Cop refuses to work Gay Pride parade

He has an assignment - you cannot pick and choose your jobs when you are a cop.

No, but they say they don't tolerate 'bias and bigotry' yet show little regard for his viewpoints.

Lets theorize.

Let's say a bunch of straight people did a parade like that. The officer is gay. He says "I refuse to do it." Just what would happen then? He would most likely be given another assignment.

I guarantee people here would admonish the department for forcing this gay officer to work at a straight pride parade. Or, conversely people would be applauding them for showing acceptance.

In other words, they can't say they are against bias and bigotry. Essentially bigotry is a hostile and indifferent attitude to those who hold an opposing viewpoint. Bias is when and only when the shoe is on the other foot and you grant this proverbial gay officer a reprieve.

What is a "straight pride" parade? Why wouldn't gay cops want to work it?

Your hypothetical doesn't make any sense.

Been to Mardi Gras?

The police officer is there to preform a duty, so he is given his orders and he obeys, that is his job. Police Officers are there to up hold the laws.

The police department has every right to act upon insubordination.

What the gay parade group thinks is irrelevant.

Like the cop who refused to work the MLK Jr. parade? And the one who refused to work the St. Patrick's Day parade?
You are comparing a parade celebrating sexual perversity to a peaceful civil rights march? WTF?
I can't blame the cop. First of all, it's sick to celebrate your sexual diversity in a parade. It's a crime it's allowed to even happen. The gays in the parades are often very flamboyant and sexually crude, seeing a few seconds on TV is too much for me. To work it would mean seeing a lot of things that cannot be unseen. It's just further evidence of a depraved society getting worse.

How many gay pride parades have you been to?
None and it's going to stay that way. It does get covered on the news though, which is apparently news to you. Maybe you should try to pry the focus off your genitals for a few minutes since you seem to know nothing besides pro-gay propaganda.

I've been to several gay pride parades in NYC, San Francisco, Long Beach, San Diego, Rochester......how many have you been to?

They are mostly social groups, clubs, churches, help organizations, businesses, politicians, etc. now. There are a few bars that have floats that have dancers and loud music...and...surprise surprise, that's all the anti-gay people focus on.

So I ask again...how many gay pride parades have you been to and actually seen first hand?

Because the police department follows a command structure.
This.

I can't believe anyone is supporting a guy who basically refused to follow direction from his superiors. It really has nothing to do with what the parade was about, it was about doing your job.

He's being sent to reeducation camp. There is no place for diversity of thought.

The cop should be fired before he decides he doesn't want to respond to a hold up at a gay club, or respond to a gay person being beaten, etc.

HTML:
Oh we can't have this ! Time to string this hate filled cop up and display his body at the town square !

Cop refuses to work at gay pride parade in Utah

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Salt Lake City police officer has been placed on leave after refusing an assignment to work at a gay pride parade.

The officer was among about 30 officers assigned to provide traffic control and security for the annual Utah Pride Parade on Sunday in Salt Lake City, said department spokeswoman Lara Jones.

"We don't tolerate bias and bigotry in the department, and assignments are assignments ... To allow personal opinion to enter into whether an officer will take a post is not something that can be tolerated in a police department," Jones told KSL.

She declined comment on the officer's reason for refusing the assignment.

The officer, whose name was not released, is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation.

Utah Pride Center spokeswoman Deann Armes said her group is pleased with the department's stance and thinks officers should undergo sensitivity training before joining the force.

"Our goal is to make sure that police training and certification includes policies and oaths to ensure that all officers are committed to providing equal service and treatment of all citizens. Clearly, bigotry is alive and well," Armes said in a statement.

Police Chief Chris Burbank has marched in the parade in the past, and three deputy chiefs will march Sunday while he is out of town.

The department also will have a community outreach and recruitment booth at the pride festival, Jones said, and participates in a standing committee to address public safety issues relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents.

"We have gay men and women that serve in the police department," Jones told The Salt Lake Tribune. "One officer's situation does not reflect the vast majority of officers that work in the Salt Lake City Police Department and certainly not Chief Burbank's."

Cop refuses to work at gay pride parade in Utah

Only. On. Yahoo.

He should be suspended for failure to follow lawful orders, he can be as biased as he wishes, but it is a lawful assignment(.)

I can't blame the cop. First of all, it's sick to celebrate your sexual diversity in a parade. It's a crime it's allowed to even happen. The gays in the parades are often very flamboyant and sexually crude, seeing a few seconds on TV is too much for me. To work it would mean seeing a lot of things that cannot be unseen. It's just further evidence of a depraved society getting worse.

The cops are not there to watch the parade. They are there for crowd control. They should be watching the crowd, not the parade.
Right. They aren't going to see any peacocks strutting around. Depending on the union he may be clear. If he was ordered to take out the trash he wouldn't have to obey either.

Ms. Jones is biased, and she apparently has no consideration for the officer's religious beliefs, and the first amendment. She is the exception to the rule. Last year some officers were excused from a gay parade in Columbia South Carolina (Sept 28, 2013), and rightfully so, as officers should not be required to abandon their faith because of their job.

