Example Of What Happens When You Remove Profit Motive

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
I read an interesting article this morning about something that most people, especially mothers, now know about the importance of the human touch for an infant. Especially a premature born infant.

This is how that discovery happened. And what happens when you take profit out of research. If the government had not spent that money, this discovery never would have happened.

Private money and profit would have prevented this discovery from ever happening.

So all you conservatives who hate science and government spending are full of garbage.

Government can be the answer in some situations.

How A Failed Experiment On Rats Sparked A Billion-Dollar Infant-Care Breakthrough

A breakthrough? This has been known for many, many decades. Why were they wasting money on what had already been founded to be true? Wasteless spending.

A breakthrough? This has been known for many, many decades. Why were they wasting money on what had already been founded to be true? Wasteless spending.

You didn't read the article at all did you?

It was that study that was done DECADES ago that found that human touch promotes growth and saves billions of dollars.

As the scientists in that study said decades ago, if that project had been funded by private dollars that breakthrough never would have been found. The private funders would have put profit before science. Which means that the facts we know now and take for granted, would have never been discovered.

The project wasn't about stimulating growth with touch. That fact was found out when their original study was not successful as they wanted it to be.

At that point private money would have stopped for the project and the discoveries found from it never would have happened.

Government isn't the problem.

Alfred P. Sloan Foundation (science, technology, education, and other topics)
American Psychological Foundation (APA nonprofit organization)
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (wide range of programs)
Annie E. Casey Foundation (for disadvantaged children and their families)
Benton Foundation (social justice, communication, and the digital divide)
Carnegie Corporation of New York (education, peace, health, and other areas)
Charles A. Dana Foundation (health and education)
David and Lucile Packard Foundation (wide range of programs)
Foundation for Psychocultural Research (interdisciplinary research projects)
Ford Foundation (wide range of programs)
Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation (arts, education, environment/animal protection)
Glaser Progress Foundation (working to build a more just, sustainable future)
Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation (violence, aggression, and dominance)
The Haynes Foundation (social science research for the public good)
James McDonnell Foundation (biomedical and behavioral sciences)
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation (wide range of programs)
John and Mary R. Markle Foundation (media and communications technology)
John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation (wide range of grants areas)
John Templeton Foundation (exploring "life's biggest questions")
Pew Charitable Trusts (wide range of programs)
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (health, health care, and substance abuse)
Rockefeller Brothers Fund (wide range of programs)
Russell Sage Foundation (research in the social sciences)
Turner Foundation (environmental protection and population control)
William T. Grant Foundation (research that improves the lives of young people)
W. W. Kellogg Foundation (helping people help themselves)

just a few private funding sources for psychological type research.

LOL. Mothers have known that since man existed. Hell, even animals know it. Good job of proving what waste and fraud exists when the public titty is ripe for a good milking.

So all you conservatives who hate science and government spending are full of garbage.

Government can be the answer in some situations.
GRAPHAstrologyScientificTruth_zpsd808be1b.png

LOL. Mothers have known that since man existed. Hell, even animals know it. Good job of proving what waste and fraud exists when the public titty is ripe for a good milking.

Wrong.

I'm living proof of what happens when a premature baby is put in an incubator and not given any physical stimulation.

I was born a month early and only 4 lbs. It's a long story involving a car accident that I won't post but I wasn't expected to live past birth. Today that's not such a big deal but when I was born it was. When I was born a good percentage of them didn't survive.

I was put in an incubator, as my mom used to say, to cook for a couple months. Everything was kept sterile and no one touched me. The doctors wouldn't allow it back then.

Today I'm 5ft 3/4 of an inch tall. While my brother is over 6 feet and one sister is 5 ft 7 in tall. Both of them were full term.

My other sister was a premature baby also. She was put in an incubator the same way I was. She wasn't in that incubator as long as I was, I was born earlier than she was.

Today that sister is 5 ft 1 inch tall.

Fast forward to the 1990s.

