Draft Horses For Pleasure Riding?

jackflash

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2020
USA
Any USMB'ers ever ride the BIG guys/gals??? If so what did U think of the experience? I am not talking competition riding but just plain ole pleasure riding.

1723720424555.jpeg

It's a good work horse as a cutter. And they are good for enjoyment riding. Smart....sometimes too smart.

But hay burners are really expensive and take too much money to be a hobby.
Land, feed, vet bills, barns, tack, trailer....it adds up quick. I rode the neighbors horses as a kid. The horses always needed the exercise and so long as you were competent nobody minded you riding them.

I haven't riden in years. Last horse I was on was a good cutting horse. (At a men's retreat) and if I wanted it they would have just given it to me. But what would I do with it?

My G-Grandfather had a team of them.....He made money by plowing town gardens, in-town logging, and hauling freight within the "old town".

LOL.....Most all those gardens have now sprouted homes on them. Almost all the older homes in town at that time sat on at least an acre or two.....Upon their owner's death the nice lots were chopped up and built upon.

Oddly enough the old barn where he kept the team is still standing. The landowner used it to store hay/feed for his horses but he died a year or so back and the horses are gone now.

Sigh, I saw survey ribbons around where it is so I suspect it will be torn down before long......Such is "progress".....You can't go back.

Forum List

Back