California raises minimum wage to $10 an hour

meanwhile Unemployment in the State is at 8.9%....im sure that will help getting people hired.....

It will eventually, as the workers spend their their newfound cash around at restaurants, theatres, supermarkets, 7/11's, ballparks, malls, Wal Mart, K-Mart, Targets, etc, etc, etc. Got it?

and all the prices in those places will ALSO rise to cover the overhead of the business you dimwit

You have data to support that?

It will eventually, as the workers spend their their newfound cash around at restaurants, theatres, supermarkets, 7/11's, ballparks, malls, Wal Mart, K-Mart, Targets, etc, etc, etc. Got it?

and all the prices in those places will ALSO rise to cover the overhead of the business you dimwit

The field of economics. What do you have?

You don't even grasp that prices have to include costs? If costs go up for everyone, prices will follow?

And you were a business owner? What kind of business were you in, lemonade?

You don't even grasp that prices have to include costs? If costs go up for everyone, prices will follow?

A flawed field of economics group-think is not data. I hope you did not waste my tax dollars on your "economics education" :lol:

Bravo California! Bravo Governor Jerry Brown!

California signs law raising minimum wage to $10/hour by 2016 - NBC News.com

California has become the first state in the nation to commit to raising the minimum wage to $10 per hour, although the increase will take place gradually until 2016 under a bill signed into law by Democratic Governor Jerry Brown on Wednesday.
and now every business will raise their prices for stuff you buy.. But if you think that is a good thing then you are stupid

So a burger goes up a nickel, big whoopee, while I gain $1.00 minus .5 cents. I'll take that trade-off any day.

Evidently you have a problem with people demonizing companies but... you have no problem demonizing people on minimum wage raising a family. Good job company man.

First, the minimum wage is not, nor ever has been, meant to "raise a family".

Second, since such a large percentage of people who work minimum wage are teenage kids, please describe precisely how it makes sense in a market economy to pay these people as much as someone who is supposedly "raising a family".

Looking forward to this.

Full disclosure: Not expecting a straight answer.

The point is, a lot of "adults" are making minimum wage.

If you want to create a "Training wage" for teens, I don't really have a problem with that.

Evidently you have a problem with people demonizing companies but... you have no problem demonizing people on minimum wage raising a family. Good job company man.

Second, since such a large percentage of people who work minimum wage are teenage kids, please describe precisely how it makes sense in a market economy to pay these people as much as someone who is supposedly "raising a family".

Looking forward to this.

If you want to create a "Training wage" for teens, I don't really have a problem with that.

we already have one.....its called the Minimum Wage....

Looking forward to this.

But that wasn't what it was designed to do.

The minimum wage was designed to keep middle class wages afloat. It was designed to keep an employer from firing all those guys making a quarter an hour (which is what the original Minimum was back in the 1930's) and replacing them with guys making a dime and hour.

And up until the Reagan years, when they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to raise it, it kind of worked.

The minimum wage was designed to keep middle class wages afloat. It was designed to keep an employer from firing all those guys making a quarter an hour (which is what the original Minimum was back in the 1930's) and replacing them with guys making a dime and hour.

And up until the Reagan years, when they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to raise it, it kind of worked.

Sigh.

Minimum - adj. - Of, consisting of, or representing the lowest possible amount or degree permissible or attainable.

When you keep raising the "minimum" wage it no longer becomes "minimum" anymore does it? It was designed to be what was earned as a probationary wage in the workplace, not something you demanded. When you proved your worth and got promoted the wage went up. The extra money was a reward for your hard work and value to your employer.

However, liberals like you have distorted that into meaning that this is what you WILL be paid REGARDLESS of your skill level in said line of work. Your employers ability to pay it be damned.

Last edited:

California signs law raising minimum wage to $10/hour by 2016 - NBC News.com

California has become the first state in the nation to commit to raising the minimum wage to $10 per hour, although the increase will take place gradually until 2016 under a bill signed into law by Democratic Governor Jerry Brown on Wednesday.

