Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

If the Pats hadn't scored more points with properly inflated balls in the second half, there might be a cheating issue. But if cheating is cheating, all players that get flagged for holding, clipping, or interference should be banned from the game. Consistency please.

Dude stop it. There is a difference between a penalty in a game (that the NFL has determined punishments for) and manipulating equipment to enhance performance. Corked bats = suspensions. Doctored baseballs = suspensions. PEDs = suspensions. Car not up to specs in NASCAR = suspensions. Wearing gold cleats = apparently suspensions. Doctoring footballs by the Patriots = "oh we'll have a look into it...hey look at that pretty butterfly over there"

Not much difference. If you hold a player, there is a penalty for violating the rules of the game. Testing positive for PEDs there is a penalty for violating the rules of the game. Having a football inflated outside the specs of the rule book, there is a penalty for violating the rules of the game.

The fine is $25,000, per ball that comes to $275,000 fine and it could be more.

I'm not positive, but the fine may actually be a straight $25k, not $25k per ball. Which would indict just how minor this infraction has traditionally been before this week. Marshawn Lynch was just fined $20k for making an obscene gesture (grabbing his crotch). If the fine for tampering with footballs is in fact only $5k more than that, wouldn't it possibly follow that this entire thing has been overblown to an absolutely absurd level?

If the Pats hadn't scored more points with properly inflated balls in the second half, there might be a cheating issue. But if cheating is cheating, all players that get flagged for holding, clipping, or interference should be banned from the game. Consistency please.

Dude stop it. There is a difference between a penalty in a game (that the NFL has determined punishments for) and manipulating equipment to enhance performance. Corked bats = suspensions. Doctored baseballs = suspensions. PEDs = suspensions. Car not up to specs in NASCAR = suspensions. Wearing gold cleats = apparently suspensions. Doctoring footballs by the Patriots = "oh we'll have a look into it...hey look at that pretty butterfly over there"

Not much difference. If you hold a player, there is a penalty for violating the rules of the game. Testing positive for PEDs there is a penalty for violating the rules of the game. Having a football inflated outside the specs of the rule book, there is a penalty for violating the rules of the game.

I'm not positive, but the fine may actually be a straight $25k, not $25k per ball. Which would indict just how minor this infraction has traditionally been before this week. Marshawn Lynch was just fined $20k for making an obscene gesture (grabbing his crotch). If the fine for tampering with footballs is in fact only $5k more than that, wouldn't it possibly follow that this entire thing has been overblown to an absolutely absurd level?

It's "not limited to" $25,000. Goodell can impose whatever he wants

If you play in the NHL and get caught with a stick that has an illegal amount of curve in it your team is given a two minute minor. Someone like Owl would demand that the player be banned from the playoffs because of it. Why? Because he HATES the Patriots! All rationality has gone right out the window on this issue. Seriously...it's the "biggest" scandal I've ever seen over the "smallest" issue. If you REALLY think this is a problem make it just like the NHL...if you think the opposing team is using an illegal ball...you challenge them on it and if it is indeed illegal the officials hit them with a fifteen yard penalty. That's it. This talk by some of suspending Brady from the Super Bowl or suspending Belichick for the season for this miniscule violation is SO ridiculous that you've literally got me laughing at some of the posts I'm seeing here.

If you play in the NHL and get caught with a stick that has an illegal amount of curve in it your team is given a two minute minor. Someone like Owl would demand that the player be banned from the playoffs because of it. Why? Because he HATES the Patriots! All rationality has gone right out the window on this issue. Seriously...it's the "biggest" scandal I've ever seen over the "smallest" issue. If you REALLY think this is a problem make it just like the NHL...if you think the opposing team is using an illegal ball...you challenge them on it and if it is indeed illegal the officials hit them with a fifteen yard penalty. That's it. This talk by some of suspending Brady from the Super Bowl or suspending Belichick for the season for this miniscule violation is SO ridiculous that you've literally got me laughing at some of the posts I'm seeing here.

As a Seahawks fan I don't want either of them suspended for the Super Bowl simply because I don't want to give Patriots fans (or anyone else) any excuses. I feel confident Seattle will win this game and we don't need the help...frankly it pisses me off as a fan that New England's actions could tarnish Seattle's legacy if a suspension of that nature were to take place (which I doubt it will). That being said, if it does happen New England has no one to blame but themselves. If a player were to test positive for PEDs today they would be suspended for the Super Bowl (although it would be challenged and they would be allowed to play pending appeal) and it would be the fault of the player.

Now that I think of it even if the league does suspend Brady or Belichick, they will appeal and they will be allowed to participate pending that appeal...in other words they will be there for the game. Just depends on what message the NFL wants to send, but I don't see any way either of them are not participating in the Super Bowl

As a Seahawks fan I don't want either of them suspended for the Super Bowl simply because I don't want to give Patriots fans (or anyone else) any excuses. I feel confident Seattle will win this game and we don't need the help...frankly it pisses me off as a fan that New England's actions could tarnish Seattle's legacy if a suspension of that nature were to take place (which I doubt it will). That being said, if it does happen New England has no one to blame but themselves. If a player were to test positive for PEDs today they would be suspended for the Super Bowl (although it would be challenged and they would be allowed to play pending appeal) and it would be the fault of the player.

