Help with Deer

CremeBrulee

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toad Hall
My rose garden is being devoured by a fawn that I assume was weaned too early. The roses are supposed to be deer resistant and were until now. Every bush looks like Edward Scissorhands got hammered and pruned them back. I tried coyote urine but that didn't seem to work very long. A number of people suggested chicken or woven wire fencing. Not only do I think fencing would look like ass, my cultivars are on either side of the sidewalk leading to the front door. I'm hoping someone else in the gardening section has resolved this problem.

Adopt a LION. I hear that is going to be quite popular.

I'm afraid fencing is going to be your most effective option. The fence has gotta be high.

You can make a homemade deterrent using rotten eggs and spray that nearby. And get some hair from the barber's floor -- that repels them too.

My rose garden is being devoured by a fawn that I assume was weaned too early. The roses are supposed to be deer resistant and were until now. Every bush looks like Edward Scissorhands got hammered and pruned them back. I tried coyote urine but that didn't seem to work very long. A number of people suggested chicken or woven wire fencing. Not only do I think fencing would look like ass, my cultivars are on either side of the sidewalk leading to the front door. I'm hoping someone else in the gardening section has resolved this problem.

Mmmmm venison
My coworkers wife made some venison chilly the other night (She always makes me a plate when she feels like cooking because she knows I am single)

Man I couldn't even tell, it was real good.

Interesting how many respond in terms of killing things rather than working with Nature.
Americans.... :rolleyes:

Interesting how many respond in terms of killing things rather than working with Nature.
yea Turkey and ham just come from the grocery stores 3d printer

Guess that means "3D" -- either that or the first two printers were busy?

This wasn't a question about acquiring food but about deterring deer. I just find it interesting that the go-to solution in this culture is always about killing, destroying, shooting and blowing things up.

So sue me.

Pee around the plants yourself or take a crap...

Mmmmm venison
My coworkers wife made some venison chilly the other night (She always makes me a plate when she feels like cooking because she knows I am single)

Man I couldn't even tell, it was real good.
You couldn't tell what?

yea Turkey and ham just come from the grocery stores 3d printer

Guess that means "3D" -- either that or the first two printers were busy?

This wasn't a question about acquiring food but about deterring deer. I just find it interesting that the go-to solution in this culture is always about killing, destroying, shooting and blowing things up.

So sue me.
yea you are right pogo, just getting hungry, thinking about going to a Mexican joint in a bit.

deertopnoflash.gif

garden.gif

seal.jpg

Click here for test results

Find Us On Facebook

The Best All Natural Deer and Critter Repellents
Are you tired of deer constantly invading your garden and munching on your plants? Have you tried unsightly deer fences or other means of keeping deer out of the yard with no success? Don’t give up yet—try Deer Out™! Over the past 12 years, LaTorre's Deer Out™ Deer Repellent has become one of America's favorite all natural deer repellents for one simple reason—it works!

Thousands of nurserymen, landscape professionals, backyard gardeners, and commercial farmers choose LaTorre's Deer Out™ Deer Repellent year in and year out to effectively solve their deer problem. Our deer repellent products are guaranteed to keep deer away without chemicals or poisons, making them safe around your pets and children.

Deer Out™ is available in many convenient sizes. Click here for pricing and to buy with confidence. We are so certain that you will be pleasantly surprised by the minty fresh scent and astonished by the results that we proudly back our deer repellent products with a 100 percent money back guarantee.

Be sure to check out what other gardeners from around the country are saying about Deer Out™. Click here to read their reviews.

• Deer Out™ is super long lasting and can last up to 3 months or more
  • Deer Out™ won't wash off
  • Deer Out™ has a pleasant Peppermint fresh scent
  • Our 40oz spray bottle is very cost effective (you get 25 percent more deer repellent for the same price or less than most leading brands!)
  • Deer Out™ will stop deer from eating your flowers, shrubs, fruits, vegetables & all forest and fruit trees
  • Deer Out™ has been member tested and recommended by the National Home & Gardening Club, an organization with over 650,000 members
  • 100 percent all natural ingredients
  • 100 percent money back guarantee
Also check out our complete line of proven effective animal repellents for Rabbits, Groundhogs, Woodchucks, Rats, Mice and Raccoons.

