Could You?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Every day I see kids doing amazing work under terribly challenging circumstances. I often think that I could never have done what so many of my students do when I was in high school.

How many of you think you could do academic work in a second language, sometimes in a new country and culture? How many of you could have excelled in high school while working two full time jobs and paying all your own bills, including rent, food and utilities?

How many of you would have even bothered to try if you had to pass through two or more violent gang territories to and from school?

How many of you would do high level academic work while sleep deprived, suffering from hunger, and often dealing with traumatic home conditions (if you had a home)?

I am humbled and impressed at what so many of my students manage to accomplish despite all this.

The last one that list describes my life during my school years. One of the best moments of my life is making it to high school graduation and walking across the stage in my cap and gown and getting my diploma.

Every day I see kids doing amazing work under terribly challenging circumstances. I often think that I could never have done what so many of my students do when I was in high school.

How many of you think you could do academic work in a second language, sometimes in a new country and culture? How many of you could have excelled in high school while working two full time jobs and paying all your own bills, including rent, food and utilities?

How many of you would have even bothered to try if you had to pass through two or more violent gang territories to and from school?

How many of you would do high level academic work while sleep deprived, suffering from hunger, and often dealing with traumatic home conditions (if you had a home)?

I am humbled and impressed at what so many of my students manage to accomplish despite all this.
Are you consciously trying to make two separate statements for topics of discussion?

1. I am humbled and impressed at what so many of my students manage to accomplish despite all this.

Students are trying very hard to succeed?

2. How many of you would do high level academic work while sleep deprived, suffering from hunger, and often dealing with traumatic home conditions (if you had a home)?

America doesn't provide the basics in which young people can succeed!

Would you care to discuss either?

Last edited:
The last one that list describes my life during my school years. One of the best moments of my life is making it to high school graduation and walking across the stage in my cap and gown and getting my diploma.
A few years back a girl graduated after enduring nearly unimaginable circumstances for many, many years. The standing ovation she received was thunderous and prolonged. Rightly so.

There are many. You forgot about weekends. Don't get too hung up on it. Don't miss the point if you don't need to.
There is no point, when the story is not true.
There are no high school kids working 2 full time jobs living in their own apartment and still in school full time.
None.
That is against child labor laws for one.
It is also illegal to rent an apartment to an underage child.
Many-many kids have worked part-time jobs and went to high school. I sure did, so did my two kids.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you're probably full of shit. If a high schooler is working two full time jobs while paying their own bills; you as a teacher should have already contacted Child Protective Services. Or... The student is such a savant that they are well past 18, and still in high school. Which doesn't support the idea that they excel academically.

There is no point, when the story is not true.
There are no high school kids working 2 full time jobs living in their own apartment and still in school full time.
None.
That is against child labor laws for one.
It is also illegal to rent an apartment to an underage child.
Many-many kids have worked part-time jobs and went to high school. I sure did, so did my two kids.

Not every student in the country lives in the same kind of suburb you may have grown up in. There is more going on in many places than you might be able to believe. What I have said is true. I see it every day with my own two eyes and hear from my students with my own two ears.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you're probably full of shit. If a high schooler is working two full time jobs while paying their own bills; you as a teacher should have already contacted Child Protective Services. Or... The student is such a savant that they are well past 18, and still in high school. Which doesn't support the idea that they excel academically.
LOL

Some people cannot imagine the world outside their own personal experiences.

LOL

Some people cannot imagine the world outside their own personal experiences.
Or the legal parameters set out by the Dept. Of education, mathematics, chronology, and Leftists penchant for producing bullshit. Bullshit they hope draws more victims into their own self-inflicted misery. Nice try bitch. Better luck next time...

No. There is not a single one.
Two full time jobs and going to school would be 24 hrs a day, literally. Why have an apartment when you would never be in it?
That is math I learned in grade school.
Full time work is 30 hours a week.

School is seven hours a day

Do you need to borrow my abacus, professor?

Or the legal parameters set out by the Dept. Of education, mathematics, chronology, and Leftists penchant for producing bullshit. Bullshit they hope draws more victims into their own self-inflicted misery. Nice try bitch. Better luck next time...
Another squealing dumfuck who knows nothing about public schools, regurgitating whatever the white wing blogger du jour spoonfed to him.

You are therefore qualified to be Trump's next secretary of education.

You are embarrassing yourself. Please continue...
Stick your fingers in your ears if you don't want to hear about what goes on in the real world outside your own personal experiences. Once again, believe what you want. I'm just providing information.

Forum List

Back