Christie to back Obamacare

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Chris Christie Expected To Propose Medicaid Expansion: Report

Jeffrey Young
02/26/2013

New Jersey governor Chris Christie is expected to propose this afternoon that his state expand its Medicaid program to more poor people under President Barack Obama's health care reform law, according to a report by the Newark Star-Ledger. The Republican governor is speaking before the state legislature at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Christie would be the eighth Republican governor to back this key element of President Barack Obama's health care reform law, joining Florida's Rick Scott, Ohio's John Kasich and others in agreeing to expand Medicaid, a joint federal-state health care program for the poor and people with disabilities.

As time goes on, more & more of the middle class will be liable to new Obamacare 'surcharge'...
:eusa_eh:
The hidden tax that Washington doesn’t want you to know about
February 28,`13 - Okay, middle-class taxpayers: Listen up. Our national government in Washington is whacking you again. This time the whacking involves the way that two new income tax surcharges, supposedly designed to affect only the “rich,” will reach deeper and deeper into the middle class unless something is done now to rein them in.
I’m talking about the 0.9 percent tax surcharge on the amount by which *individuals’ “earned income” — such as salaries and fees — exceeds $200,000 this year, and the 3.8 percent surcharge on some or all the investment income of single households with an adjusted gross income of more than $200,000, and married households with an adjusted gross of $250,000 and up.

These surcharges were built into the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obama*care). The problem isn’t the tax surcharges themselves — it’s the fact that the thresholds for them aren’t indexed for inflation. This means that unless something is done, more and more people will be subject to these taxes as inflation boosts incomes. Let me show you how this works, using numbers from a study that the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center did a year ago.

For 2013, the TPC said, about 2.4 percent of households would pay one or both of the surtaxes. By 2022, the level will have risen to 4.6 percent. Project it out another decade, and you’re at 9 percent. Given how things work, you would probably be looking at the surtaxes affecting 20 percent or more of taxpayers in places such as New York and California. (You can find the relevant page from the TPC study at fortune.com/sloan.)

You can make the case that people who are subject to either or both taxes — who include me — are upper-middle-class or rich, and can and should fork over some extra money to help the rest of the country. But when you look 10 or 20 years out, you see that unless you index the tax thresholds, these taxes will have expanded well beyond the “rich,” however you define that, and will be clawing away at increasing swaths of the middle class.

MORE

GOP does an about-face on funding Obamacare...
After Passing CR That Funds Obamacare, GOP Presents Budget Symbolically Repealing It
March 12, 2013 – One week after voting to give the Obama administration full funding for the implemenation of Obamacare in the must-pass contrinuing resolution that will fund the federal government for the rest of fiscal 2013, the House Republicans are once again vowing to symbolically repeal Obamacare in legislation that is not must-pass.
“We don’t like this law,” House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said of Obamacare as he unveiled his budget for fiscal year 2014 at the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday. “This is why we’re proposing to repeal this law in our budget.” “This to us is something that we’re not going to give up on,” Ryan said, explaining that Obamcare--that goes into full effect in just nine months--“will do great damage to families and the health care system of America.”

House Republicans have symbolically voted to repeal Obamacare more than 30 times in legislation that does not need to pass. However, every time they have enacted legislation that must-pass to keep the government funded, they have declined to include language that would repeal all or any part of Obamacare or that would withold funding for all or any part of Obamacare. Last week, as CNSNews.com previously reported, when the Republican-controlled House took up the $982-billion continuing resolution (CR) to fund the government through September, the legislation did include language prohibiting the administration from buying foreign-made ball bearings but it did not include language limiting the implementation of Obamacare.

The CR, for example, did not include language to prevent the administration from moving forward with a regulation that requires health-care plans to provide cost-free coverage for sterilizations, contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs--a regulation that dozens of Christian organizations and businesses have sued the federal government to stop, arguing that it violates their First Amendment right to the free exercise of religion. Ryan on Tuesday introduced his fourth consecutive “Path to Prosperity” blueprint, which balances the budget in 10 years and reduces spending by $4.6 trillion. Ryan has said that repealing Obamacare--and thus stopping its expansion of Medicare--is key to reaching budget balance.

Moreover, Ryan vowed repeal because he said Americans “will not like this law.” “We believe that this law is going to collapse under its own weight,” he said Tuesday. “Please know that when Americans see exactly what this law entails, which they have not seen all of these details. Those of us who work on these oversight committees, who know what’s going to happen to the provider networks, who know what’s going to happen to people when they lose their health insurance, their jobs -- they’re not going to like this law. “This is why we’re not only repealing this law because we don’t think we can afford to borrow $1.8 trillion in extra spending this law entails, we think we can replace it with a better health care system,” Ryan added. “And that’s also something that we’re going to be proposing.”

