Cop finally charged for shooting man with hands up.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
This was the political cartoon that summarized the events in North Miami last year. It is actually accurate.

IMG_0474.JPG
July of last year. I know. So long ago that many people have forgotten. Well last year a cop shot a man who was literally laying on the ground with his hands up. Literally. The cop who shot the man who was literally laying on the ground with his hands up was finally charged with attempted manslaughter. Predictable reactions follow.

North Miami police officer charged in July 2016 shooting of caretaker of man with autism

The cop in question has been on administrative leave since he shot the man who was literally laying on the ground with his hands up. I know, I keep harping on the literally. But if you want to talk about a bad shooting by police there can be no better example than a cop who shoots the guy laying on the ground with his hands up in broad daylight.

The Union says these charges are the States Attorney putting all police on notice.

Really? You think that the other cops might have been confused about how wrong it was to shoot a man laying on the street with his hands up? If the other cops thought this was a grey area then I hope they are on notice that this is unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

What is harder to understand is why it took eight months to decide that shooting a man who is literally laying on the ground with his hands up is not justified.

I am starting to wonder if perhaps I've been using the word "literally" incorrectly all my life.

The police claim that these charges will make the cops job harder. It may cause them to hesitate when a similar situation occurs. All I can say is good. You are supposed to hesitate when an unarmed man is laying in the street with his hands up. If you need it explained to you. Don't shoot the man laying in the street with his fucking hands up. Then again, if you need it explained to you then you are in the wrong line of work. You should have stayed with "Do you want an apple pie with this?".

Yes, that is an astonishingly long time to file charges in an absolute no brainer of a crime. What a stupid cop. And what's worse is the police department that hired this fool.

• Banned
Yes, that is an astonishingly long time to file charges in an absolute no brainer of a crime. What a stupid cop. And what's worse is the police department that hired this fool.

If you remember the event and aftermath it was infuriating. First they said that the cop took the shots intentionally to try and subdue the man with the suspected weapon. In that case he missed his target by more than six feet from a range of 150 yards with a rifle capable of three inch groups at two hundred yards.

Then it was an accidental shooting. The cop accidentally fired the three rounds. In that case he was aimed at the man laying on the ground with his hands up instead of the possibly armed man. For that to be the reason he was set for automatic fire and aimed at the wrong target with his finger on the trigger. Every safety rule of firearms was utterly ignored.

Every excuse the cops threw out there made it worse. I think that is why they finally charged him. The same States Attorney ruled that torturing a man to death in prison was not a crime. Good news. It turns out torture is completely legal in Florida.

There the excuse was they could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the hot water which was unable to be adjusted or stopped by the victim was the main reason he died. It was apparently reasonable to the average man that a guy locked in a shower under scalding hot water for two hours would just die because. Um. Gods will or something.

I get the feeling that the States Attorney tried to weasel out of charging the cop and couldn't.

If you remember the event and aftermath it was infuriating. First they said that the cop took the shots intentionally to try and subdue the man with the suspected weapon. In that case he missed his target by more than six feet from a range of 150 yards with a rifle capable of three inch groups at two hundred yards.

Then it was an accidental shooting. The cop accidentally fired the three rounds. In that case he was aimed at the man laying on the ground with his hands up instead of the possibly armed man. For that to be the reason he was set for automatic fire and aimed at the wrong target with his finger on the trigger. Every safety rule of firearms was utterly ignored.

Every excuse the cops threw out there made it worse. I think that is why they finally charged him. The same States Attorney ruled that torturing a man to death in prison was not a crime. Good news. It turns out torture is completely legal in Florida.

There the excuse was they could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the hot water which was unable to be adjusted or stopped by the victim was the main reason he died. It was apparently reasonable to the average man that a guy locked in a shower under scalding hot water for two hours would just die because. Um. Gods will or something.

I get the feeling that the States Attorney tried to weasel out of charging the cop and couldn't.

I remember it quite well.. and I agree with you, that AG is a scumbag who needs to be at the least impeached, and I would investigate them to see what sort of skeletons are hidden in their closet.

Just imagine if there had been no video.

• Banned

Just imagine if there had been no video.

I don't have to. John Geer. Two years of "investigation" later they finally charged the cop. The investigation was stalled by the police who refused to give the information they had to the Prosecutor's office.

Forum List

Back