Now that I think of it even if the league does suspend Brady or Belichick, they will appeal and they will be allowed to participate pending that appeal...in other words they will be there for the game. Just depends on what message the NFL wants to send, but I don't see any way either of them are not participating in the Super Bowl
I'd love to see Brady and Belicheck suspended for the SB, and then the rest of the team refuse to play. That would be the end of the NFL, because they'd never get another dime from the sponsors.

Oh, there you go. Make it like the NHL.Why not make it like baseball when a player is caught corking their bats or a pitcher who doctors the ball, or like a golfer who is DQ'd.

Are the tuck rule Pats fans still thinking the Patriots should be allowed to break rules and those who think they should not be allowed are Patriot haters.

Hilarious.

Oh, there you go. Make it like the NHL.Why not make it like baseball when a player is caught corking their bats or a pitcher who doctors the ball, or like a golfer who is DQ'd.

Are the tuck rule Pats fans still thinking the Patriots should be allowed to break rules and those who think they should not be allowed are Patriot haters.

Hilarious.

I suppose that now you're going to tell me that the Patriots broke the rules in the "Tuck Game"? You're so scarily delusional about the Patriots that it's not even funny, Dude! Full disclosure time...what team is it that you root for that has you so apoplectic about the Patriots?

The Patriots lost their first round draft choice and Bill Belichick lost a quarter of a million dollars because they videotaped the opposing team's defensive signals from the field instead of from above the field...but you don't think they were punished enough? Seriously, Dude...you need to stop sticking needles in your Tom Brady and Bill Belichick voodoo dolls and go get a freaking life!

Hilarious.
The best part about the SB is whoever wins, IT'S GOING TO BE FROM A "LIBERAL" state. NA NA NA NA NA!

Hilarious.

I suppose that now you're going to tell me that the Patriots broke the rules in the "Tuck Game"? You're so scarily delusional about the Patriots that it's not even funny, Dude! Full disclosure time...what team is it that you root for that has you so apoplectic about the Patriots?

Wow.

Waaaaaaa! waaaaaa!

The pats or so picked on.

The Patriots lost their first round draft choice and Bill Belichick lost a quarter of a million dollars because they videotaped the opposing team's defensive signals from the field instead of from above the field...but you don't think they were punished enough? Seriously, Dude...you need to stop sticking needles in your Tom Brady and Bill Belichick voodoo dolls and go get a freaking life!

I think the Patriots would be perfectly fine sacrificing a first round pick to win a Super Bowl. Pfft....big deal

Hilarious.

Wow.

Waaaaaaa! waaaaaa!

The pats or so picked on.

The only person crying here is you! You've been whining for the harshest penalties possible since this whole joke started.

So did you want to admit which team it is you're a fan of? Or did you want to duck that answer completely?

I think the Patriots would be perfectly fine sacrificing a first round pick to win a Super Bowl. Pfft....big deal

Since Bill Belichick has a long history of trading his first round draft picks for future draft picks it probably wouldn't affect them as badly as most teams. If that WAS the penalty for this however it would be ridiculous...as were the penalties for "Spygate".

Well just to get some personal expert perspective on this I called my brother who is an aerospace engineer and deals with atmospheric pressure on a daily basis. Even better he is not a football fan so doesn't care a bit about the result. According to him (I will give you the bottom line and a direct quote) "...as an aerospace engineer I could write you a very complicated and detailed explanation backed up with physics to explain every part of this perfectly, but in reality it would require an absolutely perfect storm for it all to come together and it would have such low odds of happening it would be practically impossible. The fact that one of the balls behaved differently in the same environment and under the same controls is highly suspicious and the Patriots' success rate in regards to ball protection since the rules changed in the NFL is outrageously suspicious. In short, I can use math to prove they didn't cheat, even though the likelihood that they did cheat is about 99.99%".

On the question of physics I will take his word.

Well just to get some personal expert perspective on this I called my brother who is an aerospace engineer and deals with atmospheric pressure on a daily basis. Even better he is not a football fan so doesn't care a bit about the result. According to him (I will give you the bottom line and a direct quote) "...as an aerospace engineer I could write you a very complicated and detailed explanation backed up with physics to explain every part of this perfectly, but in reality it would require an absolutely perfect storm for it all to come together and it would have such low odds of happening it would be practically impossible. The fact that one of the balls behaved differently in the same environment and under the same controls is highly suspicious and the Patriots' success rate in regards to ball protection since the rules changed in the NFL is outrageously suspicious. In short, I can use math to prove they didn't cheat, even though the likelihood that they did cheat is about 99.99%".

:beer::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::up::udaman:

Yeah sure. Lol! My brother the rocket scientist says your brother is wrong. :funnyface: Your stupid anecdotes don't mean anything.

I want to SEE your math, please. Put out or get out. :D

I think it is much ado about nothing however it plays into Belichick's hand. The chip on the shoulder, show the world, and blah, blah, blah. If it works, not a bad gamble.

:beer::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::up::udaman:

Exactly. The one ball that was at regulation pressure kills the "physics" argument all together.

Forum List

Back