Why didn't they just raise the minimum wage to $20.00 an hour. Then they could raise the taxes higher and the price of a loaf of bread could go to $15.00. I remember when a Net Weight 1.55 OZ. Hershey Bar was a nickel, and a TastyKake pie was Ten cents. Sorry, but raising wages artificially only leads to everything costing more. If a dollar is actually worth a nickel, then $10.00 is actually only 50 cents.:(

Joe since the minimum wage is what is usually paid to start off your working life unless you get into a nice industry that pays more.....then this is usually what teenagers just starting out get paid....after a few years Joe.....most of us move on to bigger pay....just saying.....

The standard of living here in California is the highest of just about any state. It is the natural thing to do to set wages, where people don't have to worry about their next meal.

California signs law raising minimum wage to $10/hour by 2016 - NBC News.comm

Why didn't they just raise the minimum wage to $20.00 an hour. Then they could raise the taxes higher and the price of a loaf of bread could go to $15.00. I remember when a Net Weight 1.55 OZ. Hershey Bar was a nickel, and a TastyKake pie was Ten cents. Sorry, but raising wages artificially only leads to everything costing more. If a dollar is actually worth a nickel, then $10.00 is actually only 50 cents.:(

If it is in fact true that rising wages are harmful to an economy, then the inverse must be beneficial.

The standard of living here in California is the highest of just about any state. It is the natural thing to do to set wages, where people don't have to worry about their next meal.

at ten a hour in this State you will have a rough time taking care of yourself let alone a family....it would be rough even at 15 an hour....

Sigh.

Minimum - adj. - Of, consisting of, or representing the lowest possible amount or degree permissible or attainable.

When you keep raising the "minimum" wage it no longer becomes "minimum" anymore does it? It was designed to be what was earned as a probationary wage in the workplace, not something you demanded. When you proved your worth and got promoted the wage went up. The extra money was a reward for your hard work and value to your employer.

However, liberals like you have distorted that into meaning that this is what you WILL be paid REGARDLESS of your skill level in said line of work. Your employers ability to pay it be damned.

If your employer can't pay a decent wage to his employees, the fucker shouldn't be in business.

Seriously.

If employers weren't looking for every oppurtunity to cheat employees, you might have an argument about "worth". This last recession being a great example. They fired everyone they had to hire at a good wage when unemployment was low, and hired new folks at lower wages (usually fired by other companies.)

Oh, yeah, and let's throw in a "Do not compete" clause to keep people out of ideal jobs.

Seriously, fuck employers.

Joe since the minimum wage is what is usually paid to start off your working life unless you get into a nice industry that pays more.....then this is usually what teenagers just starting out get paid....after a few years Joe.....most of us move on to bigger pay....just saying.....

And I haven't made the minimum wage since the 1980's.

But here was the thing, back in the 1980's, the minimum wage was actually still worth something. WOrking two minimum wage jobs, I was STILL able to work my way through college.

Today, not so much. It hasn't kept up with inflation.

A flawed field of economics group-think is not data. I hope you did not waste my tax dollars on your "economics education" :lol:

You're a "business owner" who doesn't realize that when your costs go up, your prices go up. My wasted dollars are going to your welfare.

As for the taxes you would pay if you had a job, rest assured I paid for my Michigan MBA myself. I'm not obsessed with handouts like you are.

BTW, after my MBA, I worked in management consulting on Wall Street. Yes, I'm an evil capitalist, comrade. You just sensed it, didn't you?

Last edited:
There has never been a case in the USA where rising costs of labor caused inflation, folks.

OH I know many of you sincerely believe that has happened, but in reality salaries are more typically playing a catchup game against inflation.

There has never been a case in the USA where rising costs of labor caused inflation, folks.

OH I know many of you sincerely believe that has happened, but in reality salaries are more typically playing a catchup game against inflation.

you don't think that rising union salaries and benefits have "inflated" the cost of cars?

you don't think that rising textile union salaries have inflated the cost of textile products so much that the industry in the US no longer exists?

Nowhere except in The Wonderful World of Conservatopia where lower wages equate with increased prosperity.

Forum List

Back