Company provided sub-par steel for construction of US submarines.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta

"The foundry's director of metallurgy, Elaine Thomas, 66, of Auburn, Washington, also was charged criminally with one count of major fraud against the United States. Thomas, who worked in various capacities at the lab for 40 years, was due to make an initial appearance in federal court June 30."

"The criminal complaint said she fabricated the results of more than 200 productions of steel, representing a substantial percentage of the castings Bradken produced for the Navy."

Bitch needs to spend the rest of her life in prison. But first, send her out on one of those submarines and take it to test depth. I bet the sound of the hull creaking and popping would freak her the fuck out.

"The foundry's director of metallurgy, Elaine Thomas, 66, of Auburn, Washington, also was charged criminally with one count of major fraud against the United States. Thomas, who worked in various capacities at the lab for 40 years, was due to make an initial appearance in federal court June 30."

"The criminal complaint said she fabricated the results of more than 200 productions of steel, representing a substantial percentage of the castings Bradken produced for the Navy."

Bitch needs to spend the rest of her life in prison. But first, send her out on one of those submarines and take it to test depth. I bet the sound of the hull creaking and popping would freak her the fuck out.
But wait a minute. I thought women were supposed to be superior to men? Are you telling me this cheating bitch was more interested in making profits over the safety of our military? How can this be?

One of the biggest betrayals Canada engaged in, on top of our covert policing of citizens al la East Berlin; is our nation being a launching ground for products made in China to be shipped into the U.S. It's allowed a much higher amount of garbage steel and aluminum to flood the U.S market.

Just as bad, it actually hurt our own industry as companies producing these resources in Canada shut their doors. So, the Canadian crooks hurt our own industries and reputation, all to make a few bucks. As a nation, we've all paid for this exponentially. What this woman did is akin to treason. It's precisely the type of action a foreign agent would engage in, to sabotage a foreign military.

Last edited:

But wait a minute. I thought women were supposed to be superior to men? Are you telling me this cheating bitch was more interested in making profits over the safety of our military? How can this be?

Your sarcasm is noted. But a penis is not required to put profits above the lives of our military.

And as someone who rode (and drove) in US Naval submarines to test depths, I think this woman should be hung out to dry.

Why not also send the Republicans to prison who took bribes, de-regulated & relied only on the companies test results? Oh yeah, they are the protected elites who make sure their donors wealth grows rapidly.

Yes, throw the book at her

And in the future the steel needs to be certified by more than one test lab

plus, could it be that others are guilty also?

after all, what was her motive for falsifying the data?

Yes, throw the book at her

And in the future the steel needs to be certified by more than one test lab

plus, could it be that others are guilty also?

after all, what was her motive for falsifying the data?
Data is usually falsified so as not to lose a production run espeially if it falls short by just a little. I have seen it done lots of times.

I used to work QA at a Navy Sub Base.

They had very strict Level 1 requirements on all fasteners, welds and fittings that were subjected to outside water pressure. Everything was marked and traceable to where and when it was manufactured. All parts were X-Rayed and material used was strictly controlled and tests were Government witnessed and signed off.

Hard to believe she got away with it for so long.

Data is usually falsified so as not to lose a production run espeially if it falls short by just a little. I have seen it done lots of times.
Sure

And may have just been laziness or incompetence that motivated her to lie

but I’m guessing there are others involved

Your sarcasm is noted. But a penis is not required to put profits above the lives of our military.

And as someone who rode (and drove) in US Naval submarines to test depths, I think this woman should be hung out to dry.
But a penis is not required to put profits above the lives of our military.
The equal rights of women, knows no bounds, it seems...Equally corrupt...

I read the article and it says the only test where results were falsified was a hardness test at minus 100 degrees F. That seems like a ridiculous over test to me. The coldest ocean water is around positive 28 degrees F. Am I missing something here?

I read the article and it says the only test where results were falsified was a hardness test at minus 100 degrees F. That seems like a ridiculous over test to me. The coldest ocean water is around positive 28 degrees F. Am I missing something here?
Well you dont want the submarines swimming through icebergs you know...

But a penis is not required to put profits above the lives of our military.
The equal rights of women, knows no bounds, it seems...Equally corrupt...

Corruption is about what a person does, not their gender.

So, the steel was never independently tested? There is a correlation between hardness & Tensile strength. A quick hardness test would likely show the problem.
Maybe the problem extends beyond company management & a buyer in the Navy.

There are several requirements for the steel. I recall from my quals that the pressure hull is made of HY-80 steel. It is very strong, but also has a small amount of flex in it. It is also weldable.

The first deep dive I made, hearing the hull creak and moan was unnerving as hell.

The steel was verified to be at certain specs. It either is or it isn't.

Also, the testing is done at extremes because there are not tests to simulate diving to deep depths and surfacing again over and over for years. Metal fatigue become a factor that must be accounted for.

And subs do break through Arctic ice. I have been on cruises under the ice. I have my Bluenose certificate (for going inside the Arctic Circle) to prove it.

The steel was verified to be at certain specs. It either is or it isn't.

Also, the testing is done at extremes because there are not tests to simulate diving to deep depths and surfacing again over and over for years. Metal fatigue become a factor that must be accounted for.

And subs do break through Arctic ice. I have been on cruises under the ice. I have my Bluenose certificate (for going inside the Arctic Circle) to prove it.
OK I get that. But it still doesn't make sense to me to impose a Space temperature requirement on a Submarine. If metal fatigue is the issue then design a metal fatigue test. If hardness is the issue then design a test for busting through ice.

Forum List

Back