Can we take a moment to remember the two Trump Supporters who were killed today.

Man killed at Trump rally identified as firefighter Corey Comperatore, who ‘died a hero’​

corey-comperatore-trump-shooting-victim

CNN —
Firefighter Corey Comperatore was killed during the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro said Sunday.

Comperatore was one of the thousands of people who attended the rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, part of Trump’s 2024 reelection effort. He died trying to protect his family, according to the governor.
gsdunrpweaaassz-cropped.jpg

“I just spoke to Corey’s wife and Corey’s two daughters,” Shapiro said Sunday.

Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump is surrounded by U.S. Secret Service agents at a campaign rally, Saturday, July 13, 2024, in Butler, Pa. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Related live-story Trump survives assassination attempt

“Corey was a girl dad. Corey was a firefighter. Corey went to church every Sunday. Corey loved his community. Most especially, Corey loved his family.”

“Corey was an avid supporter of the former president and was so excited to be there last night with him in the community,” the governor said.

“I asked Corey’s wife if it would be okay for me to share that we spoke. She said ‘yes.’ She also asked that I share with all of you that Corey died a hero,” Shapiro added.

“Corey dove on his family to protect them last night at this rally.”
Shapiro said he has directed flags be flown at half-staff in Comperatore’s memory.
A GoFundMe campaign for the victims’ families, verified by the fundraising platform, had raised over $2 million by Sunday afternoon, more than double its initial goal. More than 28,000 donations had poured in, according to the website.
GOP Congressman Dan Meuser told CNN he was sitting in the front row of the rally with Pennsylvania Senate candidate Dave McCormick and Republican Rep. Mike Kelly. He saw a man fatally shot “no more than 20 feet behind” them, he said.

Joseph Meyn, a surgeon from Grove City, Pennsylvania, told CNN that he helped carry a man’s body out of the stadium.

“Everybody started, certainly, screaming, asking for a medic, and honestly, it was a bloody scene,” Meuser said.
He was to the far right of the podium, filming Trump’s speech, when he heard the gunshots.

“Just as I was panning back, I heard seven gunshots in rapid succession, in under two or three seconds. I am familiar with guns, I knew immediately it was gunfire,” Meyn told CNN. “I saw him get hit.”

Meyn said he looked back in the direction the gunshots had come from. “I saw a man in the bleachers was hit directly in the head … there was a woman who was hit in the hand and forearm, a noncritical wound.”
Republican Rep. Ronny Jackson of Texas said that his nephew was also injured in the shooting.

In an interview with Fox News, Jackson said his nephew “was grazed in the neck, a bullet crossed his neck, cut his neck and he was bleeding.”

Forum List

Back