Cons say we are not a democracy, we are a representative republic

A republic is what we are. Never was a democracy. A republic is a representative democracy.

Everyone study the above and see if you get the same laugh I did.
Which words are too big for you? Or are you just stoned out of your mind as usual?

You said we are not a democracy - we are a democracy.

"Cons say we are not a democracy, we are a representative republic"

The problem is most conservatives are inconsistent with their perception of our Constitutional Republic.

When states enact measures conservatives approve of, such as denying women their right to privacy or gay Americans their right to access marriage laws, they’re all in favor of the ‘will of the people’ – the Constitution, its case law, and respect for the rule of law be damned.

When states enact measures conservatives disapprove of, however, such as banning semi-automatic rifles, it’s the will of the people be damned, and conservatives are filing suit in Federal court citing the Constitution and its case law, and demanding that the rule of law supersedes the ‘will of the people’ in our Constitutional Republic.

Conservatives can’t have it both ways.

If states cannot ban certain firearms where the ‘will of the people’ is discarded in favor of Constitutional case law and the rule of law, then so too the states cannot prohibit same-sex couples from marrying, where the ‘will of the people’ is no more valid than when they sought to ban a given class of firearms.

See how the far left does not understand anything other than their religious dogma..

The US not a democracy.

The US is supposed to be a represented government for the people.

The US does not participate in the popular voting system, it is done through delegates..

These delegates do not have to follow the popular vote, but they often do..

Last edited:
A republic is what we are. Never was a democracy. A republic is a representative democracy.

Which words are too big for you? Or are you just stoned out of your mind as usual?

Your brain only saw what it wanted. I said we are a representative democracy. A democracy is two lions and a lamb deciding on dinner.

Okay, first of all, he has a Bachelor's degree in real estate economics. Unless we're planning on renting out the country, that's not enormously helpful. Nor does it make him particularly knowledgeable about macroeconomics at all. Wharton also has a Bachelor's in Economics with a concentration on Health Information Management, for the record, and I don't think anyone is going to suggest that hospital administrators are JUST the ticket for saving the national economy.

Second, Ted Cruz has a lot more than "a law degree". He graduated cum laude from Princeton with his Bachelor's in public policy. While he was studying Constitutional law at Harvard, from which he graduated magna cum laude, he was executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy and a John M. Olin Fellow of Law and Economics. It's not like he studied to be an ambulance chaser or write up wills.

By the way, just as a side note, Ted Cruz did not go to prestigious schools on the Daddy Scholarship plan like Trump; he got in completely on his own merit and hard work. Do you know how difficult that is at not one, but two Ivy League schools?

Third, a close examination of Trump's business history does not exactly fill one with overflowing confidence. The bulk of his wealth and income actually come from things that other people do for him, and always have. Forbes and other business magazines indicate that the majority of his wealth comes from collecting rent on NYC real estate, much if not most of which he simply inherited from his father. When he took control of the company and started branching out onto his own grandiose schemes, he started his string of four bankruptcies and multiple failures (virtually every business outside of real estate went defunct, in fact), culminating in him being ousted from control of his own company.

I think it's pretty clear that Ted Cruz prepared his whole life for public service, and prepared brilliantly for it, and Donald Trump did the bare minimum to prepare for inheriting a NY real estate company. I know which one I would feel safer having at the helm of the US.

Furthermore, in every instance Cruz's platform and policy proposals indicate a much deeper and more realistic understanding of the issues facing our nation and what it takes to solve them. As far as I can tell, Donald Trump thinks all the country needs is him being wonderful and trash-talking every country we deal with.
He did pretty good with his real estate degree. It wasn't exactly a home flipping career. To minimize it in favor of paper accolades is just political polemics on your part. Lawyers made good presidents? Where the evidence for that? They don't even make good people for the most part.

Trump did delve into a lot of ventures and in business there are going to be failures, nothing is 100%. That's why most people don't do it. It may not all have been good or pretty but what is?
Many Americans are sick of career politicians, I don't care how well groomed they are or how much the political party bosses love them. That's not a sales feature for me. Teddy comes across like a snake oil salesman and isn't doing that great polling nationally and the left hasn't even begun to start in on him while Trump has been hammered relentlessly.

He did pretty good with his real estate degree? Like he's personally managing his properties and collecting the rents that make up the bulk of his income? Yeah, right. What he did with his real estate degree was come up with a string of grandiose schemes that led to a string of failed businesses and bankruptcies that lost his investors a ton of money. Oh, and class-action lawsuits. I really doubt he'd have accomplished much of anything if he hadn't started out with the fortune and company his father built.

