🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Egypt - Student gets 3 yr. jail term for atheism

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
This young Egyptian man has just been sentenced to 3 years in jail for insulting Islam and declaring he is an atheist. He doesn't have freedom of speech in his country but it didn't stop him from speaking about what he believes and what he does not believe. His own father testified against him. It is encouraging to see that although his father is a coward, he is obviously not following in his father's footsteps. Please remember Karim in your prayers.

Egypt student gets 3-year jail term for atheism - Yahoo News

Cairo (AFP) - An Egyptian court has sentenced a student to three years in jail for announcing on Facebook that he is an atheist and for insulting Islam, his lawyer said Sunday.
Karim al-Banna, a 21-year-old whose own father testified against him, was jailed by a court in the Nile Delta province of Baheira on Saturday, lawyer Ahmed Abdel Nabi told AFP.

Last edited:
Isn't it sort of ironic to remember an atheist in one's prayers?

This was posted earlier today, but your OP is far more intelligent. As I noted in that thread, it's illegal in Egypt to dis Islam, Christianity or Judaism -- although simply being an atheist doesn't do that.

This young Egyptian man has just been sentenced to 3 years in jail for insulting Islam and declaring he is an atheist. He doesn't have freedom of speech in his country but it didn't stop him from speaking about what he believes and what he does not believe. His own father testified against him. It is encouraging to see that although his father is a coward, he is obviously not following in his father's footsteps. Please remember Karim in your prayers.

Egypt student gets 3-year jail term for atheism - Yahoo News

Cairo (AFP) - An Egyptian court has sentenced a student to three years in jail for announcing on Facebook that he is an atheist and for insulting Islam, his lawyer said Sunday.
Karim al-Banna, a 21-year-old whose own father testified against him, was jailed by a court in the Nile Delta province of Baheira on Saturday, lawyer Ahmed Abdel Nabi told AFP.

I thought Sissi gave a speech about a "revolution in Islam"? I guess it will take time.

Forum List

Back