Cookbooks

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
What are your favorite cookbooks? I have a couple where there is only one good recipe in the whole dang thing and others that have multiple recipes that I use. So, what do you got that has the best recipes?

I had my cookbooks on top of the cabinets. I had to use a stepladder to reach them or get my son to get one down for me. So, I now have bookshelves in the kitchen and it's a whole different world. I can see them.

To many to list...
Most involve Cajun,Tex Mex and Italian.

What do you have for Cajun? The last real good Cajun cookbook I had was Justin Wilson.

Our favorite is Brennan's of Houston by Chef Carl Walker and our second is Cajun Men Cook which was written by Beaver club,Lafayette Louisiana.

We also have many Cajun/Creole recipes from friends and acquaintances from LA.

My favorite is James Baird's American Cookery. It's thick and full of recipes for just about everything you can think of. He makes comments about some of the recipes or categories but doesn't go on and on. The instructions are straight forward. It's not fancy food, it's things I actually make and serve.

Baird was fat. I only trust fat chefs. LOL

My favorite is James Baird's American Cookery. It's thick and full of recipes for just about everything you can think of. He makes comments about some of the recipes or categories but doesn't go on and on. The instructions are straight forward. It's not fancy food, it's things I actually make and serve.

What is the style?

What is the style?
American. There's some regional differences in method and ingredients. What I like best is it's old fashioned food. The preparation is uncomplicated and the presentation is unpretentious.

What is the style?
American. There's some regional differences in method and ingredients. What I like best is it's old fashioned food. The preparation is uncomplicated and the presentation is unpretentious.

What would you recommend I cook out of that book?

I try to do a Sunday dinner. However, I often work on weekends as well so by the time Sunday actually rolls around I am all about unpretentious. I am two steps away from ordering that book. Could you recommend recipes from it?

Ron Paul Family Cookbook

a_560x740.jpg

What is the style?

I try to do a Sunday dinner. However, I often work on weekends as well so by the time Sunday actually rolls around I am all about unpretentious. I am two steps away from ordering that book. Could you recommend recipes from it?
There are so many categories, I don't know where to start. You need a quick cake because people are coming over? There's a bunch of choices. You just bought 3 pounds of ground beef? Bunch of choices. I was looking for more egg recipes because my ducks are good layers. Bunch of choices!

If you order it, just be sure you get the old addition, published 1972. Somebody went and "updated" it later during those crazed years when some people decided lard was a sure road to death and just looking at white sugar was fatal.

What is the style?

There are so many categories, I don't know where to start. You need a quick cake because people are coming over? There's a bunch of choices. You just bought 3 pounds of ground beef? Bunch of choices. I was looking for more egg recipes because my ducks are good layers. Bunch of choices!

If you order it, just be sure you get the old addition, published 1972. Somebody went and "updated" it later during those crazed years when some people decided lard was a sure road to death and just looking at white sugar was fatal.

Thank you so much!

What is the style?

Thank you so much!
My pleasure!

I have a small collection of cookbooks of different types, so it depends on what sounds good or someone's requested.

these I use the most.....

older (60's/70's) BHG for stick to yer ribs comfort foods
Campbell Soup books for fast & easy throw togethers
If I'm looking for something new & different......google it and if that doesn't work, my own imagination (some of this, a little of that and a dab of something else)

These two books opened up a whole new world for me.
I highly recommend them.

There's a Demi Glace in this one that I've been wanting to make just to see if I can pull it off.
It's a very involved recipe that takes a couple days to make.
The ingredients,recipe and instructions are four and a half pages long.
2d48cde7-052b-4ee3-8b58-9d93f04b0881_1.9280a273385433afddf5f31f5ba045e6.jpeg

41rHp4vRAAL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I stopped buying cook books when I found this

51QFUVeVM4L._AC_US218_.jpg

It's just a book of lists that tells you what foods, spices, flavors go together

I have gotta get me one of those.....
It's a great resource

Just look up your main dish protein and pick 3 spices and other foods that go with and some complimentary flavors for those and it's hard not to make a grate dish

`
Some of the women up here taught me how to bake bread. I have three delicious recipes (Onion, Cheese and Chicken Little) but refuse to do it all by hand. So I bought a dough kneading machine.

Forum List

Back