Chickens

CremeBrulee

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toad Hall
So I recently acquired a small tract of land (5 acres) with the option to buy more when/if needed. I have decided to start my own farm, independent of my family's farm. I am going to start off with chickens because they are probably the easiest and fastest way to get the farm going. I have my eye on Chantecler chickens. They are a Heritage breed and I want to help in preservation. They are listed as critical by The Livestock Conservancy. They seem to be good egg layers with decent meat characteristics. They are also well suited to the climate in Indiana. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this breed. You can only get so much from a description.
The Livestock Conservancy

On a more fun note...I am trying to decide on a name for said farm. Looking for ideas. As a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire and marijuana enthusiast, the only name I have is Highgarden. I am thinking USMB can generate some great names.

The Chicken Ranch...
My concern about that is ranch is not a term used here to describe farms and chickens won't be the only product. I'll totally put a sign on the coop that says that. Like the duck pen has a sign reading The Ritz Quacker.

So I recently acquired a small tract of land (5 acres) with the option to buy more when/if needed. I have decided to start my own farm, independent of my family's farm. I am going to start off with chickens because they are probably the easiest and fastest way to get the farm going. I have my eye on Chantecler chickens. They are a Heritage breed and I want to help in preservation. They are listed as critical by The Livestock Conservancy. They seem to be good egg layers with decent meat characteristics. They are also well suited to the climate in Indiana. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this breed. You can only get so much from a description.

On a more fun note...I am trying to decide on a name for said farm. Looking for ideas. As a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire and marijuana enthusiast, the only name I have is Highgarden. I am thinking USMB can generate some great names.

Whatever college is closest probably has an ag dept that probably works closely with your county agriculture dept.
They may have first hand experience with that breed of chicken..

Whatever college is closest probably has an ag dept that probably works closely with your county agriculture dept.
Purdue is the big Ag school here. They run the county extensions. I haven't had much success with my local agent. He never responds to my inquiries.

The R + L = 420 Farm

Purdue is the big Ag school here. They run the county extensions. I haven't had much success with my local agent. He never responds to my inquiries.

I see...that's disappointing...
I have some questions about livestock, fowl and agriculture in general that I've been accumulating. Preparing for an imminent move to some acreage in a slightly different climate zone. Hope I get better results than you did. Good luck! I'll be watching.

Clucker Farm

I have some questions about livestock, fowl and agriculture in general that I've been accumulating. Preparing for an imminent move to some acreage in a slightly different climate zone. Hope I get better results than you did. Good luck! I'll be watching.
I know right. That is what he is there for. But anytime I have called with questions about hops, classes, organic certification, marketing, etc. his reply is always "I'll send you an email." He never does. I should apply for that job if he isn't going to take it seriously.

I know right. That is what he is there for. But anytime I have called with questions about hops, classes, organic certification, marketing, etc. his reply is always "I'll send you an email." He never does. I should apply for that job if he isn't going to take it seriously.

you mentioned your family farm...you guys have any cattle?...I intend to have a few cows...maybe a couple of goats and a pig every year or so ...and rabbits...along with chickens..wife wants a horse..she had one when she was younger...
It'll be on 50 acres ....and I have 2 years to get it sorted.

you mentioned your family farm...you guys have any cattle?...I intend to have a few cows...maybe a couple of goats and a pig every year or so ...and rabbits...along with chickens..wife wants a horse..she had one when she was younger...
It'll be on 50 acres ....and I have 2 years to get it sorted.
We used to keep about a hundred head of Herefords. Got away from cattle when I was younger though. I wouldn't mind getting a milk cow or two. We have goats. You can retire your bush hog if you have enough. Milking them can be a bit of a pain. Their meat is also tasty. We tried pigs but it was a stinky mess. I'd like to give swine another chance though. A gourmet breed that is kept on a woodlot. Pigs are supposed to be great for a woodlot by the way. Always had rabbits. Mainly for 4H kids and meat. Chickens, horses, and rabbits are where we are right now for the most part.
I live outside a college town so organic vegetables and gourmet meats are in high demand. There are plenty of outlets. My family has been into "traditional" farming (standard animals and corn / soy beans) for the most part. I'm the one wanting to take us into more modern, high end products. I guess you could call my new place an experimental farm in that respect.
50 acres! You can do a lot with that. Have all kinds of animals and vegetables. If you are new to that lifestyle the most important thing to remember is not biting off more than you can chew. Introduce new things slowly. Don't go out and get everything on your list all at once. Take your time. It is a lot of work but gratifying in the end. Good luck.

I think that's great. Are they going to be free range, barn or cage? There's a special dog that can guard free range from foxes and you don't need a fence.

The Chicken Ranch...
My concern about that is ranch is not a term used here to describe farms and chickens won't be the only product. I'll totally put a sign on the coop that says that. Like the duck pen has a sign reading The Ritz Quacker.

I called my chicken house Hen Hilton.

They were rescues from a battery farm "dead pile". Battery chickens are old and used up at one year and the farms go through once a day or so and pull out the ones that are dead or dying and just throw them in a heap. This one was outside, in the summer heat of Tucson. Once a week, an open dump truck truck would come from California and load them up to take back to a processor who then sells the meat to companies for soup, TV dinners - anything where you don't get a good look at the meat.

I started with 28, covered with feces and maggots, unable to stand up but breathing. Several died right away but after vetting them and feeding them up, I ended up with about 15-18 fat, healthy chickens.

I liked having chickens and since these were genetically modified to lay a egg every day, once they got some decent nutrition, including bugs, and space to move around, they just about buried us in eggs.

I would let them out every morning and they would run straight to the outside dog water dish because, as everyone knows, their water was better than the chicken water. Meanwhile, the dogs would go straight for the chicken's water for the same reason.

They had the run of the yard, which they turned into the surface of the moon. I had three citrus trees, orange, grapefruit and lemon that I would put the hose on. I'd let it run at a slow trickle for days and the girls just loved to dig down in the cool damp dirt in the shade. Then, in the evening, they'd all toddle back to Hen Hilton for the night.

Chickens are so much smarter and more interesting than people give them credit for. If you take good care of them, they'll more than earn their keep.

chicken6.gif

Does anyone think this one is gay...

smiley-with-chicken-emoticon.gif

Is when ya put pizza sauce on yer chicken sammich...

... den ya gots chicken-eatsa-pizza.

(Gay or not...

... Granny out inna kitchen...

... seein' if she got a pot big enough...

... to cook dat goose fer Sunday dinner.)

I have 37 free-range, organic chickens. They are certainly the easiest and cheapest to maintain, and gives me thousands of eggs each year, in their natural laying cycles.

Chicken eggs are also incredibly easy to shelf-stabilize.

Forum List

Back