Elio Motors $6800 car / 84 MPG on the way

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
The future of driving is looking bright, literally. In the video above, The Daily Ticker meets a new U.S. automaker, Elio Motors, with a bright orange prototype of its Elio automobile. It’s got one door, two seats, three wheels and stands to make driving more affordable for many Americans. Why? It’s being engineered to achieve 84 MPG on the highway at a cost of $6,800. It’s also being made in the U.S.A.

https://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dai...utomaker-s--6800--84-mpg-elio--142815228.html

Good. The technology has been around for a LONG time. It's about time something like this is going into production. I'll still drive an 8 cylinder pickup but I'm glad others who may not be able to afford a car or the high cost of fuel can overcome those hurdles.

I've been saying for years the industry can make good cheap cars but refuse to. Leave out the AC and PS and PB and PW and all the other silly frills the automakers keep adding so they can charge more. We don't need turn signals in the side mirrors.

Big trouble with small cars is they are less safe in a collision. That's why penalties for moving violations should vary with the listed weight of the car. Do 80 in a 60 while driving an elio and you get say a $200 fine. Do that in a 5000 pound SUV and the penalty should be $2,000 and loss of license for 6 months. That will give the big car drivers an incentive to obey the law. The bigger risk you pose to others when you break the law, the more you should pay.

Big trouble with small cars is they are less safe in a collision. That's why penalties for moving violations should vary with the listed weight of the car. Do 80 in a 60 while driving an elio and you get say a $200 fine. Do that in a 5000 pound SUV and the penalty should be $2,000 and loss of license for 6 months. That will give the big car drivers an incentive to obey the law. The bigger risk you pose to others when you break the law, the more you should pay.

A relative of mine had a dodge colt and broke his foot in an accident. He had his foot on the brake and it was a small car. The car was classified as a utility vehicle.

There is a law that says a car that is towed from an accident has to be reported to the state. I'm afraid that every accident reported to the state with these cars will put drivers into a category of unsafe accidents because I don't think the cars will stand up to a truck in an accident.

Do some physics. If you have a lightweight car hit a truck or SUV, you basically can get pushed into something or lose control because there is no weight holding down the car.

Good. The technology has been around for a LONG time. It's about time something like this is going into production. I'll still drive an 8 cylinder pickup but I'm glad others who may not be able to afford a car or the high cost of fuel can overcome those hurdles.

My old Chevy with a turbo v-8 gets 15 miles a gallon...blah, but I have a Grand Am that get 28 miles per gallon with a 6 cylinder turbo charger...
I almost bought a Trans Am ram jet v-8. I should have since they stopped production..

Last edited:
Do some physics. If you have a lightweight car hit a truck or SUV, you basically can get pushed into something or lose control because there is no weight holding down the car.

Yes - i know. People in big vehicles that break the law pose a huge risk to people in small cars. That's why the rolling tank drivers should be penalized more when they speed or drive drunk or run a red. A semi driver who does 80 in a 60 should never be allowed to drive a semi again.

I miss my '76 Triumph Spitfire soft top, I got around 50 miles a gallon..You could feel the road on your ass with that one...

My old Chevy with a turbo v-8 gets 15 miles a gallon...blah, but I have a Grand Am that get 28 miles per gallon with a 6 cylinder turbo charger...
I almost bought a Trans Am ram jet v-8. I should have since they stopped production..

Even big block 8s are starting to become more efficient. I have a need for power (and speed when necessary). I live very near the Rocky Mountains and need to be able to drive uphill without bogging down to a snail's pace.

I've been saying for years the industry can make good cheap cars but refuse to. Leave out the AC and PS and PB and PW and all the other silly frills the automakers keep adding so they can charge more. We don't need turn signals in the side mirrors.

I wouldn't call it a car, its a 2 seater motorcycle with a roof.

Even big block 8s are starting to become more efficient. I have a need for power (and speed when necessary). I live very near the Rocky Mountains and need to be able to drive uphill without bogging down to a snail's pace.

How do the transmissions hold out?

Crusading for a 45MPH speed limit?
Do us a favor....If you're white knuckle on the road, don't drive.

A relative of mine had a dodge colt and broke his foot in an accident. He had his foot on the brake and it was a small car. The car was classified as a utility vehicle.

There is a law that says a car that is towed from an accident has to be reported to the state. I'm afraid that every accident reported to the state with these cars will put drivers into a category of unsafe accidents because I don't think the cars will stand up to a truck in an accident.

Exactly. "Smart cars" aren't that smart, if you ask me.

It looks too fragile to me, hit a armadillo and its totaled.

How do the transmissions hold out?

Mine's in need of a tune up. Brakes are a bigger issue.

Forum List

Back