Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

Ya ...Ya... Belichick is stretching the laws of physics into magical areas where they only apply to his team's environments yet leave the Colt's out in the cold and of out of the known universe.

No matter what science lecture Billy Boi thinks he is presenting and all of the glib movie references he dredges up the fact he can't get around is that the colt's balls were all within regulation and 11 out of 12 Patriots balls were 10% out of specs. That may not seem like a lot but it is cheating plain and simple.

You are forgetting. The Colts sucked and weren't on offense NEARLY as much as the Pats, and there was NO celebrating by spiking balls in the end zone by the Colts. The amount of times you handle your balls plays a role, as well as 300-pound men handling them. They are MUCH stronger than you and your silly little science geek friend.

I really don't want to visualize 300 lb men handling their balls.

Hey if there was another way to word it, I would have. :lol: I'm aware of all the innuendos, but it can't be helped when you are discussing balls.

72 pages on a non-issue. Well Patriot haters would obviously rather focus on that, than having to think about Brady getting his fourth ring, and Belicheck being the greatest coach in NFL history. Only a week left till they have to cry in their beer.

Well just to get some personal expert perspective on this I called my brother who is an aerospace engineer and deals with atmospheric pressure on a daily basis. Even better he is not a football fan so doesn't care a bit about the result. According to him (I will give you the bottom line and a direct quote) "...as an aerospace engineer I could write you a very complicated and detailed explanation backed up with physics to explain every part of this perfectly, but in reality it would require an absolutely perfect storm for it all to come together and it would have such low odds of happening it would be practically impossible. The fact that one of the balls behaved differently in the same environment and under the same controls is highly suspicious and the Patriots' success rate in regards to ball protection since the rules changed in the NFL is outrageously suspicious. In short, I can use math to prove they didn't cheat, even though the likelihood that they did cheat is about 99.99%".

On the question of physics I will take his word.
:beer::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::up::udaman:

Exactly. The one ball that was at regulation pressure kills the "physics" argument all together.

Really? That's assuming that all the balls started at the same pressure. That's assuming that the official who was supposed to check the balls actually DID! Here's a radical concept...perhaps someone who was supposed to do his job...didn't! Perhaps the referee picked up some balls...gave them a squeeze and said..."Yup...feels OK to me! Let's go play some football!!!"

What's hilarious is that you think the Patriots success rate is "outrageously suspicious"! Duh...they have arguably the best quarterback ever to play the game and arguably the best coach ever to coach in the league and arguably the best owner to own a team in league history...gee. why would someone think THAT would result in wins!

They did before they changed the rules allowing teams to provide their own balls too. Yet before then the Patriots were on par with the league average and had been for years. The moment the rules were changed then suddenly they perform at three standard deviations better for six straight seasons? Granted correlation does not equal causation, but that's pretty damned suspicious.

Correlation does not equal causation? That's the understatement of the century...yet somehow you're here making the case that it does!

The Patriots were a great team before Spygate made them stop videotaping from the sidelines instead of from a fixed position higher up...and they were just as good AFTER. All you have to do is look at their record. It's the best in the NFL for the time that Belichick, Brady and Kraft have run that team. It's the best by such a wide margin it's not even funny! Your thinking that it has something to do with the Patriots balls is laughable. It has to do with them doing their jobs better than anyone else. Belichick is a better coach...Brady is a better quarterback...Kraft is a better owner. THAT'S IT! THERE IS NO MAGIC BEAN...THERE IS NO UNDERHANDED DEVIOUSNESS TAKING PLACE...YOUR TEAM IS SIMPLY GETTING OUT COACHED AND OUT PLAYED!

Ya ...Ya... Belichick is stretching the laws of physics into magical areas where they only apply to his team's environments yet leave the Colt's out in the cold and of out of the known universe.

No matter what science lecture Billy Boi thinks he is presenting and all of the glib movie references he dredges up the fact he can't get around is that the colt's balls were all within regulation and 11 out of 12 Patriots balls were 10% out of specs. That may not seem like a lot but it is cheating plain and simple.

Since you have no idea what pressure the Colts balls started at...the fact that they ended up within regulation after a half of playing does not prove that the Patriots "cheated". Perhaps the Colts footballs started out the game slightly over inflated. Perhaps the "fact" that they were within regulations several hours later proves that cold does have an affect on ball pressure. Quite frankly you are making assumptions based on things that have not been proven to be factual.

