Can Public Option Work?

I love it....gubbermint run healthcare.

Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.

hey Chris if this thing passes close to the way you want it,and is a disaster....will you say you were wrong or, we just wont see Chris in any threads about this....???

What we have now is a disaster.

What they pass probably won't be close to being enough, thanks to the swines in the Senate.

Meanwhile the rest of the industrialized world pays HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare and laughs at us.

I love it....gubbermint run healthcare.

Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.

hey Chris if this thing passes close to the way you want it,and is a disaster....will you say you were wrong or, we just wont see Chris in any threads about this....???

What they pass probably won't be close to being enough, thanks to the swines in the Senate.

Meanwhile the rest of the industrialized world pays HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare and laughs at us.

That's rude of them---why don't they pitch in and help us ?

Actually they are.

A lot of our vaccines are made in England because the for profit companies here won't make them because there is no profit in it.

Actually they are.

A lot of our vaccines are made in England because the for profit companies here won't make them because there is no profit in it.

So England is taking advantage of our plight ? Those cheeky bastards

Any actuary, if they are drunk and so honest, will tell you the trick to making an insurance policy cost effective for everyone is to spread the risk to the most amount of people. The more people in a plan, the more cost effective. Spread the bet.

Public option.

It works in Australia, combined with a private top up option.

I receive far better care here, at much less cost than I ever did from the private sector in the US.

And as a country we get better macro outcomes than the US.

Still, Obama fucked this up mightily farming out his entire healthcare plan to Congress who by their very nature were determined to come up with a complex plan that would be costly and easy for the Republicans to pick apart like crows on roadkill, rather than presenting a disciplined initial plan that just stated anyone who wishes can choose a publically funded medical insurance option that can be moved from job to job.

In time many Americans would see this as the most cost effective option with better results than many, if not most HMOs.

Still, if you all are determined to keep getting jacked off by the invisible hand, be my guest

Last edited:
Any actuary, if they are drunk and so honest, will tell you the trick to making an insurance policy cost effective for everyone is to spread the risk to the most amount of people. The more people in a plan, the more cost effective. Spread the bet.

Public option.

I receive far better care here, at much less cost than I ever did from the private sector in the US.

Still, Obama fucked this up mightily farming out his entire healthcare plan to Congress who by their very nature were determined to come up with a complex plan that would be costly and easy for the Republicans to pick apart like crows on roadkill, rather than presenting a disciplined initial plan that just stated anyone who wishes can choose a publically funded medical insurance option that can be moved from job to job.

In time many Americans would see this as the most cost effective option with better results than many, if not most HMOs.

Still, if you all are determined to keep getting jacked off by the invisible hand, be my guest

That is the most accurate assessment of the situation I have seen.

Kudos.

A lot of verbage, and you are still delusional.

If I am delusional, there are drugs for that condition, but for your stupidity, there is no help, period. Anyways, since your understanding of the 10th Amendment is somewhat lacking, allow me once again to attempt to enlighten you.

The 10th Amendment specifically says:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

What this means is that if it is not specifically enumerated in the Constitution, the federal government can't do it. If it's not specifically prohibited to the states by the Constitution, the States and/or We The People can do it.

Now, if the people overwhelmingly decide that they want the federal government to provide health insurance for them, then they must first be able to invoke a part of the Constitution that specifically authorizes the federal government to do so.

If it's not there, and We The People really do want it, the founding fathers specifically provided a mechanism through which it can be done, it's called Article 5 of the US Constitution, which has been invoked exactly 17 times since the Bill of Rights was ratified in 1791. Lacking such an invocation of Article 5, any law that provides for the taxing and spending for anything not specifically authorized in Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution is unconstitutional on it's face.

I doubt you got it, but at least I've tried.

Ame®icano;1647992 said:

If I am delusional, there are drugs for that condition, but for your stupidity, there is no help, period. Anyways, since your understanding of the 10th Amendment is somewhat lacking, allow me once again to attempt to enlighten you.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

What this means is that if it is not specifically enumerated in the Constitution, the federal government can't do it. If it's not specifically prohibited to the states by the Constitution, the States and/or We The People can do it.

