ex-Foreign winner of Time Magazine Man Of The Year Mikhail Gorbachev, last leader of Soviet Union, has died at 91 "after a serious and long illness."

"they finally got rid of him, that windbag" - Russian-American businessman Cyril Kombarov reacts to Gorbachev being ousted from office in 1991

a lot of Russians adored Gorbachev at first but later switched their allegiance to Boris Yeltsin, who sought a break from the old world order

“The collapse of the Soviet Union was NOT the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century. The USSR collapse was a blessing to Georgians, Ukrainians and the whole of Central and Eastern Europe. And also to Russians”. - European Council President Donald Tusk

many disagree with Gorbachev to this day and think Soviet Russia cannot be reformed, and they say that even to write about it's autopsy is a waste of time, since the Soviet empire could not even provide bread and entertainment to it's citizens for plenty of years

brothers and sisters: Gorbachev was a visionary who was too good for his own country...that's why we must honor him well on this thread, my friends!

What George Kennan said about NATO expansion after the demise of the Soviet Union

FMQipTiaQAMnQdh

who would have thought that the Soviet Union, which defeated and survived Hitler, would collapse from within because of internal infighting and military, economic and ideological collapse

even Gorbachev admits that without the coup of August 1991, the Soviet Union would not have collapsed so thoroughly and quickly

"we just can't go on living like this" - Mikhail Gorbachev, March 1985

So do you side more w/the Russians, or the rest of the West?
I don’t believe Gorbachev was a great leader solely responsible for the end of the Cold War as our media keeps suggesting. I think the Russian people who regard him in low esteem have a good point.

Forum List

Back