I want to SEE your math, please. Put out or get out. :D

You misunderstand. I did not ask my brother for math, nor did he provide any. He was pissed enough that I bothered him on a Saturday asking a football related question as it was. His point was that he could write an equation to show anything someone wanted. As he put it "pay me enough and I will write you an equation showing how an elephant can stand on a teacup without it breaking".

His point was that math would only be required to prove the improbable rather than the other way around because basic common sense tells you all you need to know. I will spell it out for you a bit more slowly.

We have an experiment repeated twice. In each experiment 12 balls were handled the same way and in the same environment. All were inflated to 12.5 psi. The balls were then introduced into the same colder environment and the difference was measured. In the first run 11 of the balls dropped 2 psi and one stayed the same. What that means it you somehow have a situation where the laws of physics are working one way in 11 of the balls and a different way in the 12th ball. So you repeat the experiment and this time none of the balls show any change.

The only thing that has remained constant is the reaction of the 12th ball that showed no change in both experiments. In the second run the other 11 balls re-enforced the results of the only thing that was constant in both experiments...the no change reaction of the 12th ball. Hence a naturally occurring phenomenon is probably not the issue.

Could it be some form of physical defect? Leaky valves or perhaps the inner bladders of the first 11 were damaged due to initial over inflation? Perhaps but if they leaked in the first half they would leak in the second half too. So physical defection of the balls is probably not the case.

Ok what about a psi gauge that is not correctly calibrated? Possible, but provided it was left alone and not tampered with between experiments the gauge would show similar results. So that's probably not the case.

So what else is left? Human intervention which, either by accident or intent, resulted in the deflation of 11 balls in the first experiment only. In other words, someone let air out of the balls.

It's really not that tough

Now in said experiment, the officials, professionals mind you, could not determine that they were deflated? I have to think that the officials did not care, knew it all along or were in on it.

I have an uncle who is a finish carpenter, he can walk in to a kitchen and tell you I'd anything is off by as little as a sixteenth of an inch. I can't see it but he is a pro. I know a tile guy, he can walk into a room and tell you it it is out of square. I had a friend who worked in the post office, he could simply lift a package and tell you what it weighed within an ounce, another was a baggage agent, he could lift a bag and tell you the weight within a few ounces.

This leads me to believe that this goes on a lot, officials aren't that dumb, and if just by catching it, you can tell its light, an official squeezing it can tell it light. It is not that hard for pros, to be that sensitive to little minute things.

That is because, as has been stated several times now, there was not ENOUGH air missing to make a noticeable difference in the feel of the ball.

It is very noticeable, it's a 20% variable, it has to be noticeable otherwise the Pats wouldn't have taken the air out.

It's NOT noticeable amount. I already posted a link somewhere in this thread where it says it is equal to the amount of the weight of a piece of paper.

It's not the weight that matters, it is the difference in catching it. You can't throw it as far however you can catch it easier, their is a difference. Go out fill a football under fill, over fill, fill it the correct amount. There is a difference, so noticeable that Brady likes his under inflated. If it didn't matter, he would have no preference.

Since you have no idea what pressure the Colts balls started at...the fact that they ended up within regulation after a half of playing does not prove that the Patriots "cheated". Perhaps the Colts footballs started out the game slightly over inflated. Perhaps the "fact" that they were within regulations several hours later proves that cold does have an affect on ball pressure. Quite frankly you are making assumptions based on things that have not been proven to be factual.

Ah yes, great point! Thanks! :)

You misunderstand. I did not ask my brother for math, nor did he provide any. He was pissed enough that I bothered him on a Saturday asking a football related question as it was. His point was that he could write an equation to show anything someone wanted. As he put it "pay me enough and I will write you an equation showing how an elephant can stand on a teacup without it breaking".

His point was that math would only be required to prove the improbable rather than the other way around because basic common sense tells you all you need to know. I will spell it out for you a bit more slowly.

We have an experiment repeated twice. In each experiment 12 balls were handled the same way and in the same environment. All were inflated to 12.5 psi. The balls were then introduced into the same colder environment and the difference was measured. In the first run 11 of the balls dropped 2 psi and one stayed the same. What that means it you somehow have a situation where the laws of physics are working one way in 11 of the balls and a different way in the 12th ball. So you repeat the experiment and this time none of the balls show any change.

