.

We will now be obliged to devote tremendous time and resources to constantly hiring, managing and tracking of musicians through this cumbersome process.

AB 5 unnecessarily complicates other work arrangements found in community cultural programming such as small festivals, neighborhood street fairs, parades and summer music series in our local parks.

San Jose Jazz is best known for producing our large Summer Fest which brings tens of thousands of visitors and requires hundreds of temporary roles to execute.

Commentary: California’s new gig worker law is disrupting the music industry and threatening all performing arts

???

In a state that doesn't want to enforce rules and regulations that discriminate against, exclude, and impose too much on immigrants?

so MUSICIANS have to sign up and register with a central organization in order to work,
but IMMIGRANTS shouldn't have to register to become citizens in order to work and get benefits.

How does this work?

(Or do I have to sign up first and pass the bill
before we can see what's in it and how it works?)

Doesn't pertain to me and so I didn't follow the article all that closely. Pretty much got the sense of the red tape involved in which its author had intended. It did leave me on a happy note with its final sentence. I can only wish:
Perhaps our legislators will begin realizing the implications of AB 5 when they start organizing and staffing their next campaign or political rally, and find that they, too, must deal with the mess they created.

Forum List

Back