You want evidence that lawyers can make good Presidents? Of the 44 Presidents we've had, 22 of them have been lawyers, including Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, John Adams . . .

Trump did a lot worse than "not 100%". He was ousted from control of his own company. Every single bankruptcy restructuring he went through required that someone other than him take over the failing segment of the business.

Aaaaaaand . . . then we flip over to vague, generalized Trumpisms: career politicians, anger anger anger, "He just SEEMS bad", "Don't you understand, we're ANGRY! That's all that MATTERS, damn it!" *yawn* God forbid that we make the decision of who will be President on anything deeper than, "This one's rich and THAT one has been elected to something! AAAAAAuuuuuugghgghhh!" Whatever.

Okay, first of all, he has a Bachelor's degree in real estate economics. Unless we're planning on renting out the country, that's not enormously helpful. Nor does it make him particularly knowledgeable about macroeconomics at all. Wharton also has a Bachelor's in Economics with a concentration on Health Information Management, for the record, and I don't think anyone is going to suggest that hospital administrators are JUST the ticket for saving the national economy.

Second, Ted Cruz has a lot more than "a law degree". He graduated cum laude from Princeton with his Bachelor's in public policy. While he was studying Constitutional law at Harvard, from which he graduated magna cum laude, he was executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy and a John M. Olin Fellow of Law and Economics. It's not like he studied to be an ambulance chaser or write up wills.

By the way, just as a side note, Ted Cruz did not go to prestigious schools on the Daddy Scholarship plan like Trump; he got in completely on his own merit and hard work. Do you know how difficult that is at not one, but two Ivy League schools?

Third, a close examination of Trump's business history does not exactly fill one with overflowing confidence. The bulk of his wealth and income actually come from things that other people do for him, and always have. Forbes and other business magazines indicate that the majority of his wealth comes from collecting rent on NYC real estate, much if not most of which he simply inherited from his father. When he took control of the company and started branching out onto his own grandiose schemes, he started his string of four bankruptcies and multiple failures (virtually every business outside of real estate went defunct, in fact), culminating in him being ousted from control of his own company.

I think it's pretty clear that Ted Cruz prepared his whole life for public service, and prepared brilliantly for it, and Donald Trump did the bare minimum to prepare for inheriting a NY real estate company. I know which one I would feel safer having at the helm of the US.

Furthermore, in every instance Cruz's platform and policy proposals indicate a much deeper and more realistic understanding of the issues facing our nation and what it takes to solve them. As far as I can tell, Donald Trump thinks all the country needs is him being wonderful and trash-talking every country we deal with.
He did pretty good with his real estate degree. It wasn't exactly a home flipping career. To minimize it in favor of paper accolades is just political polemics on your part. Lawyers made good presidents? Where the evidence for that? They don't even make good people for the most part.

Trump did delve into a lot of ventures and in business there are going to be failures, nothing is 100%. That's why most people don't do it. It may not all have been good or pretty but what is?
Many Americans are sick of career politicians, I don't care how well groomed they are or how much the political party bosses love them. That's not a sales feature for me. Teddy comes across like a snake oil salesman and isn't doing that great polling nationally and the left hasn't even begun to start in on him while Trump has been hammered relentlessly.

He did pretty good with his real estate degree? Like he's personally managing his properties and collecting the rents that make up the bulk of his income? Yeah, right. What he did with his real estate degree was come up with a string of grandiose schemes that led to a string of failed businesses and bankruptcies that lost his investors a ton of money. Oh, and class-action lawsuits. I really doubt he'd have accomplished much of anything if he hadn't started out with the fortune and company his father built.

You want evidence that lawyers can make good Presidents? Of the 44 Presidents we've had, 22 of them have been lawyers, including Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, John Adams . . .

Trump did a lot worse than "not 100%". He was ousted from control of his own company. Every single bankruptcy restructuring he went through required that someone other than him take over the failing segment of the business.

Aaaaaaand . . . then we flip over to vague, generalized Trumpisms: career politicians, anger anger anger, "He just SEEMS bad", "Don't you understand, we're ANGRY! That's all that MATTERS, damn it!" *yawn* God forbid that we make the decision of who will be President on anything deeper than, "This one's rich and THAT one has been elected to something! AAAAAAuuuuuugghgghhh!" Whatever.
No, he bought massive projects and turned them into lucrative businesses when many others wouldn't tough them. I'm not sure where you are going with the rent and management thing. There's a lot more to real estate.

You have to go back that far for good lawyer presidents? You know Adams got tired of criticisms and created the Sedition Act, right? Against the constitution. Everybody is a bit vague at this point in an election, I'm not sure why Trump bunches your panties so but you cherry pick Trump and give Cruz a pass.

