CO2 Has Almost No Effect on Global Temperature, Says Leading Climate Scientist

Pay attention: The appeal to authority is a logical fallacy.

Do you understand what that means?
To appeal to a real authority is NOT a logical fallacy

It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding and/or access to empirical evidence.
Some consider that it is used in a cogent form if all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context
Exception: Be very careful not to confuse "deferring to an authority on the issue" with the appeal to authority fallacy. Remember, a fallacy is an error in reasoning. Dismissing the council of legitimate experts and authorities turns good skepticism into denialism. The appeal to authority is a fallacy in argumentation, but deferring to an authority is a reliable heuristic that we all use virtually every day on issues of relatively little importance. There is always a chance that any authority can be wrong, that’s why the critical thinker accepts facts provisionally. It is not at all unreasonable (or an error in reasoning) to accept information as provisionally true by credible authorities. Of course, the reasonableness is moderated by the claim being made (i.e., how extraordinary, how important) and the authority (how credible, how relevant to the claim).

The appeal to authority is more about claims that require evidence than about facts. For example, if your tour guide told you that Vatican City was founded February 11, 1929, and you accept that information as true, you are not committing a fallacy (because it is not in the context of argumentation) nor are you being unreasonable.
Unlike, for example, an appeal to pity, it’s possible for an appeal to authority to be a logically sound argument. This isn’t the only type of argument that has both fallacious and non-fallacious uses. Others include the slippery slope and sunk cost fallacies. The difference between a fallacious and non-fallacious appeal to authority, like these others, is how it’s used.
A. Proper experts and authorities render valuable opinions in their fields and, ceteris paribus, should be believed when we are unable to come to a conclusion on more secure grounds.
B. To qualify as an authority, the individual must be generally recognized by peers in the same field when the peers hold a similar view. (Examine, for yourself, why this condition is not an instance of the ad populum fallacy.)

To appeal to a real authority is NOT a logical fallacy
I knew some prog dumbass was going to say that.

It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding and/or access to empirical evidence.
Some consider that it is used in a cogent form if all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context
Exception: Be very careful not to confuse "deferring to an authority on the issue" with the appeal to authority fallacy. Remember, a fallacy is an error in reasoning. Dismissing the council of legitimate experts and authorities turns good skepticism into denialism. The appeal to authority is a fallacy in argumentation, but deferring to an authority is a reliable heuristic that we all use virtually every day on issues of relatively little importance. There is always a chance that any authority can be wrong, that’s why the critical thinker accepts facts provisionally. It is not at all unreasonable (or an error in reasoning) to accept information as provisionally true by credible authorities. Of course, the reasonableness is moderated by the claim being made (i.e., how extraordinary, how important) and the authority (how credible, how relevant to the claim).

The appeal to authority is more about claims that require evidence than about facts. For example, if your tour guide told you that Vatican City was founded February 11, 1929, and you accept that information as true, you are not committing a fallacy (because it is not in the context of argumentation) nor are you being unreasonable.
Unlike, for example, an appeal to pity, it’s possible for an appeal to authority to be a logically sound argument. This isn’t the only type of argument that has both fallacious and non-fallacious uses. Others include the slippery slope and sunk cost fallacies. The difference between a fallacious and non-fallacious appeal to authority, like these others, is how it’s used.
A. Proper experts and authorities render valuable opinions in their fields and, ceteris paribus, should be believed when we are unable to come to a conclusion on more secure grounds.
B. To qualify as an authority, the individual must be generally recognized by peers in the same field when the peers hold a similar view. (Examine, for yourself, why this condition is not an instance of the ad populum fallacy.)

Thanks for showing everyone that you're a dumbass who doesn't know what the appeal to authority is and why it's wrong.

Last edited:
I knew some prog dumbass was going to say that.

Thanks for showing everyone that you're a dumbass who doesn't know what the appeal to authority is and why it's wrong.
Before you embarrass yourself further, I strongly suggest you look at post #325 just above.

Since your erroneous attempt to cite appeal to authority failed, what other logical fallacies do you believe I use?
almost every post you make!!! fyi, ignorant posts to move away from the topic almost every post.

Never a direct response to a question, nope, logical fallacy pops up. That's you dude!!!!

Since your erroneous attempt to cite appeal to authority failed, what other logical fallacies do you believe I use?
Dagosa, very sorry. I replied to the wrong post. That was intended for bripat12345 or whatever he is.

Forum List

Back