Chinese chip equipment maker AMEC sues U.S. over military blacklist

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Chinese semiconductor equipment maker Advanced Micro-Fabrication Equipment (AMEC) on Friday announced it has filed a lawsuit in an American court against the U.S. Department of Defense for adding it to a blacklist.

In January, Shanghai-based AMEC was included in the DOD's list of "Chinese military companies" operating in the U.S. The company said the inclusion was "erroneous, factually incorrect, without legal basis, and in violation of procedural due process, which has had a significantly detrimental impact on AMEC's reputation."

AMEC has "never been involved in any military-related activities," it added.

This is an interesting turn of events.

I can fully admit I have no idea what the US laws are on such things, but I cannot imagine this suit could actually win...but then...

The lawsuit comes days after the Financial Times reported that the DOD plans to remove another company, vehicle lidar maker Hesai Technology, from the blacklist. Hesai had sued the DOD in May and its CEO, David Li, recently told Nikkei Asia that allegations of military ties are "ridiculous."

It seems a different company already did so successfully.

Chinese semiconductor equipment maker Advanced Micro-Fabrication Equipment (AMEC) on Friday announced it has filed a lawsuit in an American court against the U.S. Department of Defense for adding it to a blacklist.

In January, Shanghai-based AMEC was included in the DOD's list of "Chinese military companies" operating in the U.S. The company said the inclusion was "erroneous, factually incorrect, without legal basis, and in violation of procedural due process, which has had a significantly detrimental impact on AMEC's reputation."

AMEC has "never been involved in any military-related activities," it added.

This is an interesting turn of events.

I can fully admit I have no idea what the US laws are on such things, but I cannot imagine this suit could actually win...but then...

The lawsuit comes days after the Financial Times reported that the DOD plans to remove another company, vehicle lidar maker Hesai Technology, from the blacklist. Hesai had sued the DOD in May and its CEO, David Li, recently told Nikkei Asia that allegations of military ties are "ridiculous."

It seems a different company already did so successfully.
They cannot win. No way the courts are going to overrule the Executive branch on issues of Narional Security.

Forum List

Back