The only thing that has remained constant is the reaction of the 12th ball that showed no change in both experiments. In the second run the other 11 balls re-enforced the results of the only thing that was constant in both experiments...the no change reaction of the 12th ball. Hence a naturally occurring phenomenon is probably not the issue.

Could it be some form of physical defect? Leaky valves or perhaps the inner bladders of the first 11 were damaged due to initial over inflation? Perhaps but if they leaked in the first half they would leak in the second half too. So physical defection of the balls is probably not the case.

Ok what about a psi gauge that is not correctly calibrated? Possible, but provided it was left alone and not tampered with between experiments the gauge would show similar results. So that's probably not the case.

So what else is left? Human intervention which, either by accident or intent, resulted in the deflation of 11 balls in the first experiment only. In other words, someone let air out of the balls.

It's really not that tough

Now in said experiment, the officials, professionals mind you, could not determine that they were deflated? I have to think that the officials did not care, knew it all along or were in on it.

I have an uncle who is a finish carpenter, he can walk in to a kitchen and tell you I'd anything is off by as little as a sixteenth of an inch. I can't see it but he is a pro. I know a tile guy, he can walk into a room and tell you it it is out of square. I had a friend who worked in the post office, he could simply lift a package and tell you what it weighed within an ounce, another was a baggage agent, he could lift a bag and tell you the weight within a few ounces.

This leads me to believe that this goes on a lot, officials aren't that dumb, and if just by catching it, you can tell its light, an official squeezing it can tell it light. It is not that hard for pros, to be that sensitive to little minute things.

That is because, as has been stated several times now, there was not ENOUGH air missing to make a noticeable difference in the feel of the ball.

It is very noticeable, it's a 20% variable, it has to be noticeable otherwise the Pats wouldn't have taken the air out.

It's NOT noticeable amount. I already posted a link somewhere in this thread where it says it is equal to the amount of the weight of a piece of paper.

It's not the weight that matters, it is the difference in catching it. You can't throw it as far however you can catch it easier, their is a difference. Go out fill a football under fill, over fill, fill it the correct amount. There is a difference, so noticeable that Brady likes his under inflated. If it didn't matter, he would have no preference.

Brady says he likes them at low end of regulation guidelines. He never said he likes them deflated under regulation guidelines.

Well just to get some personal expert perspective on this I called my brother who is an aerospace engineer and deals with atmospheric pressure on a daily basis. Even better he is not a football fan so doesn't care a bit about the result. According to him (I will give you the bottom line and a direct quote) "...as an aerospace engineer I could write you a very complicated and detailed explanation backed up with physics to explain every part of this perfectly, but in reality it would require an absolutely perfect storm for it all to come together and it would have such low odds of happening it would be practically impossible. The fact that one of the balls behaved differently in the same environment and under the same controls is highly suspicious and the Patriots' success rate in regards to ball protection since the rules changed in the NFL is outrageously suspicious. In short, I can use math to prove they didn't cheat, even though the likelihood that they did cheat is about 99.99%".

Exactly. The one ball that was at regulation pressure kills the "physics" argument all together.

Really? That's assuming that all the balls started at the same pressure. That's assuming that the official who was supposed to check the balls actually DID! Here's a radical concept...perhaps someone who was supposed to do his job...didn't! Perhaps the referee picked up some balls...gave them a squeeze and said..."Yup...feels OK to me! Let's go play some football!!!"

What's hilarious is that you think the Patriots success rate is "outrageously suspicious"! Duh...they have arguably the best quarterback ever to play the game and arguably the best coach ever to coach in the league and arguably the best owner to own a team in league history...gee. why would someone think THAT would result in wins!

They did before they changed the rules allowing teams to provide their own balls too. Yet before then the Patriots were on par with the league average and had been for years. The moment the rules were changed then suddenly they perform at three standard deviations better for six straight seasons? Granted correlation does not equal causation, but that's pretty damned suspicious.

That is as funny of an excuse as I have heard in a long time. It would have nothing to do with their new QB would it?

Correlation does not equal causation? That's the understatement of the century...yet somehow you're here making the case that it does!

