Does the waitress deserve to be stiffed?

If I waited an hour for my food after ordering I doubt I'd leave a tip either. Sounds like the establishment needs to address wait times
It does, but the waitress depends on tips to survive and can't control kitchen help, nor does she make management decisions.

A tip isn't about the restaurant, it's about the waitress.

Sorry, she's part of the business. If the kitchen was backed up she should have conveyed that to the customers, if it wasn't she should have found out why the order was taking so long. I'd never wait for an hour after ordering and probably would have left
She did tell the customers that the kitchen was backed up.
"they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal. "
I may have paid my bar tab and left as well, but I wouldn't blame the waitress for things she can't control.
Many restaurants split tips with the kitchen staff.

I would expect the waitress to be on top of the order, and to let us know if the kitchen was running behind. The waitress is not a passive observer - her job is to properly set expectations and to provide SERVICE.
From OP:
they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal.

And your point is? That's what I expect from a waitress. We only know the waitress' POV. "A bit busier than usual" is not code for "you're going to be waiting an hour until you get your food".

An hour wait after placing an order is excessive. If it were that long, I would also expect the hostess to let me know that before even being seated.

Last edited:
Belmar diners leave waitress taunting note and no tip

On Aug. 17, Jess Jones of Belmar, a 2013 Manasquan High School graduate, was waiting on a party of eight people at the landmark restaurant and night club on Ocean Avenue. After the $112.03 bill was paid for by credit card, Jones discovered that her customers had left her no tip. Instead, the texting acronym "LOL" — for laughing out loud — was written on the tip line of the receipt next to the words, "1 hour for food."

Last night, I was stunned by this receipt that was left for me by a party of eight people," Jones wrote. "I would have preferred a '$0' tip than a 'LOL' tip, but as a waitress, bad tips and harsh notes are all part of the job. Even though they did wait an hour to eat, they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal. I've worked in the service industry for five years and I take pride in providing great service to my customers."

How is a patron supposed to show their dissatisfaction with waiting an hour for food?
Does a waitress deserve $20 for service that was unsatisfactory to the customer? Who should be accountable?

You do realize that the waitress can only serve the food the kitchen puts out

Seems to me the cooks were responsible.

If it were me I would have voiced my displeasure to the manager and would have demanded a reduced meal price and I still would have tipped the waitress if she was gracious and polite after all it wasn't her fault

The waitress is part of the establishment. She does well when the establishment does well and she does poorly when the establishment is doing poorly. She needs to go to management and tell them she is losing tip money because the serve times are so long

The customer is already having a bad experience, why should they have to hunt down a manager? Why can't the waitress say.....These people had to wait over an hour, what can we offer them?

Why can't you go to the manager yourself?

Or do you need everyone else to do shit for you?

This is yet another whingefest by some overly sensitive person who can't handle feedback.

On Aug. 17, Jess Jones of Belmar, a 2013 Manasquan High School graduate, was waiting on a party of eight people at the landmark restaurant and night club on Ocean Avenue. After the $112.03 bill was paid for by credit card, Jones discovered that her customers had left her no tip. Instead, the texting acronym "LOL" — for laughing out loud — was written on the tip line of the receipt next to the words, "1 hour for food."

Last night, I was stunned by this receipt that was left for me by a party of eight people," Jones wrote. "I would have preferred a '$0' tip than a 'LOL' tip, but as a waitress, bad tips and harsh notes are all part of the job. Even though they did wait an hour to eat, they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal. I've worked in the service industry for five years and I take pride in providing great service to my customers."

How is a patron supposed to show their dissatisfaction with waiting an hour for food?
Does a waitress deserve $20 for service that was unsatisfactory to the customer? Who should be accountable?

I would have probably given her a small one. But she is in no way entitled to one.

That's the problem with the restaurant business. They think they are owed tips no matter what. They aren't.

Last edited:

If it were me I would have voiced my displeasure to the manager and would have demanded a reduced meal price and I still would have tipped the waitress if she was gracious and polite after all it wasn't her fault

The waitress is part of the establishment. She does well when the establishment does well and she does poorly when the establishment is doing poorly. She needs to go to management and tell them she is losing tip money because the serve times are so long

The customer is already having a bad experience, why should they have to hunt down a manager? Why can't the waitress say.....These people had to wait over an hour, what can we offer them?

Yes, I do

The person who is expecting to be paid for service should do that shit for me.

Yes, I do

Pathetic

I'm willing to bet those assholes didn't even say anything to the waitress and they just sat there with pusses on their faces

Yes, I do

Next you'll expect them to bus your table!

If I waited an hour for my food after ordering I doubt I'd leave a tip either. Sounds like the establishment needs to address wait times
It does, but the waitress depends on tips to survive and can't control kitchen help, nor does she make management decisions.

