Detroit Police officer involved in shooting death of 7-year-old reinstated

williep

Apr 14, 2015
Detroit Police officer involved in shooting death of Aiyana Jones reinstated
WXYZ Detroit ABC
Apr 18, 2015

Joseph_Weekley_20130617052150_640_480.JPG

Aiyana_Jones_20111005070039_640_480.JPG

Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Fair use provisions claimed.

DETROIT (WXYZ) - The Detroit Police officer who was involved in the shooting death of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones has been reinstated, according to Detroit Police Chief James Craig.

Joseph Weekley has not been on the force since 2010 when he and a special response team stormed into a home on Detroit's east side looking for a murder suspect. At the time, the show "The First 48" was filming. Weekley said he pulled the trigger when Aiyana's grandmother bumped him.

In January, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy dismissed the charges against Weekley and said she would not seek a third trial after two previous mistrials were declared.

Detroit Police officer involved in shooting death of Aiyana Jones reinstated - WXYZ.com

The officer claims he was "bumped" (it's contested, see below) and he just happened to have his safety off and his finger on the trigger? Uh-huh. Right.

I've heard tales of "salted" juries and grand juries. I wonder if this was one of those cases?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones?
A nighttime raid. A reality TV crew. A sleeping seven-year-old. What one tragedy can teach us about the unraveling of America's middle class.

Charlie LeDuff | Mother Jones
November/December 2010 Issue

Police first floated the story that Aiyana's grandmother had grabbed Weekley's gun. Then, realizing that sounded implausible, they said she'd brushed the gun as she ran past the door. But the grandmother says she was lying on the far side of the couch, away from the door.

Compounding the tragedy is the fact that the police threw the grenade into the wrong apartment. The suspect fingered for Blake's murder, Chauncey Owens, lived in the upstairs flat, with Charles Jones' sister.

Plus, grenades are rarely used when rounding up suspects, even murder suspects. But it was dark. And TV may have needed some pyrotechnics.

"I'm worried they went Hollywood," said a high-ranking Detroit police official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the investigation and simmering resentment in the streets. "It is not protocol. And I've got to say in all my years in the department, I've never used a flash-bang in a case like this."

What Killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones Mother Jones

Make no mistake, this was first degree murder. These police knew or should have known that their conduct was likely to mame or kill......

F**k. F**k. F**k.

It's tragic that this little girl died so young... who knows what she might have done with her Life. Somebody needs to go vigilante on this pig.

Forum List

Back