That sister of mine who was also a premature baby had her second child in 1998. That second child was also a premature baby and put in an incubator. However in 1998 doctors and mothers knew about touching and growth/development. My sister and her husband weren't kept from touching and holding her, in fact the doctors and nurses encouraged it. That premature child is just as tall as my child (she was full term) who is 5 feet 7 inches tall at the age of 16. Both of them have 2 more years of growth to go. My sister's daughter was born around 6 months after my daughter was born.

So no, you're wrong.

That article proves you're wrong. It's very weird to see someone make claims like that when the facts say the opposite.

I know people like you hate science and don't want new discoveries. Thank goodness that you're in the minority.

Wrong.

I'm living proof of what happens when a premature baby is put in an incubator and not given any physical stimulation.

I was born a month early and only 4 lbs. It's a long story involving a car accident that I won't post but I wasn't expected to live past birth. Today that's not such a big deal but when I was born it was. When I was born a good percentage of them didn't survive.

I was put in an incubator, as my mom used to say, to cook for a couple months. Everything was kept sterile and no one touched me. The doctors wouldn't allow it back then.

Today I'm 5ft 3/4 of an inch tall. While my brother is over 6 feet and one sister is 5 ft 7 in tall. Both of them were full term.

My other sister was a premature baby also. She was put in an incubator the same way I was. She wasn't in that incubator as long as I was, I was born earlier than she was.

That sister of mine who was also a premature baby had her second child in 1998. That second child was also a premature baby and put in an incubator. However in 1998 doctors and mothers knew about touching and growth/development. My sister and her husband weren't kept from touching and holding her, in fact the doctors and nurses encouraged it. That premature child is just as tall as my child (she was full term) who is 5 feet 7 inches tall at the age of 16. Both of them have 2 more years of growth to go. My sister's daughter was born around 6 months after my daughter was born.

So no, you're wrong.

That article proves you're wrong. It's very weird to see someone make claims like that when the facts say the opposite.

I know people like you hate science and don't want new discoveries. Thank goodness that you're in the minority.
You were obviously born with a mental deficit as well then. You said science discovered the value of a mother's touch. It's not been a secret, it's a natural instinct and likely effects all aspects of growth and health. So how am I wrong? I don't hate science, I hate assholes that make the claim if you disagree with them. Go fuck yourself.

Wrong.

So no, you're wrong.

You were obviously born with a mental deficit as well then. You said science discovered the value of a mother's touch. It's not been a secret, it's a natural instinct and likely effects all aspects of growth and health. So how am I wrong? I don't hate science, I hate assholes that make the claim if you disagree with them. Go fuck yourself.

Wow you really are filled with hate aren't you?

I present a scientific study and you just ignore it.

Before that study premature babies weren't touched or given much of any stimulation. The doctors wouldn't allow it. They didn't know that touch would stimulate growth.

You can argue with me all you want but the scientific facts prove you wrong.

I don't know what's with you but no normal person would dispute the study and findings.

As for your vulgar language, it just proves that you don't have any logical or honest facts to back you up.

I do.

Oh, and this study happened over 35 years ago. So yes this information has been known for decades but it wasn't known how the information was discovered. I guess the fact that it proves that government isn't the problem is a big problem for you.

Wow you really are filled with hate aren't you?

I present a scientific study and you just ignore it.

Before that study premature babies weren't touched or given much of any stimulation. The doctors wouldn't allow it. They didn't know that touch would stimulate growth.

You can argue with me all you want but the scientific facts prove you wrong.

I don't know what's with you but no normal person would dispute the study and findings.

As for your vulgar language, it just proves that you don't have any logical or honest facts to back you up.

I do.

Oh, and this study happened over 35 years ago. So yes this information has been known for decades but it wasn't known how the information was discovered. I guess the fact that it proves that government isn't the problem is a big problem for you.
You're the one filled with hate. Your silly psychological projections don't disguise it. Disagreeing with you is defined as anti-science. The scientific community says lots of things all the time. Often reversing their findings later so questioning a study isn't unscientific.

The fact that the scientific community at one time thought it best to leave babies in an incubator untouched is a case in point. How many more tax dollars should we spend on what humans have known all along? The article on HuffPo is typical of the left nut trash that rails against any attempt at fiscal responsibility by demonizing the right.

Forum List

Back