Drug pricing is getting out of hand.

Winston

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2016
North Carolina
Look, I don't care which side of the political spectrum you are on. Something has to be done about prescription drug prices. Half a trillion dollars last year was spent on prescription drugs. But today, checking on my insurance claims so far this year, I spotted the claim for my blood pressure medicine from CVS. It cost me nothing out of pocket. It cost the insurance company $23, that was the "negotiated discount" by the pharmacy benefit manager. Retail, $78. But hell, I could buy the same medication for seven dollars online, ten and have it auto refilled and sent to my doorstep every month WITH NO INSURANCE AND NO DISCOUNT CARD.

Many people complain about the manufacturers of those prescriptions. But look at CVS. Someone walks in with no insurance, no discount card and BAM they slam them with a 1000% higher price than the online drugstore. In any other market segment that would be clear and criminal price gouging. And that is bad, but yeah, you might attempt to argue that is what the person gets for not having insurance and not even downloading a discount card. But worse, who the hell is the PBM? What the hell kind of a "discount" did he "negotiate" when he is willing to pay $22 for a $7 medicine? Well let me tell you how this works. That $22 that the insurance paid, $14,50 went to CVS, and $7.50 went to the PBM working out of his home office in his boxer shorts. I know there is a special place in hell reserved just for him, a couple levels under Hitler.

Now here is the takeaway. The BBB act addressed this very problem. Those kickbacks to the PBM should be going to savings for the consumer, PERIOD. First of all, that means my insurance company would have had to pay no more than $14.50 for my prescription. But second, what kind of perverse incentive is working here. The PBM is not incentivized to work to decrease the cost of the drug. Hell, it is exactly the opposite. He wants to keep the price as high as he can over the true market clearing price in order to pad his fat ass wallet. Sinema and Manchin, well that addressing of the PBM kickbacks was the first thing they wanted eliminated from the BBB. I mean these people are absolute scoundrels with no morals whatsoever.

Look, I don't care which side of the political spectrum you are on. Something has to be done about prescription drug prices. Half a trillion dollars last year was spent on prescription drugs. But today, checking on my insurance claims so far this year, I spotted the claim for my blood pressure medicine from CVS. It cost me nothing out of pocket. It cost the insurance company $23, that was the "negotiated discount" by the pharmacy benefit manager. Retail, $78. But hell, I could buy the same medication for seven dollars online, ten and have it auto refilled and sent to my doorstep every month WITH NO INSURANCE AND NO DISCOUNT CARD.

Many people complain about the manufacturers of those prescriptions. But look at CVS. Someone walks in with no insurance, no discount card and BAM they slam them with a 1000% higher price than the online drugstore. In any other market segment that would be clear and criminal price gouging. And that is bad, but yeah, you might attempt to argue that is what the person gets for not having insurance and not even downloading a discount card. But worse, who the hell is the PBM? What the hell kind of a "discount" did he "negotiate" when he is willing to pay $22 for a $7 medicine? Well let me tell you how this works. That $22 that the insurance paid, $14,50 went to CVS, and $7.50 went to the PBM working out of his home office in his boxer shorts. I know there is a special place in hell reserved just for him, a couple levels under Hitler.

Now here is the takeaway. The BBB act addressed this very problem. Those kickbacks to the PBM should be going to savings for the consumer, PERIOD. First of all, that means my insurance company would have had to pay no more than $14.50 for my prescription. But second, what kind of perverse incentive is working here. The PBM is not incentivized to work to decrease the cost of the drug. Hell, it is exactly the opposite. He wants to keep the price as high as he can over the true market clearing price in order to pad his fat ass wallet. Sinema and Manchin, well that addressing of the PBM kickbacks was the first thing they wanted eliminated from the BBB. I mean these people are absolute scoundrels with no morals whatsoever.
Sometimes paying cash and using Good RX is a way better choice. Most people don't do the math. Especially at 90 or 180 days supply

Yer goanna get fucked no matter what, just try for less inches in...lol

Never could understand how the drug companies can charge hundreds and thousands for a freeking pill or shot, but our insurance only pays a few dollars.

So............why not just cut out the middle greed-mongers and buy directly from the drug companies for that dinky price????

In any other market segment that would be clear and criminal price gouging.
They do the same thing in hospitals. Insurance companies get "negotiated" prices and those without insurance get gouged. Probably because the hospital knows the uninsured will never be able to pay the ridiculous price, they will default and the hospital will write it off of the taxes on their profits.

