Does God Want Us Dead Or Alive?

It's blasphemy to claim that you know what God wants.

But apparently GOD doesn't much care, given how many people think they speak for him.

No one is claiming anything, because there is no need to claim anything. The Bible, which Christians believe is the Word of God has already told us what the Will of God is?
So, we know what God wants from His own Word, just as we can determine what you want by what you say?
But if you do not believe the Bible is the Word of God, that is a whole new debate, that has no end and this is not the thread for it?

But apparently GOD doesn't much care, given how many people think they speak for him.

No one is claiming anything, because there is no need to claim anything. The Bible, which Christians believe is the Word of God has already told us what the Will of God is?
So, we know what God wants from His own Word, just as we can determine what you want by what you say?
But if you do not believe the Bible is the Word of God, that is a whole new debate, that has no end and this is not the thread for it?

I disagree. We could study the Bible all our lives and without the Holy Spirit to teach us, we would be no closer to understanding the will of God. The scriptures are tools to help us know the Will of God, but ultimate knowledge of God's will comes from Him.

I know the will of God sometimes. When He reveals it to me. There are other times that I don't. That's because He hasn't revealed it to me. I can look at the scriptures, and probably deduce some things based on what the scriptures say, but actuall knowledge comes from God. He's the only original source.

I disagree. We could study the Bible all our lives and without the Holy Spirit to teach us, we would be no closer to understanding the will of God. The scriptures are tools to help us know the Will of God, but ultimate knowledge of God's will comes from Him.

I know the will of God sometimes. When He reveals it to me. There are other times that I don't. That's because He hasn't revealed it to me. I can look at the scriptures, and probably deduce some things based on what the scriptures say, but actuall knowledge comes from God. He's the only original source.

You are absolutely correct about how the Holy Spirit helps us understand the Word of God, but on this forum, not everyone that calls themselves a Christian is familiar with the Holy Spirit or filled with the Holy Spirit, so I avoid being too technical and prefer to speak in terms that everyone can easily understand?
Biblically speaking, every Christian should be filled with the Holy Spirit and know how he operates, but that is not the case, so we have to bear that in mind, when talking about the Holy Spirit?
Many people who proudly call themselves Christians, are not familiar with the Holy Spirit and issues surrounding Him?
So, yes the Holy Spirit is our guide in fully understanding the scriptures, but everyone isn't on the same page in these matters.

Who told you that nonsense? Anyone can know what God wants. They just need to ask Him. Or study the Scripture He has given us.

Quite clearly, there is no such consensus about what the gods want. As there are more than 200 sects / subdivisions of Christianity – many of those at odds with each other over doctrine – your comment self-refutes.

Assuming that one believes that GOD exists and cares?

OBVIOUSLY using that logic, GOD wants us alive, until he doesn't.

Who told you that nonsense? Anyone can know what God wants. They just need to ask Him. Or study the Scripture He has given us.

Quite clearly, there is no such consensus about what the gods want. As there are more than 200 sects / subdivisions of Christianity – many of those at odds with each other over doctrine – your comment self-refutes.

Yep.

All of the opposing schools of thought among the various sects were based on the interpretations and/or claims to 'divine revelation' of people who "ask[ed] Him" for guidance and "stud[ied] the Scripture He has given us". But then, I guess contradictory conclusions should be expected from folks that appeal to invisible beings (and the voices in their heads) for guidance...

I feel sure Editech is referring to people who are in some sort of rational balance and non delusional .
However , I have always found the bulk of Christians , for example , to be moderate people who might talk and threaten nonsense , but , by and large , make a great deal of noise that leads to no great consequence . As such they can be quite pleasant acquaintances --- in small doses . And they tend to pay their taxes and be PC members of society .
Basically harmless .

2 Corinthians 13:1 - By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.

According to the Bible, the Will of God is established, if two or more scriptures say the same thing?
The Will of God is not determined by what any denomination or sect says, but by what the Word of God says, in more than two instances?
The Will of God is never determined by any denominational or sectarian consensus? And neither is the Will of God determined by public opinion, but only from the testimony of two or more scriptures in the Bible?
Can every denomination or sect provide more than two scriptures, that support what they claim to believe? Where is the chapter and verse that backs up their doctrine?

John 10:10 - The thief(devil) comes, to steal, kill and destroy. But I(Jesus) came, that you may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows.

Should we believe, what Jesus Christ, the head of Biblical Christianity said or should we believe, what the denominations or sects say, who claim to believe in Jesus Christ, but contradict what Jesus said?
Can any denomination or sect provide a single scripture, where God promised death or a short life to those who believe in Him?

Deuteronomy 5:33 - Walk in all the way, that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live ........and prolong your days in the land ....

Whose word should we believe? God or the denominations and sects? Or should we believe public opinion or consensus?
Are the opinions of the denominations or sects supported by any scriptures? Can they give us chapter and verse?
How many denominations or sects provide chapter and verse of what they believe?

1 kings 3:14 - And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes .......... I(God) will give you a long life.

Where are the chapters and verses, where God promised His people a short life or death?

Proverbs 3:1-2 - My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my words in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years.

Does anyone know a single chapter and verse in the Bible, where God promised a short life or death, to those who believe in Him?

Proverbs 10:27 - The fear of the Lord prolongs life ..........

Does believing in God shorten or prolong your life?

Psalm 91:16 - With long life, will I(God) satisfy him......

Did God promise to sastisfy us, with a short life or a long life?

Deuteronomy 30:19 - This day, I(God) call heaven and earth as witnesses against you, that I have set before you, life and death ......... Now(you) choose life, so that you and your children may live .......

If God wanted us dead, why did He instruct us to choose life? And where are the scriptures to the contrary?
Can any denomination or sect, give you scriptures, that contradict the above?

Hosea 4:6 - My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge(of My Word)

If God says, His people are destroyed by their lack of knowledge of His Word, is God behind the death and destruction in the world?

1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary, the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour(kill)

If the Bible warns us against being victimized by the devil, is God responsible for our victimization?

Last edited:
Perhaps God has want of nothing. Things are as God devised, without 'want' as humans experience it.

Of course, if one does not believe in God, then the answer is, "Hey, I ordered a Coke!"

1 Corinthians 14:33 - For He is not a God of confusion and disorder......

God cannot be both pro-life and pro-death at the same time, because that would be confusion and disorder? He can't be opposites?
And if God was pro-death, why did he give us life? If God didn't want us alive, He wouldn't have bothered creating us?

Forum List

Back