What you are failing on is that the people elect their representatives and that is NOT what's happening with delegates, the people aren't picking their representatives in many cases. The establishments on both sides are selecting them to protect their own interests.
Are you voting for Trump, who constantly says the US is a Democracy?

I am going to vote for Trump. The US is currently in an escalating economic war and who better to lead our country than a super rich businessman? Trump has suffered his failures in the business world but yet survived unethical business practices.

Who better than Trump? How about . . . someone who knows something about national and international economics, rather than someone who just knows how to throw out slogans to gin up crowds? Lots of people are rich; most of them don't know anything about economics outside their own narrow fields, and some of them don't know much more than how to market themselves and hire other people to manage the money. Would you vote for one of the Kardashians based on "But they're RICH!"?

Well, Trump has a college degree in economics which probably qualifies him in the economics category more so than a law degree would. He also has extensive experience wheeling and dealing both domestically and internationally dealing with complex laws, codes, regulations, and taxes which also gives him a leg up on your average politician.

And I say that not as a Trump supporter because I really am not. But I would vote for Trump in a heart beat over Hillary or Bernie. I think he probably has the skill set to get things accomplished more so than Cruz, and he won't be bound to establishment rules as Kasich will likely be.

There is no such thing as a degree in real estate economics. O

What you are failing on is that the people elect their representatives and that is NOT what's happening with delegates, the people aren't picking their representatives in many cases. The establishments on both sides are selecting them to protect their own interests.

I am going to vote for Trump. The US is currently in an escalating economic war and who better to lead our country than a super rich businessman? Trump has suffered his failures in the business world but yet survived unethical business practices.

Who better than Trump? How about . . . someone who knows something about national and international economics, rather than someone who just knows how to throw out slogans to gin up crowds? Lots of people are rich; most of them don't know anything about economics outside their own narrow fields, and some of them don't know much more than how to market themselves and hire other people to manage the money. Would you vote for one of the Kardashians based on "But they're RICH!"?

Well, Trump has a college degree in economics which probably qualifies him in the economics category more so than a law degree would. He also has extensive experience wheeling and dealing both domestically and internationally dealing with complex laws, codes, regulations, and taxes which also gives him a leg up on your average politician.

And I say that not as a Trump supporter because I really am not. But I would vote for Trump in a heart beat over Hillary or Bernie. I think he probably has the skill set to get things accomplished more so than Cruz, and he won't be bound to establishment rules as Kasich will likely be.

There is no such thing as a Bachelor's degree in real estate economics. There are only Bachelor's degrees in economics--I considered getting one myself at one time--and his emphasis was on finance. You can try to make that real estate if you want to, but there is a lot more to it than that. And Donald earned his entry into school by merit, not due to daddy's dollars. I don't condemn anybody for being born into fortunate circumstances, and I admire those who are and who make the most of it. Which I believe Trump has. He has made his living his entire life in the private sector using his own brain, ability, and talent and has a keen sense of how economics work both domestically and internationally. So please, whatever you think of Trump, let's keep it honest. Okay?

I am not taking anything at all away from Ted Cruz's accomplishments either, as they are admirable. Ted Cruz is actually my preferred candidate at this time.

All I am saying that you can't say a man with a good understanding of general economics and a long history of major business efforts both domestically and internationally is somehow less qualified than somebody who has worked for the government his entire life.

Both men are qualified. Ted Cruz is my candidate of choice right now, but I am willing to see his shortcomings--the main ones are a tendency to come across as arrogant and unlikable and, of late, an impression that he is not that honest or ethical in all situations. The only reason he is doing as well as he is right now is that the RNC has pulled out all stops to benefit him to deny Trump the necessary number of delegates to be the nominee outright. And I can't see him winning any states that Romney failed to win in 2012 and maybe some that Romney did win.

It's probably all for nothing anyway though. Once he has served their purpose to stop Trump, look to the RNC to throw Cruz under the bus in favor of one of their more controllable and pliable establishment candidates.

No, he bought massive projects and turned them into lucrative businesses when many others wouldn't tough them. I'm not sure where you are going with the rent and management thing. There's a lot more to real estate.

You have to go back that far for good lawyer presidents? You know Adams got tired of criticisms and created the Sedition Act, right? Against the constitution. Everybody is a bit vague at this point in an election, I'm not sure why Trump bunches your panties so but you cherry pick Trump and give Cruz a pass.