The Patriots were a great team before Spygate made them stop videotaping from the sidelines instead of from a fixed position higher up...and they were just as good AFTER. All you have to do is look at their record. It's the best in the NFL for the time that Belichick, Brady and Kraft have run that team. It's the best by such a wide margin it's not even funny! Your thinking that it has something to do with the Patriots balls is laughable. It has to do with them doing their jobs better than anyone else. Belichick is a better coach...Brady is a better quarterback...Kraft is a better owner. THAT'S IT! THERE IS NO MAGIC BEAN...THERE IS NO UNDERHANDED DEVIOUSNESS TAKING PLACE...YOUR TEAM IS SIMPLY GETTING OUT COACHED AND OUT PLAYED!

Actually my team beat them.

That is as funny of an excuse as I have heard in a long time. It would have nothing to do with their new QB would it?

This guy is a jerk, period. He wants to believe the worst and nobody is going to change his mind.

Oh you mean Brady has only been playing for the Patriots since 2007? That's news to me

They won the Super Bowls long before that.

Yeah no shit...with Brady...so it's tough for me to see how New England's sudden improvement in ball security has anything to do with a new quarterback

Oh you mean Brady has only been playing for the Patriots since 2007? That's news to me

They won the Super Bowls long before that.

Yeah no shit...with Brady...so it's tough for me to see how New England's sudden improvement in ball security has anything to do with a new quarterback

I have a tough time believing they are the only team that is involved.

Brady says he likes them at low end of regulation guidelines. He never said he likes them deflated under regulation guidelines.

What Brady says to reporters and what in fact were the balls measured at is the problem that won't go away.

If the NFL and the media had bar that was "Well? what did Tom Brady say?" then there would be no controversy.

Tom Should have just said.. "Whoops! Our Bad! We screwed up." then there would have been a fine and it would all go away.

But they can't do the intelligent thing.

Hell! It doesn't matter how the balls got out of regs. It was the Patriots responsibility to maintain them within the rules.

Nobody is charging Brady with first degree murder. Just friggin man up Tommy and admit that SOMEBODY on your team screwed up. If they keep this hard line about it ..well then they will be punished all the more.

AND they have nobody to blame but themselves.

What Brady says to reporters and what in fact were the balls measured at is the problem that won't go away.

If the NFL and the media had bar that was "Well? what did Tom Brady say?" then there would be no controversy.

Tom Should have just said.. "Whoops! Our Bad! We screwed up." then there would have been a fine and it would all go away.

Hell! It doesn't matter how the balls got out of regs. It was the Patriots responsibility to maintain them within the rules.

Nobody is charging Brady with first degree murder. Just friggin man up Tommy and admit that SOMEBODY on your team screwed up. If they keep this hard line about it ..well then they will be punished all the more.

Why on earth should he? I'm still going with the idea that the Pats had a great game, had a lot of "spiking the balls" in the end zone type of celebrations. It's not only Gronk who does that, after all. OTOH, the Colts were not doing those things because of the fact that they were losing badly from the very beginning of the game. So, between touch down and first down celebrations, etc., there was a lot of man handling the balls by big strong men - Lol - sorry for the innuendo. On top of that, there was a pretty rapid drop in temperatures. It is not out of the realm of possibility that those two factors combined could have contributed to some loss in PSI.

Why on earth should he? I'm still going with the idea that the Pats had a great game, had a lot of "spiking the balls" in the end zone type of celebrations. It's not only Gronk who does that, after all. OTOH, the Colts were not doing those things because of the fact that they were losing badly from the very beginning of the game. So, between touch down and first down celebrations, etc., there was a lot of man handling the balls by big strong men - Lol - sorry for the innuendo. On top of that, there was a pretty rapid drop in temperatures. It is not out of the realm of possibility that those two factors combined could have contributed to some loss in PSI.
I think your brain is inflated as well as your libido for Brady

Naw... Won't hold the water.

No football gets smacked like when it gets kicked or punted. The kicking football bounces a hell of a lot farther than Gronk's whimpy spikes.

The one football that kept pressure for the test was the kicking ball.

I think your brain is inflated as well as your libido for Brady

:lol: Still does not negate my post which makes complete sense. You mad?

Forum List

Back