Climate change leads to Thames drying up

This is pretty grim. Our next PM is beholden to the crazy deniers in the party so this will get worse.
The same rightwing crazy deniers are in the US.

When Republicans control Congress next year there’ll be more conservative incompetence, inaction, and obstruction.

The plastic grass thing amuses me. That is more a British small yard thing and a arid western US thing where people get paid to remove lawns to conserve water.

My rain gauge clocked in 4.45 inches of rain yesterday, which would be about 11 and a third centimeters in your part of the world.

Hardscaping is a general problem particularly in urban America and our massive parking lots, but around here it is mostly just the lack of carrying capacity for storm drain systems. Continuing to add more basins to the same diameter line works okay when you have drizzles, but when you have lashing rain events, the system gets overwhelmed quite quickly. Governments like to work on the cheap even on high dollar projects. There is no incentive yet to dig up a thousand miles of drain pipes just to install bigger ones, bury it again, and then have to repave over the top of it. In the meantime, they will keep adding more catch basins to the 150 year old system and pray it works okay enough most days.
Thats a lot of rain.
We live near the bottom of the hill andour drains cant takei t when its really bad.
The road gets submerged and we go upstairs where we can get a better view of the cars trying to get through it. Looks spectacular.
I have to go out to unblock the drain at some point. The water board cleans them every few months but they still get clogged on a bad day.

We are about 2 ft above the road so probably ok unless armageddon hits.

Thats a lot of rain.
We live near the bottom of the hill andour drains cant takei t when its really bad.
The road gets submerged and we go upstairs where we can get a better view of the cars trying to get through it. Looks spectacular.
I have to go out to unblock the drain at some point. The water board cleans them every few months but they still get clogged on a bad day.

We are about 2 ft above the road so probably ok unless armageddon hits.

I live more on a terrace on a hill with a creek running through the bottom of it. We can get quite soggy but it dissapates quickly after the storm passes. The only real flooding at my house was in 2016 when the warm wet remnants of Hurricane Matthew collided with a cold front right over our region. We got 9 inches of rain in 90 minutes (roughly 23 cm), so an inch every ten minutes. Were without power for a week. Not just my area. Most of the city was offline as all grid lines except one into the city were knocked out. 100 foot of the paved road across the creek in the bottom completely washed away. Part of my property that sits a couple feet below the street level was completely underwater with a flash-flood river crossing the road beside it. A few people drowned. The rescue services did hundreds of swift-water rescues off one road alone. Crazy stuff I hope to never experience again.

Its the only one reported. Lot of rivers are running low.

The Thames has multiple source points. In dry seasons, gosh, I wonder how many of those there have been over the millenia? the source is lower down, as it is this year.

When it is wet the source comes from the springs. There is even a group that claims the Churn river source is rightly the head of the Thames.

Imagine that, hundreds of years and still they argue.

This is pretty grim. Our next PM is beholden to the crazy deniers in the party so this will get worse.
It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of leftwing fools

You wanted to save the polar bears by casting yourselves into energy shortage

But instead Nature has the last laugh

Forum List

Back