California Republican, Claims Pregnancy From Rape Is Rare

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Cons just can't let it go.

Celeste Greig, California Republican, Claims Pregnancy From Rape Is Rare

The president of California's oldest and largest GOP volunteer group took a wrong turn while trying to criticize GOP candidates' missteps on women's reproductive rights when she argued that pregnancies resulting from rape are rare "because the body is traumatized."

Celeste Greig leads the California Republican Assembly, which former President Ronald Reagan once called "the conscience of the Republican Party." It works to elect conservative Republicans to public office.

Greig spoke to reporter Steven Harmon with the Bay Area News Group in Woodland, Calif., while in Sacramento for the GOP's spring convention on Friday. She criticized former U.S. Rep. Todd Akin's (R-Mo.) comment that it is "rare" for a woman to get pregnant after a "legitimate rape" because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

"That was an insensitive remark," Greig said. "I'm sure he regretted it. He should have come back and apologized."

She then went on, however, to agree with Akin's premise that such pregnancies are uncommon.

"Granted, the percentage of pregnancies due to rape is small because it's an act of violence, because the body is traumatized," she added. "I don't know what percentage of pregnancies are due to the violence of rape. Because of the trauma the body goes through, I don't know what percentage of pregnancy results from the act."
<more>

The president of California's oldest and largest GOP volunteer group took a wrong turn while trying to criticize GOP candidates' missteps on women's reproductive rights when she argued that pregnancies resulting from rape are rare "because the body is traumatized."

Celeste Greig leads the California Republican Assembly, which former President Ronald Reagan once called "the conscience of the Republican Party." It works to elect conservative Republicans to public office.

Greig spoke to reporter Steven Harmon with the Bay Area News Group in Woodland, Calif., while in Sacramento for the GOP's spring convention on Friday. She criticized former U.S. Rep. Todd Akin's (R-Mo.) comment that it is "rare" for a woman to get pregnant after a "legitimate rape" because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

"That was an insensitive remark," Greig said. "I'm sure he regretted it. He should have come back and apologized."

She then went on, however, to agree with Akin's premise that such pregnancies are uncommon.

"Granted, the percentage of pregnancies due to rape is small because it's an act of violence, because the body is traumatized," she added. "I don't know what percentage of pregnancies are due to the violence of rape. Because of the trauma the body goes through, I don't know what percentage of pregnancy results from the act."
<more>

Just another clueless dumbass.

Why do these morons insist on wanting "big gubmint" to control our lives?

And the republicans terminal foot in mouth disease goes on. The search for the cure, continues.

Last edited:
So you guys think rape pregancies are pretty common, huh? It sure would be interesting to see the numbers. Since you guys are making charges here, why don't you go the extra step and tell us what percentage of rape victims end up pregnant - and how many documented rape pregancies there are each year compared to non rape pregnacies....

Can't wait to see these results!

Pregnancy from rape is relatively rare. But then pregnancy is rare. A single sexual act MAY result in pregnancy. But it does not always result in pregnancy. Women are not fertile 100% of the time. If every time a woman had sex she got pregnant, you would have an argument but that doesn't happen.

Liberals love science, until science doesn't support a pet notion. Can a woman get pregnant if the rapist has weak non motile sperm? Liberals say yes, and yes every time.

^^ another one needing a response, as what statistic does it believe would be different due to the circumstances ???

Like always, I presume that we will learn that libs have big mouths until they are forced to use facts to support their slanders.

Liberals used to believe that a woman who is being raped cannot have an orgasm. Both sides have poor medical advice.

were the no.s you are seeking to show a variation matter ? as a single pregnancy from rape would not be a significant enough concern ...

Like always, I presume that we will learn that libs have big mouths until they are forced to use facts to support their slanders.

How's this for a fact: rape is illegal and abortion is legal. GOP needs to shut the fuck up about it, speaking of big mouths.

<more>

You know....at least she admits that rape is a traumatizing experience. AND she admits she doesn't know the numbers of pregnancies. I would give her a pass.

How's this for a fact: rape is illegal and abortion is legal. GOP needs to shut the fuck up about it, speaking of big mouths.

hahahahaha!!!! You guys are so pathetic...

of course. You attack a person for stating facts and then get mad when you are called out on it.

<more>

You know....at least she admits that rape is a traumatizing experience. AND she admits she doesn't know the numbers of pregnancies. I would give her a pass.

I commend you!

Somebody get that woman's telephone number. We will want to get her on the national media in 2015!!!!!!!!!!!

(GOP ignorance. The gift that keeps on giving!)

<more>

She said, "Granted, the percentage of pregnancies due to rape is small because it's an act of violence.."
That's as dumb as Akin's comment.

of course. You attack a person for stating facts and then get mad when you are called out on it.

I gave her a pass for her comments, but I wouldn't call them "facts".

Facts? What facts? The Women expressed an opinion, it is up to you and others who support her remarks to prove the truth of her utterance. In the case of rape and no pregnancy such a non event proves nothing. Too many variables exist to conclude otherwise.

<more>

She said, "Granted, the percentage of pregnancies due to rape is small because it's an act of violence.."
That's as dumb as Akin's comment.

No, that is a science supported fact. It isn't as if she said pregancy was impossible. You are trying to create an issue where there is none --- and when asked to support your claims.... YOU CAN'T!!!

Forum List

Back