DeSantis signs controversial bill banning kids under 14 from opening social media accounts

el midgetron

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2023
“With the state preparing for a legal challenge from the tech industry, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday signed a controversial bill aimed at keeping children off social-media platforms.

“You better believe, I am going to fight like hell to uphold this in court,” Attorney General Ashley Moody said during a bill-signing event in Jacksonville.

Lawmakers this month overwhelmingly passed the bill (HB 3), which House Speaker Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast, made a priority of the annual legislative session. The bill, in part, seeks to prevent children under age 16 from opening social-media accounts on at least some platforms — though it would allow parents to give consent for 14- and 15-year-olds to have accounts. Children under 14 could not open accounts.”

Children should not have access to all social spaces.

From the article. . :eusa_think:

". . .Federal courts have blocked much of that law on First Amendment grounds. Florida took the case to the U.S. Supreme Court, which heard arguments last month but has not issued a ruling.. . . "

I'm sort of confused on two points with this.

First, there is no fine or penalty mentioned in the article which has been worked into the law, which is levied onto parents, for allowing thirteen year olds, twelve year olds, or younger from having theses account. In fact, if bad parents purposely give their kids smart devices, and let them have these types of toxic accounts, I'd say, they are more at fault then tech companies.

Second, the SCOTUS has already ruled in many H.S. cases, that student run papers, have no first Amendment rights, Nor do children have Constitutional rights, they are the charges of their parents & guardians, when kids disagree on parenting decisions based on the Constitution . . or at least this had always been my understanding.

So this article makes no sense to me.

Since when do children have Constitutional Rights?

“With the state preparing for a legal challenge from the tech industry, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday signed a controversial bill aimed at keeping children off social-media platforms.

“You better believe, I am going to fight like hell to uphold this in court,” Attorney General Ashley Moody said during a bill-signing event in Jacksonville.

Lawmakers this month overwhelmingly passed the bill (HB 3), which House Speaker Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast, made a priority of the annual legislative session. The bill, in part, seeks to prevent children under age 16 from opening social-media accounts on at least some platforms — though it would allow parents to give consent for 14- and 15-year-olds to have accounts. Children under 14 could not open accounts.”

Children shouldn't have cell phones either.

I wish the fucking fascist right would stay the living fuck out of peoples lives. I wish they gave a single fuck about individual rights and freedom as they whine about but that is just a crock of shit. They're only small government when it comes to helping people and giving a damn about people.

I have been fucking around online since I was 8 years old. ;) Taking part in science forums and yes political forums. It sharpens ones ability to think and consider the world and this would limit our childrens ability to develop such skills. DeSantis is wrong on this.

Good. I watched a video from the UK the other day, it was a quiz show and they asked "what's the age at which more than 50% of kids have a smart phone" and the answer was 7.

Absolutely ridiculous. What will happen to kids who grow up with this, then become parents? They'll be bad parents. And then those kids will be worse and worse and worse down the line.

Funny story about kids on computers and the internet.

In the late 1990s my ex-wife bought a computer. Our kids were starting high school and needed it for research and writing papers.

My ex spent the entire afternoon and evening setting up the computer with all the parental controls and passwords protecting our babies from the evils of the internet. She went to bed feeling good about it.

She woke up the next morning and there were Post-It notes all around the screen, listing all the passwords she had set up. My boys went into the programing and found everything. She figured she would just trust them.

Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all require users to be 13 to create an account anyway.

Funny story about kids on computers and the internet.

In the late 1990s my ex-wife bought a computer. Our kids were starting high school and needed it for research and writing papers.

My ex spent the entire afternoon and evening setting up the computer with all the parental controls and passwords protecting our babies from the evils of the internet. She went to bed feeling good about it.

She woke up the next morning and there were Post-It notes all around the screen, listing all the passwords she had set up. My boys went into the programing and found everything. She figured she would just trust them.
It’s not 1990.

There are some platforms that children should not be on, but that is not for the State to decide. The parents are the ones with that responsibility.

Forum List

Back