Can you hear me?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Beware this new 'Can you hear me?' scam

Virginia police are now warning about the scheme, which also sparked warnings by Pennsylvania authorities late last year. The “can you hear me” con is actually a variation on earlier scams aimed at getting the victim to say the word “yes” in a phone conversation. That affirmative response is recorded by the fraudster and used to authorize unwanted charges on a phone or utility bill or on a purloined credit card.

“You say ‘yes,’ it gets recorded and they say that you have agreed to something,” said Susan Grant, director of consumer protection for the Consumer Federation of America. “I know that people think it’s impolite to hang up, but it’s a good strategy.”

Nope, I can't hear you. Your typing seems okay though. Thanks for the thread.

Beware this new 'Can you hear me?' scam

Virginia police are now warning about the scheme, which also sparked warnings by Pennsylvania authorities late last year. The “can you hear me” con is actually a variation on earlier scams aimed at getting the victim to say the word “yes” in a phone conversation. That affirmative response is recorded by the fraudster and used to authorize unwanted charges on a phone or utility bill or on a purloined credit card.

“You say ‘yes,’ it gets recorded and they say that you have agreed to something,” said Susan Grant, director of consumer protection for the Consumer Federation of America. “I know that people think it’s impolite to hang up, but it’s a good strategy.”

I got one of those calls a few months ago. It wasn't quite that blatant, but it started out promising a credit card as part of a selected group and then wanted to get me to say "Yes" to the statement "I am not voting for Clinton." It was so damned weird. I didn't say yes, but I gave them some other words to ponder.

Forum List

Back