Our Products
Deer Out™ – Deer Out™ is the deer repellent of choice for thousands of professional and hobbyist gardeners nationwide. A single application of Deer Out™ can keep deer away from your garden for up to three to four months. Click here to learn more about Deer Out deer repellent»

Critter Out™ – Do you have mice, squirrels, raccoons, and other small animals that like to make a home inside your home during the winter? Keep them out with Critter Out™! Unlike other pest control methods, Critter Out™ doesn’t kill vermin—it’s more humane, and you don’t have to deal with the smell and hassle of dead animals! Click here to learn more about Critter Out™ critter repellent »

Rabbit Out™ – Rabbits in your garden can do just as much damage as deer, so keep them out with Rabbit Out™! Rabbit Out™ lasts 30 days and will protect your plants from rabbits and groundhogs. Click here to learn more about Rabbit Out™ rabbit repellent »

If you need to keep animals out of your garden, go with the brand America has trusted for more than a decade. Order your Deer Out™, Critter Out™, or Rabbit Out™ today!

deerpic.jpg

20 Ways to Keep Deer Out of Your Yard
Prevent Bambi from doing lasting damage to your landscape
Danielle BlundellThis Old House online
00-deer.jpg

Photo: Derek Coetzee

The Buck Stops Here
Sure, they're pretty to look at, if you're quick—and quiet enough to catch a glimpse of deer galloping off into the distance. But set loose in your garden, they will ravage your tender tulips and plump pansies, leaving foliage raggedy and the fruits of your labor plundered. Fortunately, with a little bit of insight into their habits, you can prevent your flowers, bulbs, and vegetables from becoming a free buffet. Use these 20 tips, ranging from home remedies and recipes to organic solutions and humane exclusion techniques, as part of a prevention plan you should put into effect now—even before you've spotted the season's first deer.

The Buck Stops Here 20 Ways to Keep Deer Out of Your Yard This Old House

Tips for Deterring Deer
Keep the deer from eating their way through your garden with these tricks.

Once deer discover your yard as a delectable deli, they will hop fences, ignore scare tactics, and show up like clockwork to devour plant after plant. They'll trot right up on a porch to chomp off the roses or stretch high to nibble the clematis you thought was safe on an arbor.

Hungry deer will eat almost anything -- including occasional forays into the foods listed on our "won't eat" list. It partly depends on what else is available and how hungry the deer are. Deer in different regions have different palates. And the deer in your backyard might be the only one in the neighborhood that enjoys gobbling morning glories.
See top deer-resistant plants for your specific region.

Plant spring-blooming bulbs the deer won't eat.

Odor Deterrents

There are many deer deterrents, and effectiveness varies largely on how quickly your particular deer adjust to them. It's typical for many techniques to work for only a few days. Some common deterrents that are spread around the plants include:

• mothballs
  • thorny branches
  • hair
  • decaying fishheads
  • blood meal
  • garlic
  • fabric softener
  • processed sewage
  • repellent plants
Noise Deterrents

• floodlights
  • noisemakers
  • flags
  • radios
  • whistles
  • firecrackers
  • electric wires
  • hidden fishing lines
  • sprinklers
Sprays
There are deer-defying sprays for the plants, such as rotten-egg and water, soap spray, hot-pepper spray, and many types of commercial sprays. Some people even try to lure deer away by planting the animal's favorite foods in a remote part of the property, far from gardens and flower beds.

Fences
The most effective technique may be a fence around the garden. To keep deer out, a fence should extend partly underground and not have gaps bigger than 6x6 inches where deer can squeeze through or crawl under. Enclose the entire garden or deer will go around the fence. And a fence should be at least 8 feet high. Some deer can clear an 8-foot fence unless obstacles -- such as angled netting, tree branches, or thorny shrubs -- prevent a clear take-off or landing place. Or try two 4- or 5-foot-high fences placed 3 feet apart.

You don't have to fight to keep deer out of your yard. Use an effective fence around your prized plants, wherever possible feature plants low on the list on the deer menu, and maybe try a deterrent tactic or two. Your yard may become so much work or of so little interest that the deer won't bother trying.

Plant the Right Plant
Deer often steer clear of plants that are poisonous, fuzzy, coarse, spiny, bitter, or very aromatic. But if deer are unclear about liking something, they'll try it, so even things they don't like aren't always safe for you to plant!

For starters, design your garden with plants like these:

Trees
False cypress
Use our plant encyclopedia to search for deer-resistant trees hardy to your region.

Shrubs
Butterfly bush
Use our plant encyclopedia to search for deer-resistant shrubs hardy to your region.

Perennials
Centaurea
  • Ajuga
  • Agave
  • Aster
  • Astilbe
  • Bellflower
  • Catmint
  • Centaurea
  • Cyclamen
  • Fern
  • Black-eyed Susan
  • Iris
  • Lamb's ears
  • Lavender
  • Lupine
  • Mint
Salvia
  • Phlox
  • Oleander
  • Ornamental onion
  • Penstemon
  • Fountaingrass
  • Rosemary
  • Salvia
  • Armeria
  • Thyme
  • Tuberous begonia
  • Verbena
  • Veronica
  • Viola
  • Yarrow
Use our plant encyclopedia to search for deer-resistant perennials hardy to your region.
Tips for Deterring Deer

One thing that is simple and cheap would be an electric fence. Animals have a way of avoiding things that hurt them, that they do remember. Fence chargers are not that expensive, I would look on ebay. Wire can set you back some but not that much. A few stakes and insulators and your are set.

The shock, believe me I know, won't kill a person but it hurts like hell. Once the deer leave then taking it down isn't a big core.

Forum List

Back