🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Can you fire your employer or is it just quitting?

Can you fire your employer or is it just quitting?

• Total voters

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
When you walk out of a job, did you fire your employer or did you just quit? Do you consider them to be the same thing or does it depend on the situation?

My stance is that it is situational. I think there is a major difference between I don't wanna do A, B, C and D and an employer failing in that partnership/contract. OTOH, I think that it could be successfully argued that the first option is also firing the employer and I'm trying to play judge and jury on someone's decision.

I'm currently suspended from work, on full pay pending an investigation and then possible disciplinary.

I'm considering quitting but part of me wants to run it out as long as possible because I've the right of appeal which means another couple of weeks full pay in the event of a worst case scenario if it goes to a disciplinary and then maybe a months full pay after my appeal has been heard.

There's no evidence of me doing what I've been accused of, but two different employment lawyers have told me that it's not a court of law and your boss only has to believe you did what you're accused of rather than prove it beyond doubt - which sounds really fucked-up.

According to UK law, since I've been in this position less than 2-years I can't claim unfair dismissal, either. However if I was gay or a different skin colour instead of a white male, I'd be allowed to.

Best I can hope for (if found guilty of gross misconduct at both the initial hearing and then the appeal) is a weeks pay in lieu of notice and a guarantee of a reference for my next position.

If anyone can find this white privilege I keep hearing about, can you let me know please.

When you walk out of a job, did you fire your employer or did you just quit? Do you consider them to be the same thing or does it depend on the situation?

My stance is that it is situational. I think there is a major difference between I don't wanna do A, B, C and D and an employer failing in that partnership/contract. OTOH, I think that it could be successfully argued that the first option is also firing the employer and I'm trying to play judge and jury on someone's decision.
I guess I've always associated the act of "firing" as one based on leverage and authority. Hourly employees, especially, don't tend to be able to "fire" their employer. OTOH, freelancers or subcontractors could fit the bill of being able to exercise equal authority with an employer.

I'm currently suspended from work, on full pay pending an investigation and then possible disciplinary.

I'm considering quitting but part of me wants to run it out as long as possible because I've the right of appeal which means another couple of weeks full pay in the event of a worst case scenario if it goes to a disciplinary and then maybe a months full pay after my appeal has been heard.

There's no evidence of me doing what I've been accused of, but two different employment lawyers have told me that it's not a court of law and your boss only has to believe you did what you're accused of rather than prove it beyond doubt - which sounds really fucked-up.

According to UK law, since I've been in this position less than 2-years I can't claim unfair dismissal, either. However if I was gay or a different skin colour instead of a white male, I'd be allowed to.

Best I can hope for (if found guilty of gross misconduct at both the initial hearing and then the appeal) is a weeks pay in lieu of notice and a guarantee of a reference for my next position.

If anyone can find this white privilege I keep hearing about, can you let me know please.
Geeze. I'm sorry to hear that. That is fucked up. Do you know what your going to do next if it goes south?

Geeze. I'm sorry to hear that. That is fucked up. Do you know what your going to do next if it goes south?
I've honestly no idea mate.

I love my job but even if I was to come through this suspension, investigation, disciplinary (and appeal if need be) and allowed back to work I know I won't be the same or feel the same about the place.

It's a small team of half a dozen or so including 2 managers and I will be cold with everyone (the 2 managers for listening to the allegations and the 4 other members of staff because I know one of them has reported me for no reason but I'll never have it confirmed which one so I'll be naturally frosty with everyone)

Which my bosses will know too and if they are on the fence with what to do with me, knowing there will be an atmosphere might just tip them over when it comes to sacking me if they're undecided. It's shit.

There's some things I've got on a couple of them but really don't want to be "that guy" and also, the couple of people I've got stuff on, they might not have been the person that stuck me in so that would make me an awful person and no better than the person that's done it to me.

So what didn't you do?

I guess I've always associated the act of "firing" as one based on leverage and authority. Hourly employees, especially, don't tend to be able to "fire" their employer. OTOH, freelancers or subcontractors could fit the bill of being able to exercise equal authority with an employer.
That was the argument that someone made to me earlier today. That I, or anyone else, lacked the power to fire the employer. Ok, let me give you another side to that argument.

So, I will be taking my experience and all of the never ending hours of training out the door with me because you as the employer have failed to do A, B, C and D. You can replace me with all of the training and the years of experience here as well as the experience I brought from my prior job. Should you continue down this path then in so many years you will be back at square one. OTOH, I will be taking my knowledge and training and the investment that was made into me and using it somewhere else.

Last edited:
I've honestly no idea mate.

I love my job but even if I was to come through this suspension, investigation, disciplinary (and appeal if need be) and allowed back to work I know I won't be the same or feel the same about the place.

It's a small team of half a dozen or so including 2 managers and I will be cold with everyone (the 2 managers for listening to the allegations and the 4 other members of staff because I know one of them has reported me for no reason but I'll never have it confirmed which one so I'll be naturally frosty with everyone)

Which my bosses will know too and if they are on the fence with what to do with me, knowing there will be an atmosphere might just tip them over when it comes to sacking me if they're undecided. It's shit.

There's some things I've got on a couple of them but really don't want to be "that guy" and also, the couple of people I've got stuff on, they might not have been the person that stuck me in so that would make me an awful person and no better than the person that's done it to me.
I would feel so awkward having to deal with that. I'm so sorry that you have to go through that.

I fired the man who hired me but I bought the outstanding shares of stock.

Learn how to suck...errr...you know~
Judge gets off--you get off!

It's all your state of mind. When I offer a business my services I interview them. When I leave, it's because I have fired them.
Yep. Even if I leave for a better paying job, I still fired them because they didn't pay me enough.

Forum List

Back