Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

It's NOT noticeable amount. I already posted a link somewhere in this thread where it says it is equal to the amount of the weight of a piece of paper.

It's not the weight that matters, it is the difference in catching it. You can't throw it as far however you can catch it easier, their is a difference. Go out fill a football under fill, over fill, fill it the correct amount. There is a difference, so noticeable that Brady likes his under inflated. If it didn't matter, he would have no preference.

Brady says he likes them at low end of regulation guidelines. He never said he likes them deflated under regulation guidelines.

What Brady says to reporters and what in fact were the balls measured at is the problem that won't go away.

If the NFL and the media had bar that was "Well? what did Tom Brady say?" then there would be no controversy.

Tom Should have just said.. "Whoops! Our Bad! We screwed up." then there would have been a fine and it would all go away.

But they can't do the intelligent thing.

Hell! It doesn't matter how the balls got out of regs. It was the Patriots responsibility to maintain them within the rules.

Nobody is charging Brady with first degree murder. Just friggin man up Tommy and admit that SOMEBODY on your team screwed up. If they keep this hard line about it ..well then they will be punished all the more.

AND they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Why on earth should he? I'm still going with the idea that the Pats had a great game, had a lot of "spiking the balls" in the end zone type of celebrations. It's not only Gronk who does that, after all. OTOH, the Colts were not doing those things because of the fact that they were losing badly from the very beginning of the game. So, between touch down and first down celebrations, etc., there was a lot of man handling the balls by big strong men - Lol - sorry for the innuendo. On top of that, there was a pretty rapid drop in temperatures. It is not out of the realm of possibility that those two factors combined could have contributed to some loss in PSI.

Naw... Won't hold the water.

No football gets smacked like when it gets kicked or punted. The kicking football bounces a hell of a lot farther than Gronk's whimpy spikes.

The one football that kept pressure for the test was the kicking ball.

I think it makes perfectly good sense. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

That is as funny of an excuse as I have heard in a long time. It would have nothing to do with their new QB would it?

Oh you mean Brady has only been playing for the Patriots since 2007? That's news to me

They won the Super Bowls long before that.

Yeah no shit...with Brady...so it's tough for me to see how New England's sudden improvement in ball security has anything to do with a new quarterback

I have a tough time believing they are the only team that is involved.

You think that players from other teams are sneaking around the Patriots sidelines deflating their footballs?

That's crazy !!!!!

Mike Florio is reporting that only one ball was at 10.5 and the rest were closer to 11.5. I've also read elsewhere that the 12th ball was under regulation, but less so than the other 11. It would be nice if the NFL would say fucking ANYTHING about what they've found.

Personally, the more adamantly the Patriots deny it, the more I believe them. Think he's as evil as you want, Belichick is not stupid. When Spygate happened he readily admitted to everything because he felt that was he was doing was within the rules. The NFL disagreed. I've read articles about how after Spygate, the Pats began running anything and everything past their lawyers to make sure the same sort of thing didn't happen a second time.

The Patriots aren't exactly known for being talkative with the press. I don't think anyone would've been surprised if they refused to answer any questions about this whole thing. And yet, not only have they answered questions, they've had numerous press conferences and denied any wrongdoing in the strongest possible terms. If there was any chance of the NFL finding intentional deflation, why on earth would they do that? They don't care about the court of public opinion. They know that Goodell would come down on them harder if he thinks they lied about it and made him look stupid. It makes no sense for a team like the Patriots to issue such strong denials.

Having said all that, I can't say for certain that they did nothing wrong. The NFL hasn't given us much to work with as far as facts go. But I think the team reaction makes no sense at all if they did something wrong.

That is as funny of an excuse as I have heard in a long time. It would have nothing to do with their new QB would it?

Oh you mean Brady has only been playing for the Patriots since 2007? That's news to me

Yeah no shit...with Brady...so it's tough for me to see how New England's sudden improvement in ball security has anything to do with a new quarterback

You think that players from other teams are sneaking around the Patriots sidelines deflating their footballs?

That's crazy !!!!!

You idiot, is your reading comprehension as bad as you're implying?

That is because, as has been stated several times now, there was not ENOUGH air missing to make a noticeable difference in the feel of the ball.

It is very noticeable, it's a 20% variable, it has to be noticeable otherwise the Pats wouldn't have taken the air out.

It's NOT noticeable amount. I already posted a link somewhere in this thread where it says it is equal to the amount of the weight of a piece of paper.

It's not the weight that matters, it is the difference in catching it. You can't throw it as far however you can catch it easier, their is a difference. Go out fill a football under fill, over fill, fill it the correct amount. There is a difference, so noticeable that Brady likes his under inflated. If it didn't matter, he would have no preference.

Brady says he likes them at low end of regulation guidelines. He never said he likes them deflated under regulation guidelines.

What Brady says to reporters and what in fact were the balls measured at is the problem that won't go away.

If the NFL and the media had bar that was "Well? what did Tom Brady say?" then there would be no controversy.

Tom Should have just said.. "Whoops! Our Bad! We screwed up." then there would have been a fine and it would all go away.

But they can't do the intelligent thing.

Hell! It doesn't matter how the balls got out of regs. It was the Patriots responsibility to maintain them within the rules.

Nobody is charging Brady with first degree murder. Just friggin man up Tommy and admit that SOMEBODY on your team screwed up. If they keep this hard line about it ..well then they will be punished all the more.

AND they have nobody to blame but themselves.

If the PSI in the balls fell to below regulation due to weather or something of the sort, would the Patriots be allowed to reinflate them to spec? Graham Gano's tweets lead me to believe that the Patriots would not be allowed to do that.

That's crazy !!!!!

You idiot, is your reading comprehension as bad as you're implying?

Possibly.

I'm having a difficult time taking any of this seriously.

