Elite Universities Have Not Sacrificed Excellence for Diversity

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
There is only one reason ANYONE would believe that diversity or multicuturalism is a bad thing. Especially in the year 2024. So now we see that everything the right has claimed is wrong....Again.

Elite Universities Have Not Sacrificed Excellence for Diversity​

1719719488286.png

Opinion by Christopher L. Eisgruber
The 20th President of Princeton University, where he is also the Laurance S. Rockefeller Professor of Public Affairs in the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs and the University Center for Human Values.

Anoxious and surprisingly commonplace myth has taken hold in recent years, alleging that elite universities have pursued diversity at the expense of scholarly excellence. Much the reverse is true: Efforts to grow and embrace diversity at America’s great research universities have made them better than ever. If you want excellence, you need to find, attract, and support talent from every sector of society, not just from privileged groups and social classes.

As the president of Princeton University, I see the benefits of that strategy on a daily basis—and never more vividly than when Princeton recognizes its most accomplished alumni. Later this month, for example, the university will honor Fei-Fei Li, a Chinese American immigrant who spent college weekends helping with her family’s dry-cleaning business, and now co-directs Stanford’s Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence.

Li exemplifies the connection between excellence and diversity, as do other recent Princeton-alumni award recipients, including American Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Anthony Romero, who grew up in a low-income housing project in the Bronx; Ariel Investments’ co–chief executive officer, Mellody Hobson, a Black woman brought up on Chicago’s South Side by a single mother who sometimes struggled to pay for rent or utilities; and General Mark Milley, a varsity hockey player from a blue-collar neighborhood in Winchester, Massachusetts.

There is only one reason ANYONE would believe that diversity or multicuturalism is a bad thing. Especially in the year 2024. So now we see that everything the right has claimed is wrong....Again.

View attachment 969300
The 20th President of Princeton University, where he is also the Laurance S. Rockefeller Professor of Public Affairs in the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs and the University Center for Human Values.

Anoxious and surprisingly commonplace myth has taken hold in recent years, alleging that elite universities have pursued diversity at the expense of scholarly excellence. Much the reverse is true: Efforts to grow and embrace diversity at America’s great research universities have made them better than ever. If you want excellence, you need to find, attract, and support talent from every sector of society, not just from privileged groups and social classes.

As the president of Princeton University, I see the benefits of that strategy on a daily basis—and never more vividly than when Princeton recognizes its most accomplished alumni. Later this month, for example, the university will honor Fei-Fei Li, a Chinese American immigrant who spent college weekends helping with her family’s dry-cleaning business, and now co-directs Stanford’s Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence.

Li exemplifies the connection between excellence and diversity, as do other recent Princeton-alumni award recipients, including American Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Anthony Romero, who grew up in a low-income housing project in the Bronx; Ariel Investments’ co–chief executive officer, Mellody Hobson, a Black woman brought up on Chicago’s South Side by a single mother who sometimes struggled to pay for rent or utilities; and General Mark Milley, a varsity hockey player from a blue-collar neighborhood in Winchester, Massachusetts.

So you disagree with MLK

During a meeting of King’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a man rose up from the audience, leapt onto the stage and smashed King in the face. Punched him hard. And then punched him again.

After the first punch, Branch recounts, King just dropped his hands and stood there, allowed the assailant (who turned out to be a member of the American Nazi Party) to punch him again. And when King’s associates tried to step in King stopped them:

“Don’t touch him!” King shouted. “Don’t touch him. We have to pray for him.”

View attachment 969300

Laughing%20at%20you-S.jpg

View attachment 969300

During a meeting of King’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a man rose up from the audience, leapt onto the stage and smashed King in the face. Punched him hard. And then punched him again.

After the first punch, Branch recounts, King just dropped his hands and stood there, allowed the assailant (who turned out to be a member of the American Nazi Party) to punch him again. And when King’s associates tried to step in King stopped them:

“Don’t touch him!” King shouted. “Don’t touch him. We have to pray for him.”
Try not bringing up Dr. with a peson who saw him while he was alive and doesn't try arguing using one sentence.

“First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."
-
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Love seeing a fool drowning in his illogical verbiage .

Here is how it goes from IQ2 :-
1. I have seen the light
2..Others have not and for just a single reason .
3.BUT that reason is my private secret .
4. And all of that hot air proves the moon is made from green cheese
5. And I am not a deluded compulsive /obsessive, even though I have given you this sermon a thousand times before .

What a braying Ass ,.

Love seeing a fool drowning in his illogical verbiage .

Here is how it goes from IQ2 :-
1. I have seen the light
2..Others have not and for just a single reason .
3.BUT that reason is my private secret .
4. And all of that hot air proves the moon is made from green cheese
5. And I am not a deluded compulsive /obsessive, even though I have given you this sermon a thousand times before .

What a braying Ass ,.
As usual, you're wrong. And as usual yur attemptto gaslight won't stop anything. So when you are capable of following white racists around and teling them to stop, instead of being part of them, I'll listen to you.

As usual, you're wrong. And as usual yur attemptto gaslight won't stop anything. So when you are capable of following white racists around and teling them to stop, instead of being part of them, I'll listen to you.
You are the last person I imagine who could listen to me and I am not sure that I want a reputation for saving lost souls .

But I lovelove seeing racists occasionally . There is nothing better than reminding the Hoi Poloi where the good things in life are found .

It's the same with we British and our dealings with americans -- occasionally we have to point out their flabby condition and low IQ .
A few slaps usually works wonders with the underclasses .

I don't see how pointing out 2 older white guys of the 4 notable alums proves DEI works but whatever.

Forum List

Back