Does how you dress affect how you're treated?

This reminds me - I've got an interview on Monday.
Haven't been interviewed in 35 years LOL.

I'm thinking of wearing slacks, long-sleeved shirt, and a tie. No jacket.
I wanna look nice, but casual.

Good choice. Sure you do well.

It doesn't seem how we dress matters as much as it used to. I worked at IBM for 10 years starting in the late 70s. I am a woman, but I wore business suits to work every day, and skirts, not slacks.

Now I notice that office workers are much more casual. I work in a business office, but we wear slacks and shirts, not suits. We can even wear jeans.

Going out to dinner, or to the theater, you see the whole gamut, from grubby jeans to suits and ties. Of course, this is Alaska, and we are known for our casual dress. I love going to the opera here, there are people in evening gowns and people in shorts and t-shirts! :) Same with the nicer restaurants.

I've also noticed that some of the wealthiest people put on the least pretense. I have met people who were so casual I was surprised to find out later that they were very wealthy. They don't feel the need to impress the waiters at a restaurant by dressing up, for example. The waiters are there to take care of them. Also, it isn't that big a deal for them to spend several hundred dollars on a dinner, so it's not like a big occasion for them and they don't feel the need to dress up.

I like it the way it is here...I have tended to dress up to go to opening night at the opera, for example, make my husband wear his tux. : ) But it's nice to do it because you want to, not because you have to.

Make sure and let us know how it goes. Your choice of clothes sounds good. Remember to be yourself! : )

When people discriminate it's not always about race. It's best to be aware that while first impressions may be lasting they can also be deceiving.

I was dining with a friend at a wonderful, and ambient waterfront restaurant. A man with a beard and VERY long, down his back, stringy, grey thining hair with a shirt hanging out over his faded jeans, walked by, bent over, picked something up off the floor and continued walking. I thought he looked as if his home would be under a local bridge. I asked our server what that strange looking man with the butt floss picked up off the floor and she said, "oh! that's the owner, from Portland. He owns 3 of these great restaurants....:eek: :eek: :eek:

That experience taught me a lesson....

Yes, indeed...I have been taught that same lesson. : )

Good choice. Sure you do well.

Make sure and let us know how it goes. Your choice of clothes sounds good. Remember to be yourself! : )

Thanks, you two. I'm rep-depleted LOL.

I'm just looking to supplement my income. The kid has 5 years of school ahead of her and Mrs. H. is out of work. I don't doubt that I could run this entire concern, but I have to start somewhere. It's half-time, and Admin assist is fine by me. I was flattered they even gave me a call back. Who wants to hire a 58 year old male these days? :lol:

Dress for success. That's only half of the equation. The other half is attitude. How you comport yourself. Self-confidence, but not cockiness. Throw in some respect and humility... it's a winning formula. One that works no matter what your race.

When people discriminate it's not always about race. It's best to be aware that while first impressions may be lasting they can also be deceiving.

If you see the world through black colored glasses it is always about race.

What you are wearing is not as important as is what you are wearing is clean and tidy.

What is important is how you present yourself... do you speak english or gangsta ghettoneese? Do you walk with confidence or are you shifty?

The ONLY thing sales people are nice to is the color of your credit card

I recall when I was meeting a client at the home of his attorney. The home was a condo in the Wilshire Corridor. The building was first class. I was to announce myself to the concierge and wait in the lobby. I had been clued in that the client, who I had not yet met, was a billionaire who had started his fortune with a string of titty bars.

I noticed a bum sitting in the lobby with a mangy looking dog at his feet. I just knew that was the client. Sixth sense. I just knew it. The poor man was dressed in rags. Holes in his pants, loose soles on his shoes and a denim jacket that had seen better days. The concierge came over and asked the man to wait at the back door where deliveries came in. The bum was gracious and moved without complaint. When the attorney finally came downstairs he chewed that concierge a new one for telling such an important client to wait at the back door.

Would the client have been as cooperative if he was black?

What you are wearing is not as important as is what you are wearing is clean and tidy.

What is important is how you present yourself... do you speak english or gangsta ghettoneese? Do you walk with confidence or are you shifty?

The ONLY thing sales people are nice to is the color of your credit card

Don't you dare question gangsta or ghettoneese or shifty shit, you racist whore.

EVERYONE is judged by how they dress...it's just one aspect of appearance.

Given the cultural obsession with looking thin, having perfect teeth, perfect hair, it's not at all surprising that clothing is part of the equation.

I certainly notice that I am treated differently when wearing an expensive suit as compared to jeans and a t-shirt.

If you have long hair, tattoos and piercings, you will be treated like a criminal. Dress in a suit and everyone falls over themselves to help you out.

Thing is, its the people who look like criminals who are actually the nicest folk to be around.

Pegged pants were a popular style back in the '50s. A conservative pair of slacks with slightly pegged cuffs were subtle and attracted no attention, but slacks with a tighter peg and a high rise (extension above the belt line) were common with street-corner (thug) types and probably were the fifties White-boy equivalent of today's "hoodie" which is very popular with adolescent Black gang-bangers.

