• Poll closed .

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
hey drifter let's brainstorm here till we pick a topic to debate
to inspire new thought directions, let's start with a poll
we can discuss before debating: which link is the coolest
or inspires the most creative new thoughts or direction?

I don't even have all the links/video's looked up yet
so part of the challenge is doing a scavenger search online

pls also post back links that you like also!

anyway here are some of my favorite links to
debate which you like the best and why:

1. Interview with God
2. 3D Sidewalk Art of Julian Beever
3. "Ping Pong Matrix Style" Japanese skit
4. "Revenge of the Nerds" - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
(outside the premiere of Star Wars making fun of the lineup,
full 10 minute video not the clips)
5. STORM by Tim Minchin
6. Perpetual Jazzile - A Cappella performance of "Africa" by Toto
(with the rainstorm at the beginning and end, not the clips)
7. Lazy Sunday - Chronicles of Narnia Rap Spoof by A. Samberg/SNL short
8. SNL sketch with Maya Rudolf exaggerating a gospel singer
murdering the National Anthem/Star Spangled Banner

When you find your favorite and I decide on mine
we can debate between those two. and prove what a special troll am I!

have fun
seeing if you can find these before I do....

White privilege :cool:

[ame=http://youtu.be/xqbw4nHrHc0]Louis CK On Being White with CC (closed captions) - YouTube[/ame]

Gay Bars

[ame=http://youtu.be/JVVg2HBSvt0]Stand-Up: Mark Normand - Gay Bars - YouTube[/ame]

Rush

[ame=http://youtu.be/Vzrxy9A7Ja4]george carlin describes rush limbaugh - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/un-4_J5oWMY]U.S. Prison/Industrial Complex - The New Slavery & The Sickness In The American System - YouTube[/ame]

Many corporations whose products we consume on a daily basis have learned that prison labor power can be as profitable as third world labor power exploited by U.S.-based global corporations. Both relegate formerly unionized workers to joblessness and many even wind up in prison.
Some of the companies that use prison labor are IBM, Motorola, Compaq, Texas Instruments, Honeywell, Microsoft, and Boeing. But it is not only the hi-tech industries that reap the profits of prison labor. Nordstrom department stores sell jeans that are marketed as "Prison Blues," as well as
t-shirts and jackets made in Oregon prisons. The advertising slogan for these clothes is "made on the inside to be worn on the outside." Maryland prisoners inspect glass bottles and jars used by Revlon and Pierre Cardin, and schools throughout the world buy graduation caps and
gowns made by South Carolina prisoners.

"For private business," write Eve Goldberg and Linda Evans (a political prisoner inside the Federal Correctional Institution at Dublin, California) "prison labor is like a pot of gold. No strikes. No union organizing. No health benefits, unemployment insurance, or workers' compensation to
pay. No language barriers, as in foreign countries. New leviathan prisons are being built on thousands of eerie acres of factories inside the walls. Prisoners do data entry for Chevron, make telephone reservations for TWA, raise hogs, shovel manure, make circuit boards, limousines,
waterbeds, and lingerie for Victoria's Secret -- all at a fraction of the cost of 'free labor.'"

Devouring the Social Wealth
Although prison labor -- which ultimately is compensated at a rate far below the minimum wage -- is hugely profitable for the private companies that use it, the penal system as a whole does not produce wealth. It devours the social wealth that could be used to subsidize housing for the
homeless, to ameliorate public education for poor and racially marginalized communities, to open free drug rehabilitation programs for people who wish to kick their habits, to create a national health care system, to expand programs to combat HIV, to eradicate domestic abuse -- and, in the process, to create well-paying jobs for the unemployed.

Racism Masked Racism: Reflections on the Prison Industrial Complex by Angela Davis

Forum List

Back