Do you really have faith? Or is it hope?

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
Do you really have faith in God and in an afterlife or is it hope?

"Faith" (from the latin fidere – to trust) is typically defined as a belief which expresses confidence in the truth, value, or veracity of something or someone, and is often characterized by an absence of verifiable empirical justification or logical proof.

“Hope” (OE hopian – confidence or trust) is an expression of what Husserl called “directed intentionality.” For Husserl, hope might best be understood as a confident expectation in the achievement of a desired state of affairs, and it was an example of what he called an “anticipated fulfillment of intention.”

"...faith is an expression of a current state of affairs; it represents a belief that actually exists. Yet hope is different. It is directed towards the future. Where faith expresses a fact about the present, hope is directed at a future state of affairs."

The Interrelation of Faith and Hope

The statistics of 'how religious are Israeli Jews' I put in the 'everything you wanna know about Judaism' thread was revealing. Even there, most polled don't believe in G-d, even among the very religious. They practice Judaism to varying degrees, but on some major points seem to disagree like is there an afterlife or G-d at all? I think here in the US, these kinds of numbers will be even lower.

In public, people tend to lie or exaggerate answers to these kinds of questions. But if you can give them anonymity, you'll get more honest answers. No one here is anonymous as our IDs though fabricated to one degree or another, are still how we exist relative to other users on-site.

I don't have faith in G-d at all. Wish I did, remember when younger I did, but as education goes up, I think religiousity goes down. Instead like any good scientist, I remain open to evidence and haven't made up my mind completely yet.

I do hope there's a G-d and afterlife. Can't imagine many are opposed to such an idea. Death being the complete end to experience isn't very attractive.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
I think it's easier to lose hope than it is faith. People have often become fed up with religion and/or God, and even tried to turn away from one or both...but I don't think you can force yourself to stop believing in God, just like you can't force yourself to believe in Him. People who believe can be in pain and even go into denial out of hurt and anger, but deep down they still have faith that He exists even if they choose to turn away.

Do you really have faith in God and in an afterlife or is it hope?

"Faith" (from the latin fidere – to trust) is typically defined as a belief which expresses confidence in the truth, value, or veracity of something or someone, and is often characterized by an absence of verifiable empirical justification or logical proof.

“Hope” (OE hopian – confidence or trust) is an expression of what Husserl called “directed intentionality.” For Husserl, hope might best be understood as a confident expectation in the achievement of a desired state of affairs, and it was an example of what he called an “anticipated fulfillment of intention.”

"...faith is an expression of a current state of affairs; it represents a belief that actually exists. Yet hope is different. It is directed towards the future. Where faith expresses a fact about the present, hope is directed at a future state of affairs."

The Interrelation of Faith and Hope

No man understands what faith is. Faith is the connection between God's created Word through the flesh called prophets and saints. We saints are the only one's who understands our created existence within the mind of our Creator because of the faith that our Creator established with us in His first visit to us in our mind.

Belief or hope is something that some of God's men ( created both male and female ) were given when they hear the Truth spoken to them by a saint. So faith comes before belief.

The faith that we saints have in our Creator is the connection we need to have for our Creator to teach us the past, present and future, which He has accomplished through my flesh the past five years.

The statistics of 'how religious are Israeli Jews' I put in the 'everything you wanna know about Judaism' thread was revealing. Even there, most polled don't believe in G-d, even among the very religious. They practice Judaism to varying degrees, but on some major points seem to disagree like is there an afterlife or G-d at all? I think here in the US, these kinds of numbers will be even lower.

In public, people tend to lie or exaggerate answers to these kinds of questions. But if you can give them anonymity, you'll get more honest answers. No one here is anonymous as our IDs though fabricated to one degree or another, are still how we exist relative to other users on-site.

I don't have faith in G-d at all. Wish I did, remember when younger I did, but as education goes up, I think religiousity goes down. Instead like any good scientist, I remain open to evidence and haven't made up my mind completely yet.

I do hope there's a G-d and afterlife. Can't imagine many are opposed to such an idea. Death being the complete end to experience isn't very attractive.
Well said, Delta. I agree most Christians would not overtly admit to not truly believing in God. I believe all of the universe is one great big huge pulsating expanse of consciousness like one great big huge brain and we are simply thoughts inside that consciousness and that we can tap into our higher self and become fully present in all of its glory. :)

Last edited:

although I do not often agree with you I have to admit you are incredibly honest on some issues which a lot of people like to hide under the meaningless word constructions.

Well said, Delta. I agree most Christians would not overtly admit to not truly believing in God. I believe all of the universe is one great big huge pulsating expanse of consciousness like one great big huge brain and we are simply thoughts inside that consciousness and that we can tap into our higher self and become fully present in all of its glory. :)

Interestingly I think quite the opposite - the vast majority of people know there is God and afterlife and the reason some of the atheists are so militant is they are actively fighting their own belief :D

I know a good number of religious people, many of whom express deep faith and it seems genuine to me. What their private thoughts tell them, I have no clue.

although I do not often agree with you I have to admit you are incredibly honest on some issues which a lot of people like to hide under the meaningless word constructions.

Anyone can lie. It's easy and socially acceptable. I realized a long time ago I wanted to not be like 'most people.' How better than by being honest?

Thanks.

Hebrews 11:1

King James Version (KJV)

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

I'm not a big fan of the apostle Paul, but that answers your question to some extent.

Forum List

Back