Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

Well just to get some personal expert perspective on this I called my brother who is an aerospace engineer and deals with atmospheric pressure on a daily basis. Even better he is not a football fan so doesn't care a bit about the result. According to him (I will give you the bottom line and a direct quote) "...as an aerospace engineer I could write you a very complicated and detailed explanation backed up with physics to explain every part of this perfectly, but in reality it would require an absolutely perfect storm for it all to come together and it would have such low odds of happening it would be practically impossible. The fact that one of the balls behaved differently in the same environment and under the same controls is highly suspicious and the Patriots' success rate in regards to ball protection since the rules changed in the NFL is outrageously suspicious. In short, I can use math to prove they didn't cheat, even though the likelihood that they did cheat is about 99.99%".

On the question of physics I will take his word.
:beer::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::up::udaman:

Exactly. The one ball that was at regulation pressure kills the "physics" argument all together.
Cant believe this under inflated football thing is still going on. Anyone with half a brain, who is honest with themselves, knows this would be a trivial issue if it wasn't the Patriots

Every minute Brady, Belichick and the Patriots have to spend on this investigation and answering all the questions and preparing to answer all the questions is time they won't have to prepare for playing the Seahawks.

Preparation is paramount in a game of this magnitude.

If for no other reason the Hawks have a huge advantage in the time available to prepare for playing the actual game.

If this media "Inflate-Gate" blitz keeps going through next week I would say that Seattle will be at least TWICE as prepared as New England just because of the media interference.

Every minute Brady, Belichick and the Patriots have to spend on this investigation and answering all the questions and preparing to answer all the questions is time they won't have to prepare for playing the Seahawks.

If for no other reason the Hawks have a huge advantage in the time available tpared for playing the actual game than get ready for the Patriots.

If this media "Inflate-Gate" blitz keeps going through next week I would say that Seattle will be at least TWICE as prepared as New England just because of the media interference.

Ha-ha! Some might say that's cheating. :lol:

If for no other reason the Hawks have a huge advantage in the time available to prepare for playing the actual game than get ready for the Patriots.

Belichick will be prepared no doubt about that:thup:

This is the dumbest issue to come out. The Colt's sucked last Sunday, the football had nothing to do with it.

Why is this an issue?

This is the dumbest issue to come out. The Colt's sucked last Sunday, the football had nothing to do with it.

Why is this an issue?

You think the media attention is because the Colts lost?

It is an issue because the footballs were altered. The fact that eleven were out of regulation and one ball was IN regulation is proof that an important rule had been violated.

The rule is there for a reason. The reason is so both teams are playing with the same equipment. It's called a level playing field. Most people would argue that it is a fair rule. Otherwise it would not be a rule would it.

The discovery of the Patriot cheating just happened to co-inside with the Colts game.

Do you think the Patriots can break the rules without repercussion?

If for no other reason the Hawks have a huge advantage in the time available to prepare for playing the actual game than get ready for the Patriots.

Belichick will be prepared no doubt about that:thup:

I was thinking that the Pats scored a LOT during that game. Maybe all the celebrating and spiking the ball in the end zone deflated the balls. Of course the Colts balls were not being used as much, so theirs were not as deflated. Lol. It's a possibility! :D

Bill Belichick After Further Review of Deflategate Charges:
'We Did Everything As Right As We Could Do It'

"At no time was there any intent whatsoever to try to compromise the integrity of the game, or to gain an advantage," a defiant Belichick said. "Quite the opposite. We feel like we followed the rules of the game to the letter, in our preparations, in our procedures, alright, and in the way that we handle every game that we competitively played in as it relates to this matter, alright.

"We try to do everything right. We err on the side of caution. It's been that way now for many years. Anything that's close, we stay as far away from the line as we can, and in this case I can say that we are – as far as I know and everything that I can do – we did everything as right as we could do it. And we welcome the league's investigation in this matter. I think there are a number of things that need to be looked into on a number of levels but that's not for this conversation. I'm sure that will be taken up at another point in time.”

Belichick said he wanted to take this opportunity to share information on what the team has been looking into the past week as it relates to this controversy.

"I feel like this is important because there have been questions raised and I believe now 100 percent that I have personally, and we as an organization, have absolutely followed every rule to the letter. I just feel that on behalf of everyone in the organization, everyone that’s involved in this organization, that we need to say something."