When I lose attention my mind wanders.

This whole thing is in the Patriots hands.

Admit that SOMEHOW they screwed up. They don't know how they screwed up. They take responsibility for the mistake.They will take extra care to make sure that in the future their game balls will be within regulations.

That would end it.

Admit that SOMEHOW they screwed up. They don't know how they screwed up. They take responsibility for the mistake.They will take extra care to make sure that in the future their game balls will be within regulations.

That would end it.

But we don't know that they DID screw up. They have already said that they will be inflating the balls to the higher end of the allowed limit to account for this from now on.

Also, I'm now reading reports that the guy who started the on-site investigations is NFL VP of Game Operations Mike Kensil. A man who was a Jets employee for 20 years, including during the time when Belichick resigned as HC of the Jets. That's a bit suspicious to me.

Also, per Florio, the only ball that was at 10.5 was the one in the Colts possession (the intercepted ball). So if this is true, and all of the balls were within a range that could be explained scientifically, and the one ball in the Colts possession was the only one in a range not explainable by science, what conclusions could be fairly drawn?

Also, per Florio, the only ball that was at 10.5 was the one in the Colts possession (the intercepted ball).

Well that is interesting. I had not heard of that until now.
Here's what Florio said:
But what has the NFL really found? As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI.

It's obviously not a fact, since it's just unnamed league sources, but given that literally everything in this so far has been unnamed sources, it's as worthwhile a point as any.

That would end it.

How exactly do you take responsibility for something...when you have no idea how it happened? This might not be a screw up of the New England Patriots at all. If the balls that they gave to the officials were at the very low end of the acceptable scale...or even a little below it...and were deemed acceptable by the referee...then because of use or weather conditions lost pressure over the course of the first half then I'm having a hard time seeing how THAT is a "screw-up" by the Patriots.

That's assuming of course that the referee of the game did in fact measure the balls in question correctly...something that so far nobody has shown me has been proven. We're being asked to take that as a given that he did because he said that he did. Well did he? Did he painstakingly measure the pressure of each of the 36 balls to be used in the game? Or did he simply pick up the balls and give them a squeeze test? If so is he going to admit that if a subsequent uproar ensues over ball pressure? Or is he going to say..."Yes, I tested each of the balls...just the way I'm supposed to!"

I'm sorry, Kiddies but the jury is not only still "out" on this topic...we haven't even heard the evidence yet!

That would end it.

How exactly do you take responsibility for something...when you have no idea how it happened? This might not be a screw up of the New England Patriots at all. If the balls that they gave to the officials were at the very low end of the acceptable scale...or even a little below it...and were deemed acceptable by the referee...then because of use or weather conditions lost pressure over the course of the first half then I'm having a hard time seeing how THAT is a "screw-up" by the Patriots.

That's assuming of course that the referee of the game did in fact measure the balls in question correctly...something that so far nobody has shown me has been proven. We're being asked to take that as a given that he did because he said that he did. Well did he? Did he painstakingly measure the pressure of each of the 36 balls to be used in the game? Or did he simply pick up the balls and give them a squeeze test? If so is he going to admit that if a subsequent uproar ensues over ball pressure? Or is he going to say..."Yes, I tested each of the balls...just the way I'm supposed to!"

I'm sorry, Kiddies but the jury is not only still "out" on this topic...we haven't even heard the evidence yet!

It doesn't matter what really happened. What matters is getting the media off the blood trail.

Haven't you ever been married and got caught in some kind of a jam that was no way your fault but the little woman just won't let it go? And YOU being the smarter part of the partnership just smiles and says.."you are absolutely right dear".

That would end it.

It doesn't matter what really happened. What matters is getting the media off the blood trail.

Haven't you ever been married and got caught in some kind of a jam that was no way your fault but the little woman just won't let it go? And YOU being the smarter part of the partnership just smiles and says.."you are absolutely right dear".

So your wife accuses you of sleeping with her best friend...which you didn't do...but because she won't "let it go"...you smile at her and say "you are absolutely right dear"?

Tell me how that works out for ya', Huggy!

My Dad always taught me that if you did something wrong the right thing to do was to take responsibility for your actions...he also taught me that if you didn't do anything wrong the right thing was to say so. If someone doesn't want to believe you? That's THEIR problem!

Look! The Patriots were caught red handed. Saying they were not responsible is stupid. Of COURSE they were responsible. Even if a gofer crawled up in the ball bag and nibbled on 11 balls and they leaked enough air to be out of regs...THEY WERE RESPONSIBLE! Stop being so juvenile. The point is to diffuse the media's interest. ...not to prove you are right a week before the Super Bowl Game.

That would end it.

So your wife accuses you of sleeping with her best friend...which you didn't do...but because she won't "let it go"...you smile at her and say "you are absolutely right dear"?

Dunno! I'm not married any more. :lol: And it's not because of her best friend. I got rid of her because SHE was sleeping around.

Look! The Patriots were caught red handed. Saying they were not responsible is stupid. Of COURSE they were responsible. Even if a gofer crawled up in the ball bag and nibbled on 11 balls and they leaked enough air to be out of regs...THEY WERE RESPONSIBLE! Stop being so juvenile. The point is to diffuse the media's interest. ...not to prove you are right a week before the Super Bowl Game.

You don't know that the Patriots were caught red handed because you don't know the facts involved, Huggy. You've assumed them...oh, boy have you assumed them...and we all know what happens when you assume things. So stop declaring what you KNOW...when you in fact know very little!

And stop giving advice on women when you obviously aren't qualified!

That would end it.

Dunno! I'm not married any more. :lol: And it's not because of her best friend. I got rid of her because SHE was sleeping around.

I could see why, you spend all day obsessed with a football team that doesn't know you are alive and doesn't care.

Forum List

Back