Does how you dress affect how you're treated?

Cookie

Jul 4, 2013
I just read an article by a black, female who was trying to make the point that blacks are judged by how they are dressed. She wrote that she had to wear "church clothes" everyday - and encouraged her children to do the same - because if they don't, they are treated differently. Her non-black friend complained that she took too long to get ready for a casual shopping trip. She replied that if she "threw on jeans and t-shirt" like her friend then sales people would ignore her or worse - follow her around and be too friendly - never giving her a moment to just browse.

She extends this premise to her children and says that depending on how they are dressed, it might save their life one day.

I say that this isn't a race issue. I know I'm treated differently based on the way I'm dressed when I go shopping.

I also say that all teenagers are slightly suspect and no matter how they are dressed, if the attempt to intimidate someone or if they start to be violent, then they can expect people will react accordingly.

EVERYONE is judged by how they dress...it's just one aspect of appearance.

Given the cultural obsession with looking thin, having perfect teeth, perfect hair, it's not at all surprising that clothing is part of the equation.

I certainly notice that I am treated differently when wearing an expensive suit as compared to jeans and a t-shirt.

It depends on where you are and who you're with. I can put on a suit and tie and sit in on a board meeting during the day, then change into jeans and sweatshirt and party my guts out at an AC/DC concert that night. AND I LIKE IT!

Absolutely. Everyone is judged by how they are dressed. Black people must want some sort of dispensation so they aren't judged like everyone else is judged.

I just read an article by a black, female who was trying to make the point that blacks are judged by how they are dressed. She wrote that she had to wear "church clothes" everyday - and encouraged her children to do the same - because if they don't, they are treated differently. Her non-black friend complained that she took too long to get ready for a casual shopping trip. She replied that if she "threw on jeans and t-shirt" like her friend then sales people would ignore her or worse - follow her around and be too friendly - never giving her a moment to just browse.

She extends this premise to her children and says that depending on how they are dressed, it might save their life one day.

I say that this isn't a race issue. I know I'm treated differently based on the way I'm dressed when I go shopping.

I also say that all teenagers are slightly suspect and no matter how they are dressed, if the attempt to intimidate someone or if they start to be violent, then they can expect people will react accordingly.

i got news for you..... how you dress no matter what color you are will effect how sales people treat you...

its not about race.

You are not going to get a job walking around with your pants down around your
knees and your underwear all out there.

Cloths make the man

Dress for success

Jacket and tie required

anyone that thinks everyone is judged by how they dress is a liar.

Yeah, if my son sagged his pants and showed his boxers to the world, I would expect salespeople in stores to treat him like a punk.

i got news for you..... how you dress no matter what color you are will effect how sales people treat you...

its not about race.

Perfectly stated. Wish I could rep you.....:) Look how close you are to a milestone...:D

Being in sales for years, I can tell you it is very important how I AM PERCEIVED, as I treat all others the same. But I CAN smell a wallet with many credit cards...:lol:

When I was in grad school, I worked for a few months in an art gallery.

The sales reps told a story about a dirty bum with a brown paper bag they had kicked out of the gallery a few months before I started. He ended up going to a gallery down the street and spending $100,000 on some art; he was carrying his cash in the paper bag.

One can use one's outfits as a disguise...quite useful at times.

Last edited:
There was a special years ago about turning a beta male into an alpha. it was before make over shows were popular.

one scene, they had him go to a nice diner, with a reservation, wearing some kinda blue jump suit. They couldn't find his reservation, didn't have the wine he wanted, was sat 90 mins later nest to the kitchen, so close that his chair got bumped when the door opened.

3 days later

tight hair cut and a killer suit, same place, no reservation, the waitress asked him, immediately, where he wanted to sit, and flirted non-stop

same guy, judged by the cloths he wore

You manner of dress will dictate how your are received, perceived and respected in accordance with the ceremony, circumstance and setting for which your are dressed. A top hat and tails will not do well when the the reason for your presence is good old fashioned hard work nor will overalls do at a wedding unless the invitation dictates that is appropriate. It ain't about color, religion or politics; it is about style and self respect.

(as my avatar clearly demonstrates)

Yeah, if my son sagged his pants and showed his boxers to the world, I would expect salespeople in stores to treat him like a punk.

Living in the PNW, in a tourist town, I have learned to judge a customer more by how clean they look, rather than their style of clothes. People come to tourist towns looking relaxed and casual and I have found it wise, never to judge. Their style of behavior can tell me much, also.

When people discriminate it's not always about race. It's best to be aware that while first impressions may be lasting they can also be deceiving.

Does how you dress affect how you're treated? Is the Pope Catholic? Do Bears crap in the woods?
Three questions that you don't have to ask, the answers are a given.

When people discriminate it's not always about race. It's best to be aware that while first impressions may be lasting they can also be deceiving.

I was dining with a friend at a wonderful, and ambient waterfront restaurant. A man with a beard and VERY long, down his back, stringy, grey thining hair with a shirt hanging out over his faded jeans, walked by, bent over, picked something up off the floor and continued walking. I thought he looked as if his home would be under a local bridge. I asked our server what that strange looking man with the butt floss picked up off the floor and she said, "oh! that's the owner, from Portland. He owns 3 of these great restaurants....:eek: :eek: :eek:

That experience taught me a lesson....

Yes, of course we are all prejudged by how we're dressed, how we talk, how we write -- just as we're prejudged by the color of our skin.

Its just the way it is.

This reminds me - I've got an interview on Monday.
Haven't been interviewed in 35 years LOL.

I'm thinking of wearing slacks, long-sleeved shirt, and a tie. No jacket.
I wanna look nice, but casual.

Forum List

Back