No, I have to go that far back to be sure I'm naming someone you'll recognize and know something about. I don't have a clue what your level of education regarding Presidential history is, and frankly, the more you post lately, the less confident I feel on that score.

He bought massive projects and turned most of them into overextended bankruptcies that someone else had to take over, actually, while he waltzed away and left his investors holding the bag.

As to the rent thing, Forbes and another business magazine (can't remember off the top of my head if it was Business Week or Business Insider) both estimated that the bulk of his wealth and income derive from simply owning and leasing property in NYC. It's not like his wealth and business history hasn't been as exhaustively researched as it's possible to do, given his obsessive secrecy on the details of the subject. The consensus in the business community is that a) he's not as wealthy as he claims, b) a good portion of his assessed wealth is his "brand", ie. the fact that he's marketed himself as a rich, famous playboy so that his name is instantly recognizable when placed on something, and c) what success he's had owes a lot to inheritance, government subsidization, and other people's acumen and hard work. It's very doubtful that he would have been able to accomplish anything if he'd truly been the "self-made man" he likes to project.

I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with any of it - except for sticking his investors with the bill for his failures. I'm saying it doesn't present the picture of savvy, successful businessman who can understand and handle the problems of the nation that he wants to pretend it does. There's really nothing in his history that America needs.

Your brain only saw what it wanted. I said we are a representative democracy. A democracy is two lions and a lamb deciding on dinner.

Historical facts show that James Madison , the father of our constitution (1787) considered and REJECTED democracy as a concept.

While we can vote for senators, representatives and the president - our rights are NOT supposed to be affected by the election of one of those individuals.

Candidate "A" may favor federal government gun control , but gun control will be the law ONLY if the Constitution (1787) is amended. A SCOTUS ruling that WE THE PEOPLE do not have a right to bear arms is NOT the Law.

There is no such thing as a Bachelor's degree in real estate economics. There are only Bachelor's degrees in economics--I considered getting one myself at one time--and his emphasis was on finance. You can try to make that real estate if you want to, but there is a lot more to it than that. And Donald earned his entry into school by merit, not due to daddy's dollars. I don't condemn anybody for being born into fortunate circumstances, and I admire those who are and who make the most of it. Which I believe Trump has. He has made his living his entire life in the private sector using his own brain, ability, and talent and has a keen sense of how economics work both domestically and internationally. So please, whatever you think of Trump, let's keep it honest. Okay?

I am not taking anything at all away from Ted Cruz's accomplishments either, as they are admirable. Ted Cruz is actually my preferred candidate at this time.

All I am saying that you can't say a man with a good understanding of general economics and a long history of major business efforts both domestically and internationally is somehow less qualified than somebody who has worked for the government his entire life.

Both men are qualified. Ted Cruz is my candidate of choice right now, but I am willing to see his shortcomings--the main ones are a tendency to come across as arrogant and unlikable and, of late, an impression that he is not that honest or ethical in all situations. The only reason he is doing as well as he is right now is that the RNC has pulled out all stops to benefit him to deny Trump the necessary number of delegates to be the nominee outright. And I can't see him winning any states that Romney failed to win in 2012 and maybe some that Romney did win.

It's probably all for nothing anyway though. Once he has served their purpose to stop Trump, look to the RNC to throw Cruz under the bus in favor of one of their more controllable and pliable establishment candidates.

Go look at Wharton's website if you don't believe me. All of their undergrad degrees are degrees in economics, but they are all in "specializiations", as in "economics as it applies to THIS field". Which makes sense, since there's a big difference between the economics education you need as, for example, a hospital administrator than you need as a stockbroker or working in politics. Donald Trump specifically chose to attend the Wharton School because they were one of the few colleges at that time to offer a specialization in real estate, and he was preparing for a future of taking over Daddy's company. It's in his official bio.

I have no problem with him inheriting his father's wealth. Good for him and his father. God bless the United States, where people can aspire to work hard and make a better life for their children than they had. I'm just saying it doesn't translate into anything particularly useful in a President. The Kardashian sisters are fabulously wealthy heiresses, too, and make a bunch of money off of marketing themselves, and good for them if they can do it. But I wouldn't vote for them, or think that being rich automatically makes them suited to address the national economy, or know jack shit about international trade.

Donald Trump ain't exactly Warren Buffett here, and I don't agree with Buffett's political positions, either, just for the record. It's pretty obvious that Trump's major business acumen is in the area of marketing, with himself as the product being hyped.

