Cop refuses to work Gay Pride parade

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Oh we can't have this ! Time to string this hate filled cop up and display his body at the town square !

Cop refuses to work at gay pride parade in Utah

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Salt Lake City police officer has been placed on leave after refusing an assignment to work at a gay pride parade.

The officer was among about 30 officers assigned to provide traffic control and security for the annual Utah Pride Parade on Sunday in Salt Lake City, said department spokeswoman Lara Jones.

"We don't tolerate bias and bigotry in the department, and assignments are assignments ... To allow personal opinion to enter into whether an officer will take a post is not something that can be tolerated in a police department," Jones told KSL.

She declined comment on the officer's reason for refusing the assignment.

The officer, whose name was not released, is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation.

Utah Pride Center spokeswoman Deann Armes said her group is pleased with the department's stance and thinks officers should undergo sensitivity training before joining the force.

"Our goal is to make sure that police training and certification includes policies and oaths to ensure that all officers are committed to providing equal service and treatment of all citizens. Clearly, bigotry is alive and well," Armes said in a statement.

Police Chief Chris Burbank has marched in the parade in the past, and three deputy chiefs will march Sunday while he is out of town.

The department also will have a community outreach and recruitment booth at the pride festival, Jones said, and participates in a standing committee to address public safety issues relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents.

"We have gay men and women that serve in the police department," Jones told The Salt Lake Tribune. "One officer's situation does not reflect the vast majority of officers that work in the Salt Lake City Police Department and certainly not Chief Burbank's."

Cop refuses to work at gay pride parade in Utah

He has an assignment - you cannot pick and choose your jobs when you are a cop.

No, but they say they don't tolerate 'bias and bigotry' yet show little regard for his viewpoints.

Lets theorize.

Let's say a bunch of straight people did a parade like that. The officer is gay. He says "I refuse to do it." Just what would happen then? He would most likely be given another assignment.

I guarantee people here would admonish the department for forcing this gay officer to work at a straight pride parade. Or, conversely people would be applauding them for showing acceptance.

In other words, they can't say they are against bias and bigotry. Essentially bigotry is a hostile and indifferent attitude to those who hold an opposing viewpoint. Bias is when and only when the shoe is on the other foot and you grant this proverbial gay officer a reprieve.

Last edited:

No, but they say they don't tolerate 'bias and bigotry' yet show little regard for his viewpoints.

Lets theorize.

Let's say a bunch of straight people did a parade like that. The officer is gay. He says "I refuse to do it." Just what would happen then? He would most likely be given another assignment.

I guarantee people here would admonish the department for forcing this gay officer to work at a straight pride parade. Or, conversely people would be applauding them for showing acceptance.

In other words, they can't say they are against bias and bigotry. Essentially bigotry is a hostile and indifferent attitude to those who hold an opposing viewpoint. Bias is when and only when the shoe is on the other foot and you grant this proverbial gay officer a reprieve.

What is a "straight pride" parade? Why wouldn't gay cops want to work it?

Your hypothetical doesn't make any sense.

Lets theorize.

I never pegged you as one to play the "you don't make sense" card.

What are straight pride parades? The opposite of gay pride parades. Straight people being proud of what they are, in the same manner gays do in their parades, well in at least my scenario.

And your query sums up my point. Why wouldn't they want to work it? For the same reason the straight cop didn't want to work the gay pride parade. I grant you the department would have been more lenient to the gay cop if the situation were reversed.

Just by not allowing him to act on his views... aren't they being the ones who are "biased and bigoted"?

That doesn't make any sense.

Cops don't get to chose which orders they follow and which they don't. Police don't get to "act on their views" while they're on the job.

Then why do we have a police department showing indifference to someone else's point of view? Only such a reaction would be elicited from those who held the opposite point of view. Essentially, the usage of the words "bigoted" or "biased" means they responded via their worldview, and not as a police department.

Last edited:

Lets theorize.

What are straight pride parades? The opposite of gay pride parades. Straight people being proud of what they are, in the same manner gays do in their parades, well in at least my scenario.

And your query sums up my point. Why wouldn't they want to work it? For the same reason the straight cop didn't want to work the gay pride parade. I grant you the department would have been more lenient to the gay cop if the situation were reversed.

I'm not "playing" a card. I'm stating the fact that to me, your hypothetical doesn't makes sense.