In order to avoid future conflict, officers should be requested on a voluntary basis for these types of events.

If there are enough officers, he might be excused; Department rules, PREVIOUSLY establised, should govern. If his faith made him refuse to work on any given day, that should have been established when he was hired. He may not not to work the day of the Christmas parade as he is atheist, would that be AOK?

Ms. Jones is biased, and she apparently has no consideration for the officer's religious beliefs, and the first amendment. She is the exception to the rule. Last year some officers were excused from a gay parade in Columbia South Carolina (Sept 28, 2013), and rightfully so, as officers should not be required to abandon their faith because of their job.

In order to avoid future conflict, officers should be requested on a voluntary basis for these types of events.

Would it be ok for someone doing public service work to discriminate who's life they saved? For example, a cop arrives on the scene where a victim needs mouth to mouth resuscitation. If the individual is known to the cop to be a homosexual, and the cop has religious beliefs that won't allow him to save the victim, what then? Call for backup?
The police officer in question can save anyone's life, and he can serve and protect anyone, without restriction. What he can't do is attend a gay parade or any other type of gay themed event as it is in conflict with his faith. Religious accommodation rules are there for this very reason, so the officer would not be forced to abandon his faith by attending a gay parade.

If there are enough officers, he might be excused; Department rules, PREVIOUSLY establised, should govern. If his faith made him refuse to work on any given day, that should have been established when he was hired. He may not not to work the day of the Christmas parade as he is atheist, would that be AOK?
Absolutely. An atheist police officer should be exempt from working at the Christmas parade. The same way a practicing Christian officer should be exempt from working gay parades or gay weddings, as the case may be. Public accommodation rules allow for this.

The cops are not there to watch the parade. They are there for crowd control. They should be watching the crowd, not the parade.
Right. They aren't going to see any peacocks strutting around. Depending on the union he may be clear. If he was ordered to take out the trash he wouldn't have to obey either.

You clearly do not understand employment law or police contracts in Utah.

Would it be ok for someone doing public service work to discriminate who's life they saved? For example, a cop arrives on the scene where a victim needs mouth to mouth resuscitation. If the individual is known to the cop to be a homosexual, and the cop has religious beliefs that won't allow him to save the victim, what then? Call for backup?
The police officer in question can save anyone's life, and he can serve and protect anyone, without restriction. What he can't do is attend a gay parade or any other type of gay themed event as it is in conflict with his faith. Religious accommodation rules are there for this very reason, so the officer would not be forced to abandon his faith by attending a gay parade.

If all that has been worked out before hand, sure.

It wasn't. he worked the parade last year.

If all that has been worked out before hand, sure.

It wasn't. he worked the parade last year.

If so, Department regulations still govern. Doing his job at the parade isn't "attending". Should his faith prohibit the use of alcohol, may he refuse to protect bars & liquor stores?

Last edited:
I never pegged you as one to play the "you don't make sense" card.

What are straight pride parades? The opposite of gay pride parades. Straight people being proud of what they are, in the same manner gays do in their parades, well in at least my scenario.

And your query sums up my point. Why wouldn't they want to work it? For the same reason the straight cop didn't want to work the gay pride parade. I grant you the department would have been more lenient to the gay cop if the situation were reversed.

I'm not "playing" a card. I'm stating the fact that to me, your hypothetical doesn't makes sense.

Gay people, in general, don't disapprove of or hate straight people. There's no reason why a gay cop would give a shit about a "straight pride" parade.

So, you make an argument based on presumption, then. With all due respect, I run into a lot of people who instead of making cogent points, simply reply with "your argument makes no sense."
do you think that might have something to do with you?
No, it won't make sense to you, for such a scenario to you is impossible to fathom on it's own, it makes no sense for anyone to force a gay person to do anything.
if this will make you feel better, i'm sure that if there were a straight pride parade and a gay cop were assigned to work at it and he refused he'd be in trouble too.

a cop's personal opinions should not interfere with their duty to ensure public safety

TK has always believed that his opinion is, per se, factual evidence.

This police officer does not have a constitutional right to be LEO and decide what hours he will and won't work.

I'm not "playing" a card. I'm stating the fact that to me, your hypothetical doesn't makes sense.

Gay people, in general, don't disapprove of or hate straight people. There's no reason why a gay cop would give a shit about a "straight pride" parade.

So, you make an argument based on presumption, then. With all due respect, I run into a lot of people who instead of making cogent points, simply reply with "your argument makes no sense."
do you think that might have something to do with you?
No, it won't make sense to you, for such a scenario to you is impossible to fathom on it's own, it makes no sense for anyone to force a gay person to do anything.
if this will make you feel better, i'm sure that if there were a straight pride parade and a gay cop were assigned to work at it and he refused he'd be in trouble too.

a cop's personal opinions should not interfere with their duty to ensure public safety

Some seem to believe an atheist can refuse to serve at Easter &, Christmas parades; Native Americans should be allowed to refuse to protect Thanksgiving Day events, Columbus Day celebrations.......gonna need LARGE police forces all over the nation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back