Does anyone else think the Home Run Derby is lame?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
If I'm at an MLB game I do enjoy watching batting practice hearing the sound of bat hitting ball and how much power these guys have launching balls into the upper deck. But on TV it loses all it's coolness IMO. It's just a long camera shot of the pitch and another long camera shot of the ball going in the stands over and over and over. Maybe it's just me, I think it's boring AF on TV.

It is kind of like watching an NBA dunking contest. If you're watching a baseball game where someone hits a home run or a basketball game where a player dunks the ball, it's enjoyable to see your team score like that. But just for the sake of watching a person hit balls or dunk baskets for the sole purpose of watching them do it, is frankly, monotonous, especially after the first fifteen minutes.

All all star games across every sport are lame. In my opinion they are for the kids who want to see all the stars they don't often see in games. Those who collect sport cards and of course, to reward the players for excellence.

I can't even remember when the last time was that I watched the all star game though I did watch the HR derby once in awhile when Vlady was in it.

Compared to the all star game, the HR derby is slightly more interesting as it is mano a mano.

I don't watch or follow sports, except for a once-every-four-year journey to see a live ball game. I'd rather spend my time more productively being a well-informed voter, reading, doing home projects, etc. than get all consumed with sports. Sports, social media, and pop culture are the Achilles heel of many voters, and they don't even understand the basics about government, voting, or the candidates they select.

If I'm at an MLB game I do enjoy watching batting practice hearing the sound of bat hitting ball and how much power these guys have launching balls into the upper deck. But on TV it loses all it's coolness IMO. It's just a long camera shot of the pitch and another long camera shot of the ball going in the stands over and over and over. Maybe it's just me, I think it's boring AF on TV.
finally something we agree upon!

i also think the best way to "make america great again" is to throw out the designated pitcher rule.

i do like revikews of the umpire and the technology calling balls and strikes.

It is lame when it is a player you have no vested interest in.

I like the HRD!

finally something we agree upon!

i also think the best way to "make america great again" is to throw out the designated pitcher rule.

i do like revikews of the umpire and the technology calling balls and strikes.
Just like with my Brother In Law and a couple of life long friends who are Trump haters, politics does not have to divide people. Do you mean designated hitter rule? In principle I agree but anything that keeps pitchers pitching is good. Umpire reviews are good but they take too long and should not get into frame by frame analysis. If it's THAT close, let the call stand imo. I can't wait until they bring in automatic balls and strikes. I do not buy the argument that it takes away the "framing" (a.k.a deceiving) skills of the catcher.

Just like with my Brother In Law and a couple of life long friends who are Trump haters, politics does not have to divide people. Do you mean designated hitter rule? In principle I agree but anything that keeps pitchers pitching is good. Umpire reviews are good but they take too long and should not get into frame by frame analysis. If it's THAT close, let the call stand imo. I can't wait until they bring in automatic balls and strikes. I do not buy the argument that it takes away the "framing" (a.k.a deceiving) skills of the catcher.
i'll have to think about that framing thing,

i don't watch a lot of baseball, maybe if the braves are playing and i'm not busy. thehome run derby might be a chance for the casual fan to see the other team's big sluggers?

"its about the kids"

All all star games across every sport are lame. In my opinion they are for the kids who want to see all the stars they don't often see in games. Those who collect sport cards and of course, to reward the players for excellence.

I can't even remember when the last time was that I watched the all star game though I did watch the HR derby once in awhile when Vlady was in it.

Compared to the all star game, the HR derby is slightly more interesting as it is mano a mano.
I don't disagree, but I must say one of my best childhood memories was watching the 1969 All-Star game at RFK stadium. So many legendary players on the field at one time, it was truly magical to see that as a kid.

I can't argue with that. For some reason it seems slightly less lame than the NBA all-star game or the UGH NFL pro bowl, but that again is jmo.
The pro bowl in the NFL is the most lame of them all,they used to do it the correct way waiting till a week after the Super Bowl was over to have the probowl thay way the best of the best players that year would be in the pro bowl,now having it one week before the superbowl is just plain asinine and idiotic a complete waste of time the fact you don’t see the most talented and most deserving players in the game anymore.how many pro bowls is Mahomes ,Kelce and Chris jones who are pretty much the best in their positions going to miss the pro bowl now? It’s pointless having it now the way it’s set up.:uhoh3:

As far as the home run derby,I find it more exciting than the all star game the fact players now treat it like a vacation instead of going all out like it’s the world series and it means something like the good old days,gone are the good days with players like Pete rose plowing into ray fosse to score the winning run,you won’t see players play the game with passion like that anymore.

Forum List

Back