MORE

Christie is willing to put his constituency's best interests ahead of partisan politics ....

Christie is willing to put his constituency's best interests ahead of partisan politics ....

That's what works, these days.

People vote for whoever can give them the most "freebies"

Except that ObamaCare isn't free.

OTOH, Ronnie Ray-Gun's EMTALA is free to those rw's who don't care to pay for their own care.

The other so-called freebies are all LIES but I'm sure that won't stop you from repeating them.

barforma

Christie is the penultimate politician.

Bazooka barf time.

What kills me is the idiot bitches that fell for him. Yes Annie. Yes Laura. Freaking f'n morons.

I'm so angry at them.

Now I'm listening to Laura try to spin. What a douche bag.

Wherever you are, I love you to death.

No one else could cud up as an attractant, And why did I notice it? Why did I know it was cud?

Some one hurt me right now.....:eusa_shhh:

I'm waiting for the announcement that Gov.Christie has change parties and is now a Democrat.

I am too, since there is no longer such a thing as a moderate Republican. If your not a bat shit crazy tea party social conservative, then you don't belong in today's Republican Party. Ronnie is turning over in his grave.

As time goes on, more & more of the middle class will be liable to new Obamacare 'surcharge'...
The hidden tax that Washington doesn’t want you to know about
February 28,`13 - Okay, middle-class taxpayers: Listen up. Our national government in Washington is whacking you again. This time the whacking involves the way that two new income tax surcharges, supposedly designed to affect only the “rich,” will reach deeper and deeper into the middle class unless something is done now to rein them in.
I’m talking about the 0.9 percent tax surcharge on the amount by which *individuals’ “earned income” — such as salaries and fees — exceeds $200,000 this year, and the 3.8 percent surcharge on some or all the investment income of single households with an adjusted gross income of more than $200,000, and married households with an adjusted gross of $250,000 and up.

These surcharges were built into the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obama*care). The problem isn’t the tax surcharges themselves — it’s the fact that the thresholds for them aren’t indexed for inflation. This means that unless something is done, more and more people will be subject to these taxes as inflation boosts incomes. Let me show you how this works, using numbers from a study that the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center did a year ago.

For 2013, the TPC said, about 2.4 percent of households would pay one or both of the surtaxes. By 2022, the level will have risen to 4.6 percent. Project it out another decade, and you’re at 9 percent. Given how things work, you would probably be looking at the surtaxes affecting 20 percent or more of taxpayers in places such as New York and California. (You can find the relevant page from the TPC study at fortune.com/sloan.)

You can make the case that people who are subject to either or both taxes — who include me — are upper-middle-class or rich, and can and should fork over some extra money to help the rest of the country. But when you look 10 or 20 years out, you see that unless you index the tax thresholds, these taxes will have expanded well beyond the “rich,” however you define that, and will be clawing away at increasing swaths of the middle class.

MORE

Pretty much the same problem as with the AMT. As I've said all along, the ACA is just the starting point. Changes will be made, because there are a lot of good things in the ACA, but some things may prove to not work as anticipated. I don't think you will see much objection to positive changes once the program is fully implemented and we can see how it is actually working.

I'm waiting for the announcement that Gov.Christie has change parties and is now a Democrat.

I am too, since there is no longer such a thing as a moderate Republican. If your not a bat shit crazy tea party social conservative, then you don't belong in today's Republican Party. Ronnie is turning over in his grave.

Yup.....those Tea Party member are sooooo crazy.

la-local-tea-party-members-ready-to-rumble-for-cha
tea+party+004.jpg
20090416_teaparty2_33.jpg
alg-tea-party-members-jpg.jpg
stlouisteaparty040510.jpg

People who live in New Jersey pay some of the highest taxes in the US; they understand what they are doing, and they understand the difference between a decent return of government services for their tax dollars vs. "freebies". You guys really need to get off this freebie whining, because it's not getting you anywhere. It really just makes you look like a bunch of sniveling spoiled brats.

People who live in New Jersey pay some of the highest taxes in the US; they understand what they are doing, and they understand the difference between a decent return of government services for their tax dollars vs. "freebies". You guys really need to get off this freebie whining, because it's not getting you anywhere. It really just makes you look like a bunch of sniveling spoiled brats.

And you keep voting in those Democraps.

I guess you can't fix stupid.

Sorry if us brats say it like it is and that bothers you.

Seems to me you're being bratty.

Forum List

Back