Zone1 Should The Christian Bible Be Called "The Book of Opinions?"

That would be omission, not opinion.
They couldn't put all the books into one giant book. It would be too heavy to lift. A group of men asked for God's help in choosing what should go in, and which books to leave out. And God intervened on their behalf.

No, it does not.

So you're claiming some books and followers were proclaimed to be anathema, all because there were too many books to include in the Christian Bible? LOL

The Books themselves are opinions, is what I was getting at. One Apostle says one thing, and another says it differently. Some stories seem to contradict each other.

How would this god intervene? In what way?

So you're claiming some books and followers were proclaimed to be anathema, all because there were too many books to include in the Christian Bible? LOL

The Books themselves are opinions, is what I was getting at. One Apostle says one thing, and another says it differently. Some stories seem to contradict each other.

How would this god intervene? In what way?
Far from true. The other books are not considered anathemas. I don't know where you got that. If I hand you a card, and it is the 6 of spades, and I tell you that it is the six of spades, that isn't my opinion of the card. That is what the card is. When those who heard what Jesus said and wrote it down, each separate from the others, and they all say the same thing, it lends credence to what Christ said.

NOTE: oops. I hit the wrong button. Not finished writing

I am serious in asking "Should The Christian Bible Be Called "The Book of Opinions?""

I do know that the "Books" in the Bible were selected out of a larger group of books. The Synods ruled what was in and what was out.

One quote: "During the fourth century, several church synods, such as the Councils of Rome (382), Hippo (393), and Carthage (397), accepted all 27 books of the New Testament as canonical."

We have this:

The Deuterocanonical Books

Some of the Books tell different versions of a story, whereas some Books tell a story not in other Books. Is that not "opinion?"

Some self-appointed authorities got to decide. Often by brute force anathematizing or killing off those who challenged them.

Ok...this is not true.
There was an already established "cannon" of scripture including all the current books of the scriptures except for Jude by 100 AD....200 years before this synod. And Jude, a very short letter, wasn't included because it existed only in a town that was isolated from the rest and the letter was not circulated like the rest of the New Testament.

There was no debate...there was no arguing or anyone wanting anything else included or excluded that wasn't already. They all were using the exact same Bible in two different languages. One in Greek and one in Aramaic.

The books known as "along side" or currently known as apocryphal books were never considered scripture. Nobody argued in favor of them being considered cannon. They ALWAYS were considered "apocryphal". They even have their own subsection in Jewish Bibles and have no targumim (commentaries and translation from Hebrew) because nobody believed them to be scriptures.

Far from true. The other books are not considered anathemas. I don't know where you got that. If I hand you a card, and it is the 6 of spades, and I tell you that it is the six of spades, that isn't my opinion of the card. That is what the card is. When those who heard what Jesus said and wrote it down, each separate from the others, and they all say the same thing, it lends credence to what Christ said.
The Books are varying opinions. The books do not all same the same thing.

It's not that troublesome for the faithful, to believe the books are opinions. Why people like you protest so loudly and vehemently is a sign of insecurity.

In the New Testament an Anathema was a person or thing cursed or condemned by God. In the Old Testament, an Anathema was something or someone dedicated to God as a sacrifice, or cursed and separated from God because of sin.

The Books are varying opinions. The books do not all same the same thing.

It's not that troublesome for the faithful, to believe the books are opinions. Why people like you protest so loudly and vehemently is a sign of insecurity.
No...
The modern Bible is a miracle performed by God.
Hebrew was one of the first 5 written languages and yet still relevant today.
The books written in Hebrew 5,780+ years ago are still relevant, believed, and adhered to today.
There is no language still being used today that old. There is no culture preserved and active today as old as Judaism.

We don't actively read and know any books from 2,000 years ago today. Homer's Illead is not argued over like the Bible and only 4 copies of it exist.

YOUR truth is that 66 books written over a period of 3,000+ years by 40+ authors somehow conspired in perfect agreement to fool everyone into acts of altruism, kindness, long-suffering, and morality for purposes of greed and power?

Sorry....I don't have that kind of belief.

Ok...this is not true.
There was an already established "cannon" of scripture including all the current books of the scriptures except for Jude by 100 AD....200 years before this synod. And Jude, a very short letter, wasn't included because it existed only in a town that was isolated from the rest and the letter was not circulated like the rest of the New Testament.

There was no debate...there was no arguing or anyone wanting anything else included or excluded that wasn't already. They all were using the exact same Bible in two different languages. One in Greek and one in Aramaic.

The books known as "along side" or currently known as apocryphal books were never considered scripture. Nobody argued in favor of them being considered cannon. They ALWAYS were considered "apocryphal". They even have their own subsection in Jewish Bibles and have no targumim (commentaries and translation from Hebrew) because nobody believed them to be scriptures.
Considered "scripture" "apocryphal" ?

I guess the considerations were and are opinions. Weirder is they were written by some men rather than by prophets? What about the "finger of god" tales? Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic all over the place.

There was debate during Synods. From when I was involved with Orthodox Christians, I remember hearing something about Athanasius.

So out of curiosity I just now did a quickie search:

No...
The modern Bible is a miracle performed by God.
Hebrew was one of the first 5 written languages and yet still relevant today.
The books written in Hebrew 5,780+ years ago are still relevant, believed, and adhered to today.
There is no language still being used today that old. There is no culture preserved and active today as old as Judaism.

We don't actively read and know any books from 2,000 years ago today. Homer's Illead is not argued over like the Bible and only 4 copies of it exist.

YOUR truth is that 66 books written over a period of 3,000+ years by 40+ authors somehow conspired in perfect agreement to fool everyone into acts of altruism, kindness, long-suffering, and morality for purposes of greed and power?

Sorry....I don't have that kind of belief.

Miracles are a subjective view of things. I've seen just about everything described as being a religious miracle. It's all mostly nonsense to me. I long ago looked into bleeding Icons, et al.

I watched prayer circles take credit for something good, calling it a miracle, yet ignoring all the other stuff. Reminded of Jean Dixon and her predictions.

Because people believe in something does not make it true. People believe man y weird things. Look at MAGA with Q.

I don't deal with your type of "truths" or supernatural beliefs. I know many people who do think and act like you do.

"acts of altruism, kindness" are performed every day by people who are not guided by and told to do so by religious authority.

but okay, not here to debate what individuals hold as beliefs

Considered "scripture" "apocryphal" ?

I guess the considerations were and are opinions. Weirder is they were written by some men rather than by prophets? What about the "finger of god" tales? Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic all over the place.

There was debate during Synods. From when I was involved with Orthodox Christians, I remember hearing something about Athanasius.

So out of curiosity I just now did a quickie search:

Jerome had a debate with a contemporary about retranslating the Old Testament into Latin himself....
That's as close as it comes to a content debate. The apocryphal books were not really a debate among Christians....they were among Jews who argued about everything. The Apocrypha was always considered extra knowledge. They all had glaring errors and inconsistencies with scripture. But they were widely read by most Jews and therefore relevant on that fact alone. Just like today Enoch was a very popular religious fiction book that was circulating during Jesus's ministry tour. Jesus referenced it too a few times. That doesn't mean that it's scripture or believed anymore than if Jesus was on ministry tour today and referenced the Left Behind series. It just was commonly known material in the culture.

Forum List

Back