Cops Resign After Missouri Town Elects First Black Female Mayor

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
r-PARMA-MO-large.jpg

Most of the police force and several officials resigned after the small town of Parma, Missouri elected its first African American woman as mayor, reported KFVS.

Tyrus Byrd, a former city clerk, was officially sworn in as mayor on Tuesday after beating incumbent Randall Ramsey. Ramsey had served as mayor of Parma for 37 years under two terms.

The outgoing mayor said five of the city's six police officers submitted their resignation, citing "safety concerns." Parma's city attorney, clerk and water treatment supervisor also quit.

At her swearing in ceremony, Byrd said that she is looking to getting things in order for the city.

Police Officials Resign After Small Missouri Town Elects First Black Female Mayor

Officers, city officials resign after new mayor elected - KFVS12 News

Do they believe the new mayor is incompetent - or were the resignees all white? I don't know...

Well at least she gets to hire the people she wants for the jobs, without having to sort through the carry overs.

Something stinks about this, but without more information you can't tell where the smell is coming from.

There could also be a non-racial/sexist reason they are leaving. Considering the long term the previous mayor was around, who knows what sort of shady goings on were allowed by him with these officials. It could me less "I hate black women" and more, "oh shit the new person is going to figure out all the graft we had going on"

Then again it could be they are racist and/or sexist assholes, or she is known to be incompetent.

Again, more information is needed.

They had 6 police officers? Where I am right now I bet there are 6 police officers within a 5 minute walking radius. I can't imagine just 6 for a whole town.

r-PARMA-MO-large.jpg

Most of the police force and several officials resigned after the small town of Parma, Missouri elected its first African American woman as mayor, reported KFVS.

Tyrus Byrd, a former city clerk, was officially sworn in as mayor on Tuesday after beating incumbent Randall Ramsey. Ramsey had served as mayor of Parma for 37 years under two terms.

The outgoing mayor said five of the city's six police officers submitted their resignation, citing "safety concerns." Parma's city attorney, clerk and water treatment supervisor also quit.

At her swearing in ceremony, Byrd said that she is looking to getting things in order for the city.

Police Officials Resign After Small Missouri Town Elects First Black Female Mayor

Do they believe the new mayor is incompetent - or were the resignees all white? I don't know...
Let me guess.most of that police force that resigned were white boys?

Good riddance. Hopefully other departments will avoid these troublemakers as well.

r-PARMA-MO-large.jpg

Would wanna know what she ran on before making hay out of this. Could run promising the slash city employee pay or pensions for example in which case mass resignations makes sense.

Most likely they were loyal to the ex-mayor. In a lot of towns all the mayor does is run the police. A new person wins out over a 37 year mayor it is bound to cause some hard feelings, regardless of the color of the person.

They had 6 police officers? Where I am right now I bet there are 6 police officers within a 5 minute walking radius. I can't imagine just 6 for a whole town.

It's a town of 740 people, so 6 police officers actually seems excessive.

I suppose that's a problem with small incorporated towns. County sheriffs traditionally don't patrol incorporated areas, so such areas need their own police force. But you can't really run a police department with just 2 officers.

It's a town of 740 people, so 6 police officers actually seems excessive.

I suppose that's a problem with small incorporated towns. County sheriffs traditionally don't patrol incorporated areas, so such areas need their own police force. But you can't really run a police department with just 2 officers.

Believe it or not 6 is not excessive. In all likelihood they are all part timers which is what most small communities do. To fill a 24/7 schedule it actually takes about 10 part timers.

the police in these types of towns do almost nothing to stop crime, except maybe speeding.

Forum List

Back