They do the same thing in hospitals. Insurance companies get "negotiated" prices and those without insurance get gouged. Probably because the hospital knows the uninsured will never be able to pay the ridiculous price, they will default and the hospital will write it off of the taxes on their profits.
It's up to the American people to do something about the gouging. As a Canadian I have an idea but won't voice it because it's never appreciated as just friendly advice.

Oh hell, hospitals are even worse. So, you get in a bed, the first thing the damn nurse does is go over your meds. If you are staying overnight and on Medicare, then Medicare Part A pays for those prescriptions, and by law, BY FUCKING LAW, they can't negotiate a lower price. And the hospital doesn't give two shits if you brought your meds with you. They bill you for every single pill you are suppose to take, rather they dispense it or not. And holy hell, the blood pressure meds I was bitching about, seven dollars a month, the hospital probably bills Medicare twenty freakin bucks a day, making that 1000% markup at CVS look like a damn bargain.

And I understand the tax writeoff for inflated charges that are not paid. But the reality is, even if they collect only half the amount they bill from the uninsured, they are coming out ahead. I mean it is a fawking racket. The damn Mafia wished they had it this good.

Wait until it costs you $400 a month for an uncovered medicine After you pay a $1100 a month for insurance.

Isn't it fucking grand?

Oh hell, hospitals are even worse. So, you get in a bed, the first thing the damn nurse does is go over your meds. If you are staying overnight and on Medicare, then Medicare Part A pays for those prescriptions, and by law, BY FUCKING LAW, they can't negotiate a lower price. And the hospital doesn't give two shits if you brought your meds with you. They bill you for every single pill you are suppose to take, rather they dispense it or not. And holy hell, the blood pressure meds I was bitching about, seven dollars a month, the hospital probably bills Medicare twenty freakin bucks a day, making that 1000% markup at CVS look like a damn bargain.

And I understand the tax writeoff for inflated charges that are not paid. But the reality is, even if they collect only half the amount they bill from the uninsured, they are coming out ahead. I mean it is a fawking racket. The damn Mafia wished they had it this good.
Are they privately run hospitals?
None of that happens in Canada but I won't contribute further with an explanation until I'm asked.

Are they privately run hospitals?
None of that happens in Canada but I won't contribute further with an explanation until I'm asked.
Yeah, in Canada you'll die waiting for care or they will limit it if you don't vax. Try again duck. You've done yourself one better--now you won't even forward a position--so you don't have to support it.

Yeah, in Canada you'll die waiting for care or they will limit it if you don't vax. Try again duck. You've done yourself one better--now you won't even forward a position--so you don't have to support it.
If you or anyone else desires my Canadian contribution to this discussion, you all know that all you need to do is ask in a polite way.
And also, if it's applicable to this topic, I'll once again explain the reasons why Canada' health care and medical outcome is superior .................
Thank you for your interest!

If you or anyone else desires my Canadian contribution to this discussion, you all know that all you need to do is ask in a polite way.
And also, if it's applicable to this topic, I'll once again explain the reasons why Canada' health care and medical outcome is superior .................
Thank you for your interest!
I've gotten the run down on Canadian health care from people that provided it. I received a cardiac bypass in the US and from diagnosis to repairs was three days. I had three nurses from BC providing care. I asked them if it was true that I would receive that care "for free" in Canada and they answered in the affirmative with a caveat that I would have probably waited three months before the repair was made. That's good enough for me.

I've gotten the run down on Canadian health care from people that provided it. I received a cardiac bypass in the US and from diagnosis to repairs was three days. I had three nurses from BC providing care. I asked them if it was true that I would receive that care "for free" in Canada and they answered in the affirmative with a caveat that I would have probably waited three months before the repair was made. That's good enough for me.
I can respect your comments when they rise above your usual attempts to insult and to spam the thread. This reply is the exception to your usual behaviour and so it's deserving of a reply.

In cases where the surgery requires immediate attention, it is expedited to the top of the list, in the obvious interest of saving a life. Our Canadian medical outcome is considerably better than America's, which should speak to this question of waiting times.

All shortfalls of both countries considered, Canada's healthcare has never failed to be rated better than America's.

Why would anybody even try to buck the tide of criticism on US healthcare when it's not even disputed by either political party (or Trump) that it's broken?

*Thank you for your civil reply and your personal health information. I'll consider it to be true until I have reason to doubt it.

*I hesitate to believe the two B.C. nurses part of the story for now.

Yeah, I notice that people are breaking down Canada's doors looking for life saving medical care. Run along moron--put me on iggy---PLEASE.
You're on my ignore list along with Marvin and a few others. But you don't get the same luxury of being able to address me and not being reprimanded in return. (except when I choose)

Forum List

Back