235px-Zootsuit2.jpg

I recall my brother secretly buying himself a pair of tan pegged pants when he started dating a girl he'd met. Our mother found them and cut them in half. She called them "hoodlum pants" and I do recall that being the general impression of most adults back then.

It doesn't seem how we dress matters as much as it used to. I worked at IBM for 10 years starting in the late 70s. I am a woman, but I wore business suits to work every day, and skirts, not slacks.

Now I notice that office workers are much more casual. I work in a business office, but we wear slacks and shirts, not suits. We can even wear jeans.

Going out to dinner, or to the theater, you see the whole gamut, from grubby jeans to suits and ties. Of course, this is Alaska, and we are known for our casual dress. I love going to the opera here, there are people in evening gowns and people in shorts and t-shirts! :) Same with the nicer restaurants.

I've also noticed that some of the wealthiest people put on the least pretense. I have met people who were so casual I was surprised to find out later that they were very wealthy. They don't feel the need to impress the waiters at a restaurant by dressing up, for example. The waiters are there to take care of them. Also, it isn't that big a deal for them to spend several hundred dollars on a dinner, so it's not like a big occasion for them and they don't feel the need to dress up.

I like it the way it is here...I have tended to dress up to go to opening night at the opera, for example, make my husband wear his tux. : ) But it's nice to do it because you want to, not because you have to.

I live in Arizona. It's extremely casual around here. We have four-star restaurants in town, and people go to them in jeans and cowboy boots. And given our extended summers, scanty casual clothing is the norm most of the time.

That being said, people here are still judged by their appearance and how they're dressed, just as they are everywhere. There's a big difference between the way I dress in shorts and a t-shirt and the way a lot of younger women around here do it, and they produce different reactions.

Does how you dress affect how you're treated?

I'm not a Republican. I don't wear a "dress".

giuliani_drag.jpg

bush-in-drag-chearleader-andover400.jpg

Pegged pants were a popular style back in the '50s. A conservative pair of slacks with slightly pegged cuffs were subtle and attracted no attention, but slacks with a tighter peg and a high rise (extension above the belt line) were common with street-corner (thug) types and probably were the fifties White-boy equivalent of today's "hoodie" which is very popular with adolescent Black gang-bangers.

235px-Zootsuit2.jpg

I recall my brother secretly buying himself a pair of tan pegged pants when he started dating a girl he'd met. Our mother found them and cut them in half. She called them "hoodlum pants" and I do recall that being the general impression of most adults back then.

images

Jerry Rivers hates thugs wearing hoodies.

I just read an article by a black, female who was trying to make the point that blacks are judged by how they are dressed. She wrote that she had to wear "church clothes" everyday - and encouraged her children to do the same - because if they don't, they are treated differently. Her non-black friend complained that she took too long to get ready for a casual shopping trip. She replied that if she "threw on jeans and t-shirt" like her friend then sales people would ignore her or worse - follow her around and be too friendly - never giving her a moment to just browse.

She extends this premise to her children and says that depending on how they are dressed, it might save their life one day.

I say that this isn't a race issue. I know I'm treated differently based on the way I'm dressed when I go shopping.

I also say that all teenagers are slightly suspect and no matter how they are dressed, if the attempt to intimidate someone or if they start to be violent, then they can expect people will react accordingly.

i got news for you..... how you dress no matter what color you are will effect how sales people treat you... its not about race.

When you live in the city center, even in Salt Lake City, you see those whose race, gender, ethnicity, etc., transcends what is considered appropriate normal wear. All of them are treated generally the same by those who appear hygienic and decently attired.

It's common sense: one takes a shower, grooms adequately, and does not go to a job interview in shorts and a million obvious tats and piercings.

Last edited:
I just read an article by a black, female who was trying to make the point that blacks are judged by how they are dressed. She wrote that she had to wear "church clothes" everyday - and encouraged her children to do the same - because if they don't, they are treated differently. Her non-black friend complained that she took too long to get ready for a casual shopping trip. She replied that if she "threw on jeans and t-shirt" like her friend then sales people would ignore her or worse - follow her around and be too friendly - never giving her a moment to just browse.

She extends this premise to her children and says that depending on how they are dressed, it might save their life one day.

I say that this isn't a race issue. I know I'm treated differently based on the way I'm dressed when I go shopping.

I also say that all teenagers are slightly suspect and no matter how they are dressed, if the attempt to intimidate someone or if they start to be violent, then they can expect people will react accordingly.

Definitely, people are judged by how they are dressed. I think it may be a race issue in the sense that some people have to be better than the average to get the same treatment. For example, in the work place, a woman may have to work harder and be better just to be treated on an equal footing as a man. Or less 'attractive' people might have to work harder at being attractive than those who are naturally attractive in order to get the same amount of attention. In America, for a black person, I believe they often have to make more of an effort to be accepted on the same level as a white person just because they are black. I think if a lot of white people would just walk in the shoes of a black person for a few days, they'd 'get' it.

Forum List

Back