Christian printer wins a major victory

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
Exactly, finally a court with some common sense.

Christian Printer Who Was Punished By the Gov’t for Refusing to Print Gay Pride T-Shirts Just Scored a Major Victory

A Christian printer who was previously found guilty of discrimination for refusing to print T-shirts for a gay pride parade won big on Monday after a court ruled that he can decline to print messages that run in opposition to his religious views.

The Fayette County Circuit Court’s ruling overturned a previous decision by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Human Rights Commission, finding that Blaine Adamson, owner of Hands On Originals, a printing company in Lexington, Kentucky, was within his rights when he declined to make shirts for the Lexington Pride Parade, according to a press release from Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative legal firm.

The court found that Adamson did not violate the law in citing his religious convictions as the reason for the refusal, and that his decision was based on his personal freedom not to be forced or coerced to print messages that contradict his views.

Christian Printer Who Was Punished By the Gov t for Refusing to Print Gay Pride T-Shirts Just Scored a Major Victory TheBlaze.com

Not just a court with common sense but upheld the 1st amendment.
Gays still have their rights also because they can get another printer to print their T-shirts.
Choice should never be outlawed in this country.
A Gay print shop owner should never be forced to print anything from the Westboro Church either.

Last edited:
The thing about this ruling is if it applies to this printer shouldn't it apply to bakers as well?

The thing about this ruling is if it applies to this printer shouldn't it apply to bakers as well?

This is a much clearer 1st amendment issue, as it regards speech as well as religion. Courts have been denying baking and photography as means of expression, but I guess actual printed material was too much for this court to rule against the printer in question.

Until we start seeing similar cases outside actual "speech" issues, we should be careful not to overestimate the impact of this one case.

Exactly, finally a court with some common sense.

Christian Printer Who Was Punished By the Gov’t for Refusing to Print Gay Pride T-Shirts Just Scored a Major Victory

A Christian printer who was previously found guilty of discrimination for refusing to print T-shirts for a gay pride parade won big on Monday after a court ruled that he can decline to print messages that run in opposition to his religious views.

The Fayette County Circuit Court’s ruling overturned a previous decision by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Human Rights Commission, finding that Blaine Adamson, owner of Hands On Originals, a printing company in Lexington, Kentucky, was within his rights when he declined to make shirts for the Lexington Pride Parade, according to a press release from Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative legal firm.

The court found that Adamson did not violate the law in citing his religious convictions as the reason for the refusal, and that his decision was based on his personal freedom not to be forced or coerced to print messages that contradict his views.

Christian Printer Who Was Punished By the Gov t for Refusing to Print Gay Pride T-Shirts Just Scored a Major Victory TheBlaze.com
I think it's a win for everyone. People forget there is more to this issue. It's not just Christianity under attack, there are many people who will benefit from this ruling. Jews won't have to serve Neo Nazi's, blacks won't have to serve the Klan, Muslims won't have to do something that insults Islam,I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Gays have rights but others have rights too, the sooner the gay community realizes that the better it will be for them. For every one business that won't serve gay events, 7 others will pop up glad to fill the void. Nobody need be forced to violate their personal convictions and nobody need lose out on an event. The gay community much like other communities across the country, will learn who is the best for their event and who isn't.

The printer was asked to write speech on the shirt. The baker was not. So the 2 cases are completely different.

The baker was prohibited to the1st amendment that says Christians have the right to their free exercise of religion.
In fact free exercise of religion is mentioned even before freedom of speech.

The printer was asked to write speech on the shirt. The baker was not. So the 2 cases are completely different.

both are forms of expression, the t-shirt is just the harder one for progressive judges to punish without looking bad. and if not expression, they are forms of association, evidently the right to which you don't believe in for people who disagree with you.

A good decision as it involved speech and religion.

Let's see what appeals, if any, occur.

This ruling would apply to bakers in the Fayette County Circuit Court jurisdiction who were asked to actually write a message on a product. Sure.

>>>>

This is a much clearer 1st amendment issue, as it regards speech as well as religion. Courts have been denying baking and photography as means of expression, but I guess actual printed material was too much for this court to rule against the printer in question.

Until we start seeing similar cases outside actual "speech" issues, we should be careful not to overestimate the impact of this one case.

That's my thought as well. I think bakers who refuse to write something on a cake will find far more shade legally than those who refuse to make a cake. As writing is speech. And cake is a confection.

The 'pastry equals speech paradigm is going to be a tough sell.

That's my thought as well. I think bakers who refuse to write something on a cake will find far more shade legally than those who refuse to make a cake. As writing is speech. And cake is a confection.

I can see how baking a cake could be speech, except it's tough to say it's speech only when it's intended to be eaten at a gay wedding reception and is just a product the rest of the time

Last edited:

I can see how baking a cook could be speech, except it's tough to say it's speech only when it's intended to be eaten at a gay wedding reception and is just a product the rest of the time

Speech generally involves words. Baking, not so much.

Though baking a cook would probably qualify as homicide unless they were already dead.

The baker was prohibited to the1st amendment that says Christians have the right to their free exercise of religion.
In fact free exercise of religion is mentioned even before freedom of speech.
No. If that were the case the baker would have won. You people just don't get it. Or you're refusing to.

both are forms of expression, the t-shirt is just the harder one for progressive judges to punish without looking bad. and if not expression, they are forms of association, evidently the right to which you don't believe in for people who disagree with you.
No. If they were both forms of expression the baker would have won.

Forum List

Back