Do Americans have a homegrown nobility like Europeans?

Such Titles are specifically prohibited by our constitution.

Actually, not. I spent a lot of my life thinking that they were, even though I could never find the passage that said so.

Our own governments are prohibited from granting any such titles. Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8 prohibits the federal government from issuing any such titles, while, Article I, Section 10, Paragraph 1 prohibits the states from doing so.

There's really nothing, however, to stop a foreign government from giving a title to an American citizen. There is a pending Amendment, passed by Congress in 1810, with no deadline, but it currently stands at only a dozen states having voted to ratify it. This unratified Amendment appears to be the source of the misconception that I had about there being something in the Constitution that prohibited a American citizen from accepting a foreign title of nobility. At this time, it would take twenty-six more states voting to ratify it, in order to do so.

If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive or retain, any title of nobility or honour, or shall, without the consent of Congress, accept and retain any present, pension, office or emolument of any kind whatever, from any emperor, king, prince or foreign power, such person shall cease to be a citizen of the United States, and shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them, or either of them.

What is the matter with you ?A guy makes a very basic pragmatic observation and you berate him and compare apples to elephants. Have you got chronic acid indigestion or are you always foul mouthed?

Stop white knighting, poseur.

The British, the French, the Germans and the Dutch etc. all have nobilities like duke, prince, princess, duchess etc. Americans dont have that because they descendt from pototaoe farmers and sheepherders?
Parts of the US peasantary are trying to create a king out of a fat felon who wears a wig.. They arent keen on this voting nonsense.

Forum List

Back