Bill Belichick After Further Review of Deflategate Charges We Did Everything As Right As We Could Do It - Extra Points - Boston.com

Well just to get some personal expert perspective on this I called my brother who is an aerospace engineer and deals with atmospheric pressure on a daily basis. Even better he is not a football fan so doesn't care a bit about the result. According to him (I will give you the bottom line and a direct quote) "...as an aerospace engineer I could write you a very complicated and detailed explanation backed up with physics to explain every part of this perfectly, but in reality it would require an absolutely perfect storm for it all to come together and it would have such low odds of happening it would be practically impossible. The fact that one of the balls behaved differently in the same environment and under the same controls is highly suspicious and the Patriots' success rate in regards to ball protection since the rules changed in the NFL is outrageously suspicious. In short, I can use math to prove they didn't cheat, even though the likelihood that they did cheat is about 99.99%".

Exactly. The one ball that was at regulation pressure kills the "physics" argument all together.

Really? That's assuming that all the balls started at the same pressure. That's assuming that the official who was supposed to check the balls actually DID! Here's a radical concept...perhaps someone who was supposed to do his job...didn't! Perhaps the referee picked up some balls...gave them a squeeze and said..."Yup...feels OK to me! Let's go play some football!!!"

What's hilarious is that you think the Patriots success rate is "outrageously suspicious"! Duh...they have arguably the best quarterback ever to play the game and arguably the best coach ever to coach in the league and arguably the best owner to own a team in league history...gee. why would someone think THAT would result in wins!

Really? That's assuming that all the balls started at the same pressure. That's assuming that the official who was supposed to check the balls actually DID! Here's a radical concept...perhaps someone who was supposed to do his job...didn't! Perhaps the referee picked up some balls...gave them a squeeze and said..."Yup...feels OK to me! Let's go play some football!!!"

Or the footballs were taken in from the cold at half-time, the Pats were checked first and as the footballs warmed up to the indoors room temps, they tested less and less under pressure till the last one passed. And the Colts footballs all passed because the footballs had all warmed up by then.

Does anyone know what the air temperature was in the room and also for the footballs when the pressure was checked? There is no NFL standard for these two variables.

What's hilarious is that you think the Patriots success rate is "outrageously suspicious"! Duh...they have arguably the best quarterback ever to play the game and arguably the best coach ever to coach in the league and arguably the best owner to own a team in league history...gee. why would someone think THAT would result in wins!

I agree on all three claims. Brady, Belichek and Kraft explain a hell of a lot more than some slightly underinflated footballs used only in the first half. The Colts got totally shut down in the second half, 28-0 and all the Pats footballs were spec.

They did before they changed the rules allowing teams to provide their own balls too. Yet before then the Patriots were on par with the league average and had been for years. The moment the rules were changed then suddenly they perform at three standard deviations better for six straight seasons? Granted correlation does not equal causation, but that's pretty damned suspicious.

I want to SEE your math, please. Put out or get out. :D

You misunderstand. I did not ask my brother for math, nor did he provide any. He was pissed enough that I bothered him on a Saturday asking a football related question as it was. His point was that he could write an equation to show anything someone wanted. As he put it "pay me enough and I will write you an equation showing how an elephant can stand on a teacup without it breaking".

His point was that math would only be required to prove the improbable rather than the other way around because basic common sense tells you all you need to know. I will spell it out for you a bit more slowly.

We have an experiment repeated twice. In each experiment 12 balls were handled the same way and in the same environment. All were inflated to 12.5 psi. The balls were then introduced into the same colder environment and the difference was measured. In the first run 11 of the balls dropped 2 psi and one stayed the same. What that means it you somehow have a situation where the laws of physics are working one way in 11 of the balls and a different way in the 12th ball. So you repeat the experiment and this time none of the balls show any change.

The only thing that has remained constant is the reaction of the 12th ball that showed no change in both experiments. In the second run the other 11 balls re-enforced the results of the only thing that was constant in both experiments...the no change reaction of the 12th ball. Hence a naturally occurring phenomenon is probably not the issue.

Could it be some form of physical defect? Leaky valves or perhaps the inner bladders of the first 11 were damaged due to initial over inflation? Perhaps but if they leaked in the first half they would leak in the second half too. So physical defection of the balls is probably not the case.

