Dogs as emotional support animals?

It's taken a couple of months but I've come to the conclusion that yes, my dog was my close friend, I rescued him at 4 weeks old and he placed his life in my hands. He may also have been my emotional support without me knowing. He gave me purpose which is lost since my wife and I parted. He was definitely critical for me when our separation first occurred.

It goes beyond that though. Humans are deeply flawed. For someone like myself who deems courage and loyalty so high on the human hierarchy, ironically dogs are ideal to have around as they so closely represent these two core characteristics. If you're having a bad day or have to run errands, you feel so much better when you walk through the door and your dog is whining excitedly and wagging his tail, so happy that you are home.

Believing a pup gave you emotional support is a quaint notion. It's actually what we do to ourselves. Caring for my pup helped me deal with some pretty bad shit. But the pup had no idea. I was his meal ticket, picked up his poop...

I can't even express it. The memories are difficult, especially the last gaze we shared. I feel I betrayed him and it eats me alive.
Then you need to realize it's not all about you. Putting a pup down is an act of courage and mercy. How we feel of course about it comes from inside ourselves.

Death is a part of life. The life cycle. Cherish time spent/memories and move away from wallowing in self-absorbed bs

My pup was famous in a few neighborhoods. Many people knew his name and not mine. So you are shit-talkin' again.

I remember messing with people on the idea that Dogs understood language LOL

My dog knew the reference for dozens of words, maybe north of 100. I spoke to him often and taught him the reference for unique words from the time he was 4 weeks old, when I would mention words he would react in a manner that told me he understood what I was referring to.

For instance, "hey buddy what's on your ear"? He would look at me somewhat puzzled and then turn his head to expose his ear to me.

This is because I taught him what his eye and my eye meant. Same with his ear, his nose, of course his paws etc. Just his body alone he knew a great deal.

He even understood abstractions. Like all dogs, he knew what "walk" meant. He also knew other abstract words as he would respond accordingly.

Sure, he can't speak the language, but like many smart dogs he knew words. If used in a sentence he knew the reference of that specific word.

^^^^^Why we can't allow you people to win^^^^^^
Please. Take the snowflake shit and can it. No one I knew ever loved their pup ore than I loved mine. But unlike most pet owners/companions of pups, I never played the dumb emotional games.

And btw, my pup could and did go on alert when people had cancer or kidney disease. That sense of smell. Said males can smell a bitch in heat blocks away.

My dog knew the reference for dozens of words, maybe north of 100. I spoke to him often and taught him the reference for unique words from the time he was 4 weeks old, when I would mention words he would react in a manner that told me he understood what I was referring to.

For instance, "hey buddy what's on your ear"? He would look at me somewhat puzzled and then turn his head to expose his ear to me.

This is because I taught him what his eye and my eye meant. Same with his ear, his nose, of course his paws etc. Just his body alone he knew a great deal.

He even understood abstractions. Like all dogs, he knew what "walk" meant. He also knew other abstract words as he would respond accordingly.

Sure, he can't speak the language, but like many smart dogs he knew words. If used in a sentence he knew the reference of that specific word.
I used to tell my pup I was gonna put him asleep. He'd wag his tail and get all happy. LOL People would freak a little.

It was tone of voice and other cues we usually do not consciously pay attention to. I trained the pup and the pup of a few others.

I used to tell my pup I was gonna put him asleep. He'd wag his tail and get all happy. LOL People would freak a little.

It was tone of voice and other cues we usually do not consciously pay attention to. I trained the pup and the pup of a few others.

I have no idea what you're talking about but if it is about putting your dog down than your just a common A-hole. We have many of those in Canada too you're not unique.

I have no idea what you're talking about but if it is about putting your dog down than your just a common A-hole. We have many of those in Canada too you're not unique.
I would show people that the pup didn't understand words. HE understood something else, intonations of speech and more.

An I may be an A-hole to people like you, but pups love me. I gave up more for my pup than I've seen some people do for children. I gave lots of thought before I rescued him. I made promises to myself, not to the pup.

I never ever anthropomorphized things

Dogs are pretty amazing.

They can be trained to tell when a diabetic is getting too low and alert them.

This Friday I am doing a charity golf scramble for a local group that provides support dogs to veterans. I do not normally like to do these things as I am an impatient golfer and hate spending 5 plus hours on the golf course. But this one was well worth it
The sense of smell is amazing.

I am not against support dogs for emotional cripples. Prisons have programs with pups too.

I do not take kindly to people with dogs in public, with dogs who are not well trained excusing behaviors because "It's my support dog"

I would show people that the pup didn't understand words. HE understood something else, intonations of speech and more.

An I may be an A-hole to people like you, but pups love me. I gave up more for my pup than I've seen some people do for children. I gave lots of thought before I rescued him. I made promises to myself, not to the pup.

I never ever anthropomorphized things

Yes tone matters. When my dog was reaching his end I tried to inspire him with my tone, it wasn't working. He knew. He knew that I knew that he knew.

I did my best at that point going forward to hug him and remind him that G-d willing we will meet again. I pray we do.

Forum List

Back