Now, if the people overwhelmingly decide that they want the federal government to provide health insurance for them, then they must first be able to invoke a part of the Constitution that specifically authorizes the federal government to do so.

If it's not there, and We The People really do want it, the founding fathers specifically provided a mechanism through which it can be done, it's called Article 5 of the US Constitution, which has been invoked exactly 17 times since the Bill of Rights was ratified in 1791. Lacking such an invocation of Article 5, any law that provides for the taxing and spending for anything not specifically authorized in Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution is unconstitutional on it's face.

The "founding fathers" owned slaves and the constitution counted black people as "three fifths of a person."

Taking care of the old and the sick is the right thing to do.

Americans overwhelmingly oppose the far right windbag rhetoric. includings Republicans, even to the extent that the windbaggers are threatening mainstream Republican candidates.

Go back and read our respective posts.

they also oppose the far left wing rhetoric....so that brings us to my question.....if the people in the middle from both parties reject both fringes....why the fuck are those people still in positions of power and inflence,and why do we allow them to fuck with our lives?....

Because the money behind corporate influence and the 'lawyer' industry, from where 95% of our politicians come from, have managed to stay in bed long enough to consolidate power in the hands of a few by using the squeaky fringes to win elections.

The most commonly used tactic is keeping us arguing over social issues like gay marriage and abortion while they divert huge sections of the cash-flow that is the US economy straight into their pockets.

They successfully fuck with us because it is extremely profitable, and we are chumps who are willing waste our political time arguing over mandating life-styles instead of focusing on economic rules that are fair no matter what life-style one chooses.

Did anyone else see this?

A little-noticed tidbit in Saturday's Washington Post is sure to raise eyebrows among liberal supporters of a gorvernment-run healthcare plan: the plan is likely to be administered by a private insurance company, the very companies that progressive activists are trying to unseat.

Public option likely to be managed by private insurance company | Raw Story

Read this, it is the paper the article talks about:

HR 3200’s “public option” will not resemble Medicare - PNHP's Official Blog

Public option.

Other than your inference that getting jacked-off by an invisible hand is a bad thing, :clap2:

Ame®icano;1647992 said:

The "founding fathers" owned slaves and the constitution counted black people as "three fifths of a person."

Taking care of the old and the sick is the right thing to do.

Do you know how many were slave owners and to what party they belong?
Do you know that slave owners wanted to count slaves as "whole person", but those against slavery opposed it. Do you know why was that?

We The People ended the slavery and amended the constitution. Do you know how?

I do agree that, taking care of the old and the sick is the right thing to do. I do NOT agree with the way that is proposed.

Did anyone else see this?

A little-noticed tidbit in Saturday's Washington Post is sure to raise eyebrows among liberal supporters of a gorvernment-run healthcare plan: the plan is likely to be administered by a private insurance company, the very companies that progressive activists are trying to unseat.

Public option likely to be managed by private insurance company | Raw Story

Read this, it is the paper the article talks about:

HR 3200’s “public option” will not resemble Medicare - PNHP's Official Blog

That's what I have been saying ALL ALONG, the public option in HR 3200 is nothing like a single payer universal plan, EACH PERSON who chooses the Public option has to pay for it through their premiums and the plan has to be fully funded through premiums as with all other private insurance plans.

That's what I have been saying ALL ALONG, the public option in HR 3200 is nothing like a single payer universal plan, EACH PERSON who chooses the Public option has to pay for it through their premiums and the plan has to be fully funded through premiums as with all other private insurance plans.

You have weasled out of every question I've put to you as to why this is going to be preferable to the system that exists now, and how gov't is magically going to make reality, in the form of statistics, disappear.
So I'll ask this one again.

That part is correct.

Only problem with public option is that imposing public option to the states require one of two things, amending the constitution or changing state laws. Once public option is forced to the states as an alternate, state borders should be open for the other alternates too. Government want's to compete with the private sector, but preventing private sector to compete with government at the same time.

Forum List

Back