Sorry, she's part of the business. If the kitchen was backed up she should have conveyed that to the customers, if it wasn't she should have found out why the order was taking so long. I'd never wait for an hour after ordering and probably would have left
"they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal. "
I may have paid my bar tab and left as well, but I wouldn't blame the waitress for things she can't control.

A bit busier than normal isn't an hour wait. It's a whatever, but no way should it take an hour to get an order out.
It depends... You'd never wait even 3 minutes for a cocktail at Doc's, but there are places down at the beach where you might wait an hour to get a table.
Sometimes you just get swamped. If a wait for seating is normal, you can staff your place to keep up, but an abnormal surge? Hell! I've jumped behind the bar and served beers and washed glasses when I had other things to do, but normally, I'm slightly over-staffed.

A bit busier than normal isn't an hour wait. It's a whatever, but no way should it take an hour to get an order out.
It depends... You'd never wait even 3 minutes for a cocktail at Doc's, but there are places down at the beach where you might wait an hour to get a table.
Sometimes you just get swamped. If a wait for seating is normal, you can staff your place to keep up, but an abnormal surge? Hell! I've jumped behind the bar and served beers and washed glasses when I had other things to do, but normally, I'm slightly over-staffed.

We have a few establishments we go to on a regular basis and I don't recall ever waiting an hour to receive our order, I can't imagine listening to and keeping the kids occupied for that long.

The waitresses tip should come out of the manager's pocket.

The waitresses tip should come out of the manager's pocket.

I agree

Why was her internet gripe about unsatisfied customers and not that her managers are costing her money?

Completely absent from the op was the behavior of the waitress. Maybe the long wait was not her fault, but how did she act? Was she a total **** or what?

It has to be pretty shitty service for me not to leave a tip. Ok will cause me to leave 20%. Spectacular service and I will exceed 20%. I can only remember one time when I did not leave a tip at all, and that was at this shady little beaner joint when I was being waited on during a late lunch by the owner.

I do not mind shafting a coont (get it?), but I generally have sympathy for these bitches waiting tables. They have to deal with the worst shit - people wanting something. Thus, I usually over-tip relative to other people.

People who regularly do not tip are usually Democrats. Not all Democrats fail to tip, mind you. But most non-tipping cheap bastards vote Dem. Blacks are notorious for not tipping (I have banged enough waitresses to know that this is a common complaint).

Sometimes places get busy, an hour wait happens. At OUR place, if you order and an hour as gone by and your meal isn't ready, we provide a free appetizer of your choice.

Of course our waitstaff is also paid the prevailing wage and don't rely on tips as well.

The wait staff has very little control when it comes to ticket times. Taking it out on the server is a lame excuse to not tip. I would have added gratuity to that party in a hot second.

I would have tried to wiggle a free dessert out of the manager, but I would have tipped the waitress, and let the manager know their kitchen times suck.

As long as she kept our drinks filled and stuff I would have still left her a tip. Servers can't control a kitchen fuck up. Complain to the manager, maybe get something comped off of your bill, but don't stiff the server.

Sometimes places get busy, an hour wait happens. At OUR place, if you order and an hour as gone by and your meal isn't ready, we provide a free appetizer of your choice.

Of course our waitstaff is also paid the prevailing wage and don't rely on tips as well.

Absolutely

It should be a common practice to take care of your customers. Do they need to stand up and scream to get satisfaction? A manager should know his kitchen is way behind. HE should be going to the tables to apologize and offer free drinks, appetizers or a discount on your bill

We have a few establishments we go to on a regular basis and I don't recall ever waiting an hour to receive our order, I can't imagine listening to and keeping the kids occupied for that long.
When mine were small, I'd never take them to any place that could possibly take an hour to get your food.
These days, we can sit and talk and enjoy a couple cocktails and consider the wait well worth it.
My daughter was down for a visit for my birthday last month. We went to a very popular spot on the beach. We were seated in about 15 minutes and waited just under an hour for our food. We had a great conversation about something we really needed to talk about. We both enjoyed ourselves. I paid the tab and added about 25% to a $120 tab. My daughter left another 20 in cash.

When mine were small, I'd never take them to any place that could possibly take an hour to get your food.
These days, we can sit and talk and enjoy a couple cocktails and consider the wait well worth it.
My daughter was down for a visit for my birthday last month. We went to a very popular spot on the beach. We were seated in about 15 minutes and waited just under an hour for our food. We had a great conversation about something we really needed to talk about. We both enjoyed ourselves. I paid the tab and added about 25% to a $120 tab. My daughter left another 20 in cash.

I used to work for a restaurant that would give the kids carrot sticks and a small ramekin of light ranch for dipping. The kiddie appetizer was a big hit with both the parents and children. It was just a brilliant touch.

Forum List

Back