China can but the US can't

China launches world's longest bullet train service - Telegraph

The opening of the new 2,298-kilometre (1,425-mile) line between Beijing and Guangzhou means passengers will be whisked from the capital to the southern commercial hub in just eight hours, compared with the 22 hours previously required.

china_longest_high_speed_rail.jpg

They can invest our money in their infrastructure but we're still in the dark ages.

rw's should be thrilled about this.

That's nothing compared to the "intercontinental railroad" that Mr Obama thinks we have.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48nip0Rcm7I]Obama Gaffe, Says Lincoln Built the "Intercontinental Railroad"?? - YouTube[/ame]

china built this for only 50 billion....if this was built in the US it would cost over 300 billion dollars...just consider the short high speed rail under consideration in CA....98 billion and it is a fraction of the length of china's new high speed rail

China's amazing new bullet train - Aug. 6, 2009

(Fortune Magazine) -- When lunch break comes at the construction site between Shanghai and Suzhou in eastern China, Xi Tong-li and his fellow laborers bolt for some nearby trees and the merciful slivers of shade they provide. It's 95 degrees and humid -- a typically oppressive summer day in southeastern China -- but it's not just mad dogs and Englishmen who go out in the midday sun.

Xi is among a vast army of workers in China -- according to Beijing's Railroad Ministry, 110,000 were laboring on a single line, the Beijing-Shanghai route, at the beginning of 2009 -- who are building one of the largest infrastructure projects in history: a nationwide high-speed passenger rail network that, once completed, will be the largest, fastest, and most technologically sophisticated in the world.

i don't even want to think about how much 110,000 american workers would cost

china built this for only 50 billion....

Bear that in mind after the first crash. And of course the government will be subsidizing almost 100% of maintenance and operation of the thing pretty much forever.

A bargain is rarely a bargain.

The opening of the new 2,298-kilometre (1,425-mile) line between Beijing and Guangzhou means passengers will be whisked from the capital to the southern commercial hub in just eight hours, compared with the 22 hours previously required.

They can invest our money in their infrastructure but we're still in the dark ages.

Liberal ideology: The people of China make $9,000 a year and we make on average $50,000 a year. Jeeze, if China can live off of $9,000, have zero freedom of speech, the death penalty for the most minuscule of crimes, no rights, and live in a collective utopia, then why cant we?

Meanwhile, China is on track to surpass the the US as the number one economic power.

I hope that isn't a surprise to you since they have four times our population.
India has 1.2 billion people. By your logic, they should outrank us.

It's probably why India has the 5th largest GDP in the world at 4.4 Trillion. China is 3rd at 11.3 Trillion but its all artificial spending thats impoverishing her people and creating ghost cities that no one can afford to live in. Having a command economy is bad for individual income but good for GDP!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that isn't a surprise to you since they have four times our population.

Give them time. Like China, they are just now moving towards capitalism.

To add.....
If you think a measly 300 million US people are going to continue to maintain economic dominance over the 1.3 billion Chinese as they move towards capitalism, guess again.

Give them time. Like China, they are just now moving towards capitalism.

To add.....
If you think a measly 300 million US people are going to continue to maintain economic dominance over the 1.3 billion Chinese as they move towards capitalism, guess again.

They aren't moving towards capitalism, they are just making their country more friendly to foreign industry than we. Think of it as a kind of economic warfare. They don't apply the same standard to their own intrastate commerce.

Last edited:

I'm thrilled we don't get taxed out the wazoo to pay for a boondoggle like this.

Move to China if you like their priorities. Maybe your kids can make iPhones for pennies an hour too.

I'm thrilled we don't get taxed out the wazoo to pay for a boondoggle like this.

Move to China if you like their priorities. Maybe your kids can make iPhones for pennies an hour too.
Why move, the wages in the US have decreased over time and continue to. It's a con wetdream.

Why move, the wages in the US have decreased over time and continue to. It's a con wetdream.

And more government is going to fix this right?

Do you have any idea how big the government is in China?

I suppose you prefer Chinese wages.
:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Forum List

Back