Gay people, in general, don't disapprove of or hate straight people. There's no reason why a gay cop would give a shit about a "straight pride" parade.

Just by not allowing him to act on his views... aren't they being the ones who are "biased and bigoted"?

Cops don't get to chose which orders they follow and which they don't. Police don't get to "act on their views" while they're on the job.

Then why do we have a police department showing indifference to someone else's point of view? Only such a reaction would be elicited from those who held the opposite point of view. Essentially, the usage of the words "bigoted" or "biased" means they responded via their worldview, and not as a police department.

Because the police department follows a command structure.

The police bosses aren't expected to care about other people's points of view, any more than a General in the Army cares about a private's personal feelings.

So, if there was a parade that celebrated men fucking their wives in the ass while whipping them -- consensually, of course -- and a female cop refused to work that parade would there be an issue?

Yeah, although I doubt you'll get many people interested in this parade of yours. Sounds like a real niche population.

I'm not "playing" a card. I'm stating the fact that to me, your hypothetical doesn't makes sense.

Gay people, in general, don't disapprove of or hate straight people. There's no reason why a gay cop would give a shit about a "straight pride" parade.

So, you make an argument based on presumption, then. With all due respect, I run into a lot of people who instead of making cogent points, simply reply with "your argument makes no sense."

No, it won't make sense to you, for such a scenario to you is impossible to fathom on it's own, it makes no sense for anyone to force a gay person to do anything.

The police bosses aren't expected to care about other people's points of view, any more than a General in the Army cares about a private's personal feelings.

That is a deflection.

A 'command structure' isn't supposed to have a point of view one way or another. This is according to you. But what I read was a department calling an officer 'bigoted' and 'biased.' To me that indicates the department has a point of view. I detect that one officer is to be held to his objectivity, while the department strays from its own.

So, you make an argument based on presumption, then. With all due respect, I run into a lot of people who instead of making cogent points, simply reply with "your argument makes no sense."

No, it won't make sense to you, for such a scenario to you is impossible to fathom on it's own, it makes no sense for anyone to force a gay person to do anything.

This post doesn't make any sense, either.

First of all, it's pretty silly to claim that I'm not making cogent points while ignoring the points that I did make.

Secondly, I have absolutely no idea what your second point means. What is it exactly that is impossible for me to fathom?

That is a deflection.

A 'command structure' isn't supposed to have a point of view one way or another. This is according to you.

I didn't say anything close to that, so I don't know why you think that's "according to me".

But what I read was a department calling an officer 'bigoted' and 'biased.' To me that indicates the department has a point of view. I detect that one officer is to be held to his objectivity, while the department strays from its own.

Of course the department has a point of view. Everything has a point of view. In this case, the police department's point of view is the only one that matters - because they're the bosses.

First of all, it's pretty silly to claim that I'm not making cogent points while ignoring the points that I did make.

Secondly, I have absolutely no idea what your second point means. What is it exactly that is impossible for me to fathom?

I wasn't necessarily referring to you. There are others who use a similar pattern here, and your "you make no sense" retort raised a lot of red flags.

I'll try one last time. You cannot fathom the possibility of a homosexual police officer being forced to work a parade that goes against what he or she is. In this hyperpartisan society, such an action would bring about endless litigation, resignations and a litany of cries from LGBT organizations to protest it.

My question(s) to you are simply this:

If in fact the officer were gay, and he/she refused the assignment to work this 'straight pride' parade. What would be your reaction to that officer? Would you say the same thing you are saying now? That 'orders are orders'? Simply curious.

If they can't respect his beliefs, they shouldn't expect any in return for the beliefs that they themselves have.

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I wasn't necessarily referring to you. There are others who use a similar pattern here, and your "you make no sense" retort raised a lot of red flags.

I'll try one last time. You cannot fathom the possibility of a homosexual police officer being forced to work a parade that goes against what he or she is. In this hyperpartisan society, such an action would bring about endless litigation, resignations and a litany of cries from LGBT organizations to protest it.

Any gay police officer, if they want to keep their jobs, will follow whatever assignments they receive. What I can't "fathom" is why a homosexual police officer wouldn't want to work at a "straight pride" parade. It simply doesn't make any sense.

My question(s) to you are simply this:

If in fact the officer were gay, and he/she refused the assignment to work this 'straight pride' parade. What would be your reaction to that officer? Would you say the same thing you are saying now? That 'orders are orders'? Simply curious.

Yes.

Forum List

Back