Ok what about a psi gauge that is not correctly calibrated? Possible, but provided it was left alone and not tampered with between experiments the gauge would show similar results. So that's probably not the case.

So what else is left? Human intervention which, either by accident or intent, resulted in the deflation of 11 balls in the first experiment only. In other words, someone let air out of the balls.

It's really not that tough

Or the footballs were taken in from the cold at half-time, the Pats were checked first and as the footballs warmed up to the indoors room temps, they tested less and less under pressure till the last one passed. And the Colts footballs all passed because the footballs had all warmed up by then.

Does anyone know what the air temperature was in the room and also for the footballs when the pressure was checked? There is no NFL standard for these two variables.

Uh huh....and then the moon's gravity centered over 11 of the balls but not the 12th enhancing the effect, and the tidal forces were pulling on each end of the balls making it even worse, and then there was a CME that disrupted the Earth's magnetic field in such a way that those 11 balls lost a couple more psi....dude....just stop it.

Someone let the air out of the balls. Good Lord. :lol:

You misunderstand. I did not ask my brother for math, nor did he provide any. He was pissed enough that I bothered him on a Saturday asking a football related question as it was. His point was that he could write an equation to show anything someone wanted. As he put it "pay me enough and I will write you an equation showing how an elephant can stand on a teacup without it breaking".

His point was that math would only be required to prove the improbable rather than the other way around because basic common sense tells you all you need to know. I will spell it out for you a bit more slowly.

We have an experiment repeated twice. In each experiment 12 balls were handled the same way and in the same environment. All were inflated to 12.5 psi. The balls were then introduced into the same colder environment and the difference was measured. In the first run 11 of the balls dropped 2 psi and one stayed the same. What that means it you somehow have a situation where the laws of physics are working one way in 11 of the balls and a different way in the 12th ball. So you repeat the experiment and this time none of the balls show any change.

The only thing that has remained constant is the reaction of the 12th ball that showed no change in both experiments. In the second run the other 11 balls re-enforced the results of the only thing that was constant in both experiments...the no change reaction of the 12th ball. Hence a naturally occurring phenomenon is probably not the issue.

Could it be some form of physical defect? Leaky valves or perhaps the inner bladders of the first 11 were damaged due to initial over inflation? Perhaps but if they leaked in the first half they would leak in the second half too. So physical defection of the balls is probably not the case.

Ok what about a psi gauge that is not correctly calibrated? Possible, but provided it was left alone and not tampered with between experiments the gauge would show similar results. So that's probably not the case.

So what else is left? Human intervention which, either by accident or intent, resulted in the deflation of 11 balls in the first experiment only. In other words, someone let air out of the balls.

You are so full of it. :lol: Get a life, will you?

What an idiot you must be to think anyone is buying your bogus lies. You cannot duplicate the conditions that were present at the stadium during game time and everything that may or may not have been done with those balls. You are an idiot.

Do you even LIVE in New England? Do you know anything about how rapidly the temperatures change around here? Do you know anything at all?

YOU said if we needed to SEE the math, you would provide it. Obviously, you are a liar and you lack integrity, probably more so than the Patriots.

So we are going to go with the Patriots balls were magic balls? I guess those balls were bought from the same place Jack bought his beanstalk beans.

The laws of physics apparently ceased to exist on the Colts balls.

The-Times-My-Cousin-Vinnie-008.jpg

Like I said, just let the poor picked on Pats do whatever they want.

After all, here is Goodell partying with Kraft the night before the AFCCG. Notice, the call girl hovering over Kraft?

roger-goodell-robert-kraft.jpg

Ya ...Ya... Belichick is stretching the laws of physics into magical areas where they only apply to his team's environments yet leave the Colt's out in the cold and of out of the known universe.

No matter what science lecture Billy Boi thinks he is presenting and all of the glib movie references he dredges up the fact he can't get around is that the colt's balls were all within regulation and 11 out of 12 Patriots balls were 10% out of specs. That may not seem like a lot but it is cheating plain and simple.

They did before they changed the rules allowing teams to provide their own balls too. Yet before then the Patriots were on par with the league average and had been for years. The moment the rules were changed then suddenly they perform at three standard deviations better for six straight seasons? Granted correlation does not equal causation, but that's pretty damned suspicious.

Link or its nothing but bullshit.

Forum List

Back