Go look at Wharton's website if you don't believe me. All of their undergrad degrees are degrees in economics, but they are all in "specializiations", as in "economics as it applies to THIS field". Which makes sense, since there's a big difference between the economics education you need as, for example, a hospital administrator than you need as a stockbroker or working in politics. Donald Trump specifically chose to attend the Wharton School because they were one of the few colleges at that time to offer a specialization in real estate, and he was preparing for a future of taking over Daddy's company. It's in his official bio.

I have no problem with him inheriting his father's wealth. Good for him and his father. God bless the United States, where people can aspire to work hard and make a better life for their children than they had. I'm just saying it doesn't translate into anything particularly useful in a President. The Kardashian sisters are fabulously wealthy heiresses, too, and make a bunch of money off of marketing themselves, and good for them if they can do it. But I wouldn't vote for them, or think that being rich automatically makes them suited to address the national economy, or know jack shit about international trade.

Donald Trump ain't exactly Warren Buffett here, and I don't agree with Buffett's political positions, either, just for the record. It's pretty obvious that Trump's major business acumen is in the area of marketing, with himself as the product being hyped.

I get it. You don't like Trump. But I really think you're missing the point I'm making entirely.

You can argue until the cows come home that Ted Cruz is the better candidate, but so far he is not the candidate the electorate has preferred. You can argue until the cows come home that Donald Trump is unqualified, but millions of people are disagreeing with you including me.

Again I am not a Trump supporter but so far a strong plurality of voters have preferred Trump to any other candidate. And IMO the RNC doesn't want Trump or Cruz. They are exploiting Cruz to stop Trump but they aren't going to allow Cruz to have the nomination either if they can help it. A whole bunch of us better start acknowledging that and deciding what, if anything, we intend to do about it.

Last edited:

I get it. You don't like Trump. But I really think you're missing the point I'm making entirely.

You can argue until the cows come home that Ted Cruz is the better candidate, but so far he is not the candidate the electorate has preferred. You can argue until the cows come home that Donald Trump is unqualified, but millions of people are disagreeing with you including me.

Again I am not a Trump supporter but so far a strong plurality of voters have preferred Trump to any other candidate. And IMO the RNC doesn't want Trump or Cruz. They are exploiting Cruz to stop Trump but they aren't going to allow Cruz to have the nomination either if they can help it. A whole bunch of us better start acknowledging that and deciding what, if anything, we intend to do about it.

I am so over this whole "dismissing everything as 'You don't like Trump'" riff. And the hypocrisy of actively avoiding even hearing what I said and then turning around and accusing ME of missing the point is just breathtaking.

Trump is no more "the candidate the electorate has preferred" than Cruz is, completely aside from the fact that primaries aren't Elections, anyway. That's rather the point of what's going on, now isn't it: the fact that neither of them is the clear winner.

So is your new point that because people disagree - or flat-out refuse to ever hear or acknowledge anything they MIGHT disagree with - that means that Trump's flaws should never be mentioned at all? I'll agree that it's probably a waste of time trying to tell the truth to people who are determined not to believe it, not to hear it, and not to give a shit about it because it doesn't fit their chosen narrative. Doesn't mean it shouldn't still be said.

I'm very glad you've decided, sans evidence, that the RNC is pre-emptively guilty and screw that whole "wait until they commit the crime" thing; let's just skip right to screeching our brains out in uncontrolled rage over what you BELIEVE they're going to do.

Myself, I'll worry about being furious over the RNC substituting a white knight when I see some evidence beyond a bunch of pundits and Internet twerps trying to get ahead of the plot twists.

I am so over this whole "dismissing everything as 'You don't like Trump'" riff. And the hypocrisy of actively avoiding even hearing what I said and then turning around and accusing ME of missing the point is just breathtaking.

Trump is no more "the candidate the electorate has preferred" than Cruz is, completely aside from the fact that primaries aren't Elections, anyway. That's rather the point of what's going on, now isn't it: the fact that neither of them is the clear winner.

So is your new point that because people disagree - or flat-out refuse to ever hear or acknowledge anything they MIGHT disagree with - that means that Trump's flaws should never be mentioned at all? I'll agree that it's probably a waste of time trying to tell the truth to people who are determined not to believe it, not to hear it, and not to give a shit about it because it doesn't fit their chosen narrative. Doesn't mean it shouldn't still be said.

I'm very glad you've decided, sans evidence, that the RNC is pre-emptively guilty and screw that whole "wait until they commit the crime" thing; let's just skip right to screeching our brains out in uncontrolled rage over what you BELIEVE they're going to do.

Myself, I'll worry about being furious over the RNC substituting a white knight when I see some evidence beyond a bunch of pundits and Internet twerps trying to get ahead of the plot twists.

Have a nice day Cecile.

Forum List

Back